World Card Making Day

World Card Making Day

Postby Mary Kobe » September 29th, 2011, 10:15 am

I hope everyone remembers my post about making 400 cards for our servicemen and women serving in Iraq and Afghanistan. We are hoping that we can get names and addresses of men and women in our community that are stationed in the Mid-East.

Here is the update!!!!

We have made 20 different cards and we will be making 20 of each card. The students in Phi Theta Kappa (our college's honor program), came up with ideas and I cut all the pieces out. They have colored, glued, and trimmed paper for the last several weeks. When some students were working on projects, others would stop by and ask if they could help. This is part of their "service learning" project.

Saturday is our big day! We are prepared to make 400 cards. This has been one big undertaking, but we will get them all done. The cards are not fancy and a little plain. Since I donated all supplies, I had to scale back somewhere. (I could not part with all my "good" stuff! LOL)

The students are asking what they will do after the cards are done! They have really enjoyed this! And they like all the "cool tools", as they call them! The honors director and I have decided we will do this next semester, but on a smaller scale! LOL maybe only 200! And we would find a local organization that could benefit from the cards.

In addition, some students have asked if I would help with other Service Learning projects! What have I gotten myself into? LOL

Thanks to all of you who gave me the encouragement to carry on even when I was told by a colleage that "no one would ever need 400 cards" and that "there is really not a need".
Mary Kobe

Re: World Card Making Day

Postby Retta » September 29th, 2011, 10:18 am

Oh Mary - you are just wonderful and they know it. Those kids love that they can help with a project with a purpose and they want to do more. Love it and am so glad for all of you.
Retta

Cutter: 13" Cat CS4/Inkscape signcut

Postby Suzan » September 29th, 2011, 10:40 am

Mary I am so happy this has turned out so well. Maybe this could turn into a full time job with lots of funding. Think how awesome that could be.
Suzan
Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart!

http://www.simplycustomforyou.com
Suzan

Cutter: 13" Cougar 15" Silver Bullet

Postby kate3 » September 29th, 2011, 11:52 am

Mary, You are lovely and I know they had fun helping. I love once a year taking a group of grade 4 kids one afternoon a week and teaching them for 6 weeks. Last time I taught them how to paint and I am still cringing when I look at what they did to my very expensive brushes. They had a ball. Their parents didn't believe they had painted them without me helping but they did. They love to squeeze paint tubes in the middle as well but I have plenty of those. I have now learned to not take my best stuff for that age group.
Next year is cutout shapes and boxes they can put to together and decorate. I am NOT taking glitter. :shock:
kate3

Postby Phyllis » September 29th, 2011, 12:15 pm

Mary and Kate, what a wonderful person you are to work with these kids. Hope you are able to get an address for the servicemen.
Last edited by Phyllis on September 30th, 2011, 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phyllis

Postby Retta » September 29th, 2011, 12:41 pm

Kate - how great. I love doing this. No glitter, but you have to use glue and glitter!!!! Can't wait to see the results!
Retta

Cutter: 13" Cat CS4/Inkscape signcut

Postby Elizabeth » September 29th, 2011, 1:31 pm

Mary, I'm so glad to hear that your project is having such great success. Of course those students want to spend more time with you!
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
http://shrinkingmimsy.blogspot.com/[/url]

Totally addicted to cutting with my new 24 inch Silver Bullet!
Elizabeth

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby JeannetteC » September 29th, 2011, 1:33 pm

Mary, that sounds great! It's great to see the kids buy into the service projects and get excited about doing more.
I wonder for supplies if a craft store would assist if they knew what you are doing. It would help the bottom line so that you aren't limited by the cost as much.

