SOFTWARE

SOFTWARE

Postby janrichards » September 20th, 2011, 7:35 am

Another question for the board. Are you using SCAL or MTC? I have both but got SCAL first and am very partial to it. If you have both which one do you find works best with the Lynx and why?
Jan
janrichards

Cutter: 15" Lynx

Re: SOFTWARE

Postby CaseysAngel » September 20th, 2011, 8:02 am

I have a Black Cat and use both but will admit I am VERY partial to MTC. I just find it much easier to use BUT I started with MTC.

That being said if you are use to SCAL I don't find a difference in the cutting except Todd seems to have the speed/force figured out where in MTC it's way off when setting it via the software, or mine is, but quite honestly I don't use that feature anyway.

A big thing I've noticed though is I don't get the flipping communication errors, access denied, and all that when cutting from SCAL like I do with MTC. Quite possibly because I don't cut from SCAL as much I'm not quite sure. Also, Andy may have very well fixed those issues in these last few updates. I haven't updated my software since 3.3.3 so I don't know. I need to find time to do that but I don't seem to be finding any time to craft these days.LOL

All that to say either one will cut great to your Cougar/lynx so if you are more comforatable with SCAL over MTC then use it honey.
CaseysAngel

Postby rachellann » September 20th, 2011, 8:18 am

I have both and had scal first both are great programs with each there own with the lastest updates to MTC in the 4.0.4 Andy has added some realy great features while I use each I am not wanting to sway either way because each of us has a program we favor one over the other and I can't wait for the New BlackCat soft ware to come out as I love trying and getting to know each program for all they can do.
Helping where I can when I can.
Using a 24" Silver Bullet Pro and also have a 18" Cougar
rachellann

Cutter: 18 Cougar, 24"Silver Bullet

Postby Angel135612 » September 20th, 2011, 8:30 am

I don't care for SCAL, because it reminds me too much of Design Studio, and I can't stand that program. I love MTC, I find it easy to use and there are a lot of cool features to it. I also prefer MTC because I don't have to pay for updates to the program like you do with SCAL. I also am learning Inkscape and Signcut, so I have a choice of what I want to do. There are some things like engraving large designs that I can't do in MTC or SCAL because the files are just too large, so I need to use Inkscape and Signcut.

If you are partial to SCAL then by all means keep using it. I think it's great that we have so many choices on what software we want to use.
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby pigtailpat » September 20th, 2011, 8:55 am

Jan -

I'm exactly like Diane, I won't purchase or use SCAL because of the handles - it looks and feels exactly like Cricut Design Studio, and for that reason, I can't stand to look at it. So because I don't like the look of it, I won't use it or purchase it until Todd at least makes normal handles as an option (I've sent him at least 2 emails asking for that option and posted in the forum - he hasn't been that responsive). Consequently, it's been .mtc for me.

Pat
New owner of an 18" cougar and the gazelle...still a newbie at the cougar and will soon explore it............
pigtailpat

Postby Phyllis » September 20th, 2011, 9:22 am

I have both and used both but have been using SCAL because it's a Mac version, but I'll have to admit that I prefer MTC. I have been quite frustrated that Andy refuses to consider a Mac version but oh well. I have only had to pay for one update to SCAL but not sure how that will work when he teams up with Sizzix since I'm sure the software will be different. With that being said, my hopes are that Dawn's software will eliminate both of them. My dream is to have one software that does it all. Am I asking for too much, :D ?
Phyllis

Postby pigtailpat » September 20th, 2011, 9:44 am

If my niece ever gets into the crafts like myself, because she has a mac and my sister-in-law is a die-hard mac lover - - I would get her a lynx when she is older. Because BC studio will be mac friendly, that will be a huge plus to alot of people.

Pat
New owner of an 18" cougar and the gazelle...still a newbie at the cougar and will soon explore it............
pigtailpat

Postby CaseysAngel » September 20th, 2011, 10:11 am

Phyllis wrote:I have both and used both but have been using SCAL because it's a Mac version, but I'll have to admit that I prefer MTC. I have been quite frustrated that Andy refuses to consider a Mac version but oh well. I have only had to pay for one update to SCAL but not sure how that will work when he teams up with Sizzix since I'm sure the software will be different. With that being said, my hopes are that Dawn's software will eliminate both of them. My dream is to have one software that does it all. Am I asking for too much, :D ?

