Cutting fabric

Cutting fabric

Postby Tyler » September 23rd, 2011, 2:30 pm

Has anyone cut fabric with the machines? I have not really tried and am curious what has worked for people.
Tyler

Cutter: Silver Bullet 13"

Re: Cutting fabric

Postby Suzan » September 23rd, 2011, 2:31 pm

yes and it works
Suzan
Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart!

http://www.simplycustomforyou.com
Suzan

Cutter: 13" Cougar 15" Silver Bullet

Postby pigtailpat » September 23rd, 2011, 2:48 pm

I know it will work for the cougar, as I have done it on the gazzy. I haven't done it yet on the cougar, as I need much more experience on quilting in general before I even touch applique. When I am ready, I will try on the cougar as well.
New owner of an 18" cougar and the gazelle...still a newbie at the cougar and will soon explore it............
pigtailpat

Postby Suzan » September 23rd, 2011, 2:53 pm

I am a self taught quilter Pat and applique was the easiest of all the quilts I made. It is so much fun. I should do another one, one of these days.
Suzan

Suzan

Postby pigtailpat » September 23rd, 2011, 3:09 pm

Suzan -

I need more information on things like borders, putting everything together, binding, backing, and then finally the actual quilting on the top. When I am finished with the complete - start to finish - charity quilt, and have one truly completed project under my belt, that is when I am going to try small applique projects of my own. I will likely use the cougar for it, I have a great design (a flower) made from a photoshop brush I want to try. It is all mine! No one else's and it will result in a very unique looking project.
New owner of an 18" cougar and the gazelle...still a newbie at the cougar and will soon explore it............
pigtailpat

Postby Suzan » September 23rd, 2011, 3:32 pm

That I have done by the seat of my pants basically, like I said I am so self taught. I usually am lazy and tie my quilts, and borders, I always use strips from the actual piece I am working on and alternate the colors, until it is the size I want. And I really cheat with the binding I take and turn under the edges of the final border strip and sew it on. Some how or another it always works out for me. And I can't figure out why.
Suzan

Suzan

Postby Gigi » September 23rd, 2011, 4:41 pm

Suzan wrote:yes and it works

Suzan - did you have to use a stabilizer of any kind on it or did you just use the fabric as is???
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby Suzan » September 23rd, 2011, 4:51 pm

Fabric and wonder under ironed on the back
Suzan

Suzan

Postby Gigi » September 23rd, 2011, 4:57 pm

Thanks Suzan - I figured it would need something like that but wanted to ask. Need to add it to my LONG 8-) list of things to try!!
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby Phyllis » September 23rd, 2011, 5:01 pm

You all are impressing the heck out of me with your quilting abilities. I would love to see some of your quilts, please post pictures. My Mom did quilting but none of it rubbed off on me. LOL.
Phyllis

Postby fairwayflunkie » September 23rd, 2011, 5:01 pm

Well that's what I bought my cougar for and I haven't even tried it yet :D I got sidetracked with all this card making stuff ;) ...Susan did you put the fabric side down on the mat or the paper (from the wonder under)? What blade did you use etc...etc...

TIA
Nancy
fairwayflunkie

Postby fairwayflunkie » September 23rd, 2011, 5:09 pm

Okay I'll bite...mind you these are customer quilts...I quilted them but didn't piece them...The first one is the one I've got on the frame now...that I should be quilting instead of being on the forum :ROFLMBO: :ROFLMBO: The second one is the quilt guild tablecloth and the third one is a vintage tablecloth that I tacked on to a backing and quilted the crapola out of it....gave it to my sister...she uses it as a headboard of her spare bed....oops obviously going backwards on the pics :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nancy
fairwayflunkie

Postby Suzan » September 23rd, 2011, 5:27 pm

BEautiful work,
Suzan

Suzan

Postby Phyllis » September 23rd, 2011, 5:28 pm

Oh my gosh, Nancy, how beautiful. So you have some sort of quilting machine that quilts all those fancy patterns? I can't imagine how big this machine is. Do any of you quilt by hand or is that method not used anymore?
Phyllis

Postby Suzan » September 23rd, 2011, 5:44 pm

I can't remember how it was put down, I am sorry. I am just blank. I would think if it were material down that would be best, but I could be wrong
Suzan

Suzan

Postby Angel135612 » September 23rd, 2011, 5:49 pm

Here are a few of my quilts that I have made over the years. The bottom one is one of the first I made called Trip Around the World. I made 7 of those in one year for each member of my family. I haven't made that many quilts in a year since then... LOL The middle two are called One Block Wonders, take one fabric, cut it at the repeat, make 6 layers then cut into triangles and sew them into hexagons. Each hexagon is a little different then the others. The top one is a 4 Patch Posie, using 4 layers of the repeat and cutting into squares. I have a few others that are in progress, but I haven't touched my quilting since I got my Cougar... LOL I need to get back to them.

Actual Quilt 4 Patch Posie.jpg
Cinammon Twirl.jpg
Midnight Oasis.jpg
Trip Around The World 1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby fairwayflunkie » September 23rd, 2011, 5:59 pm

Thanks gals...Phyllis I have a quilting machine....I used to quilt by hand...was never any good at it....so I bought a quilting machine and two years ago I bought an Intelliquilter computer robotic system (IQ for short) and that has been a blessing let me tell you...I quilt anywhere from 10 to 15 quilts per month and I still have a day job (4 days a week)...Here is a side pic of the maching...it's on a 12 foot track system...ignore the saggy backing...that went back to the customer for straightening....

Angel beautiful quilts...I made two of those one block wonders...my fabric were a titch louder :ROFLMBO: :ROFLMBO: needed sunglasses....
Nancy
fairwayflunkie

Postby Phyllis » September 23rd, 2011, 6:08 pm

Angel, those are beautiful. Do you have a machine like Nancy's?

Nancy, now that's the way to quilt. You sure need a lot of space for that.

Thanks ladies, so much for posting these.
Phyllis

Postby Thyme » September 23rd, 2011, 6:29 pm

All the quilts are BEAUTIFUL!
Thyme

Postby Angel135612 » September 23rd, 2011, 6:45 pm

Phyllis, No, I don't have a long arm quilting machine.. no room in my house for one of those. I still struggle with quilting my quilts on my regular sewing machine. Although I did quilt one quilt using my embroidery attachment... that wasn't too bad, but it was a lot of hooping and unhooping. But easier than trying to move my quilts free hand through my machine.

I enjoy the piecing of the quilts more than the quilting... I may have to start budgeting to send my quilts out to be quilted.. may save my sanity.. LOL

Nancy, I love making the One Block Wonders, and I even have some fabric that I purchased to make more of them, but haven't gotten around to them yet. And I love the 4 Patch Posies also.. much easier than the OBW.. since you are not sewing on the bias. It was a lot of fun to go looking for fabric that would be suitable for those quilts. I have a few others that the tops are complete, but I haven't taken pictures of them yet.

Here is one more quilt I made not too long ago... It is a variation of Storm at Sea.. I used Electric Quilt to design this quilt. I think one of the first quilts I used the software from start to finish.

A Study in Black and White.jpg
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Next

Return to General