Kate, the kids must have loved that! We use to have a program like that with building stuff. A couple retired teachers would show up for 2-3 weeks, once a week and teach the children how to use basic tools, then build a simple item with them. They did it with a variety of grades, with different levels of projects for the different grades. For many of the kids, it was the first time handling tools, and fun to help them learn. They always needed extra parents, so whenever it came up for my kids, I would volunteer to help out.
JeannetteC

Postby MichelleMyBelle » September 29th, 2011, 2:04 pm

Mary, what a great project. I'm sure the students are enjoying this learning experience. Wonderful way to give back!
MichelleMyBelle

Cutter: Pro 18, Foil Master, Platinum 24"

Postby Gigi » September 29th, 2011, 2:18 pm

Awesome project, Mary - so glad you were able to get the support you needed - and deserved!
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby CaseysAngel » September 29th, 2011, 8:51 pm

It will be GREAT honey!! I hope complete faith in you!!!!!!
CaseysAngel

Postby kate3 » September 29th, 2011, 9:31 pm

Mary, I was just reading the posts and Jeannette's gave me an idea. Next time I can send you some card stock or whatever you need. Heaven knows I have enough of it and anyone else who wants to can send it too. It is for a great cause and the students would love having fun with you again. This is one thing I call putting some of my supplies to a great use.
kate3

Postby Mary Kobe » September 30th, 2011, 4:30 am

Kate, that is so sweet of you! I used the products that I had at home and only had to buy some tape runners and Zig glue, and I can always use those.

I sent many requests to scrapbook vendors and asked for donations. They replied with the "We are sorry" letter. That's ok. It all worked out!

We are going to have a donation jar set up to help with the cost of postage. Any money that is left over will be put into a fund for future projects.
Mary Kobe

Postby LisaH » September 30th, 2011, 6:34 am

Congrats Mary! You ARE doing a worthwhile thing here, not only for those in service but for those students as well!!!
LisaH

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby kate3 » September 30th, 2011, 7:19 am

Mary,
Just let me know what would help and when. I am happy share and help.
kate3

Postby kim » September 30th, 2011, 9:39 am

Mary, you need to put a call out for supplies the next time you do this. Goodness knows I have enough stuff to spare for such a good cause. I just threw out a ton of different art supplies that I have gathered through the years due to VBS and DS's school projects. The stuff was so old and dried up. I gave the rest of the non-perishables away. I seem to collect a lot of that kind of stuff due to school projects.

Cardstock and glue is one thing I am not short of.
Mommy to a Silver Bullet 24" , a Black Cat Cougar 24" AND a Foil Master!
kim

Cutter: SB 24" and BC 24"

Postby Mary Kobe » September 30th, 2011, 10:36 am

Here is a sample of one of the cards. I did not have the heart to tell them the helmet was backwards.

DSC01780.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mary Kobe

Postby Gigi » September 30th, 2011, 10:40 am

Oh Mary - that card is so cool - and it's the thought that counts.

As far as cost, what if we set up a PayPal donation account and I bet we could get your postage and supplies covered in a flash! Just a thought....

Again- congratulations on ALL you accomplished. You will be touching so many lives in such a meaningful way.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby kate3 » September 30th, 2011, 10:43 am

What Gigi said would work too. There is no way I could send anything to you under $20.00 postage and I would rather that $20.00 went to a better use.
kate3

Postby Suzan » September 30th, 2011, 10:55 am

kate3 wrote:Mary, You are lovely and I know they had fun helping. I love once a year taking a group of grade 4 kids one afternoon a week and teaching them for 6 weeks. Last time I taught them how to paint and I am still cringing when I look at what they did to my very expensive brushes. They had a ball. Their parents didn't believe they had painted them without me helping but they did. They love to squeeze paint tubes in the middle as well but I have plenty of those. I have now learned to not take my best stuff for that age group.
Next year is cutout shapes and boxes they can put to together and decorate. I am NOT taking glitter. :shock:

What no glitter, you mean you don't want glitter all over the place in your hair, eyes, ears and nose. Wow no fun at all. How about glitter glue pens or glittery gel pens. That is neat what you are doing. I did that for Valeries 1st grade class. But I cut out little wooden trees for them to paint and they then decorated soup cans for the trees for Christmas.
Suzan
Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart!

http://www.simplycustomforyou.com
Suzan

Cutter: 13" Cougar 15" Silver Bullet

Next

Return to General