I don't think it's that Andy is REFUSING to do a MAC version. It's my understanding he doesn't write MAC software so he'd need to find someone that does. Don't quote me on that but I believe that's what he said.
CaseysAngel

Postby Phyllis » September 20th, 2011, 10:17 am

Oh OK, I must have missed that statement by him. My apologizes to him and everyone else. Sometimes I speak too soon.
Phyllis

Postby CaseysAngel » September 20th, 2011, 10:28 am

Phyllis wrote:Oh OK, I must have missed that statement by him. My apologizes to him and everyone else. Sometimes I speak too soon.

your fine honey, and I may be the one wrong, but I believe that's the case.
CaseysAngel

Postby Phyllis » September 20th, 2011, 10:38 am

Makes sense, he is very good at keeping his software up to date, I admire him for that.
Phyllis

Postby Thyme » September 20th, 2011, 12:39 pm

When we were first talking with Andy he did say he was going to make a mac version, it changed later
Thyme

Postby Linda V » September 20th, 2011, 1:13 pm

I use MTC and Inkscape/Signcut. It depends on the project that I am working on which one I use. I haven't updated MTC to the 4.00000 whatever yet as haven't had time. But will do so in the next couple of days. Used SCAL trial a few times a long time ago and didn't like for the same reason others mentioned tooo much like DS. Both are excellent and have different learning curves, but once you master the basics it is pretty easy to figure out the rest. I also am looking forward to the new BC Software. But, each person should use whatever they are the most comfortable with as with machines.
Linda V
From Beautiful KY

"Kind Words and Deeds Never Die"

Gooooo CATS!
Linda V

Postby beanie21787 » September 20th, 2011, 2:51 pm

janrichards wrote:Another question for the board. Are you using SCAL or MTC? I have both but got SCAL first and am very partial to it. If you have both which one do you find works best with the Lynx and why?
Jan

I started with SCAL but I am an MTC lover I never use scal
beanie21787

Cutter: lynx 12

Postby Retta » September 20th, 2011, 4:01 pm

I have MTC and tried Scal. I find that there are so many more options with Inkscape. Once you get the hang of just a little of it, it is pretty easy to do.
Retta

Cutter: 13" Cat CS4/Inkscape signcut

Postby kim » September 30th, 2011, 12:14 pm

i had the original SCAL and then bought SCAL2. Right after I ordered the SCAL2, I found out about MTC and bought it. I never used the SCAL2 (I never did care for SCAL! as I had to learn it and Inkscape both, which was too much for me!) and fell in love with MTC and it's ease of use. Since then, I got my Cougar and have only used MTC with my Cougar. I don't have any problems with the two working together. The only issue I come up against is that MTC can't handle some of the large files I try to create, such as the large engraving files that I want to do. This is a memory problem that MTC has. Andy never anticipated us doing some of the things that we are doing in the program.

I'm sure SCAL is a wonderful program but for one that was not used to graphics programs and the lingo, trying to learn it and Inkscape was way over my head. Now that I have been slowly understanding the boolean joins, path, etc lingo of the softwares, I am probably more able to tackle Inkscape and SCAL and other graphics programs than I was when I started out.
Mommy to a Silver Bullet 24" , a Black Cat Cougar 24" AND a Foil Master!
kim

Cutter: SB 24" and BC 24"

Postby janrichards » September 30th, 2011, 7:52 pm

Yeah, wish I could learn Inkscape but I am pretty sure I won't live that long! I have used SCAL for about 4 years now and I like the way it handles text much better and I am just used to it. I can use MTC if need be but it isn't my preference. Thanks for all of the input.
Jan
janrichards

Cutter: 15" Lynx

Postby Gigi » September 30th, 2011, 11:38 pm

Jan -

I felt the same way about Inkscape, but if you take it in little pieces and just do one thing at a time - it starts to get easier. I have TONS to still learn - not sure I will ever learn all there is, but everyone here has been so encouraging and helpful and it does feel good when you master something. Just take it in pieces and learn what you need to learn as you go.

I think you will get it - if I can learn enough to use it and get by, so can you!! That being said, I am so eager for Dawn's software - I think it will be the best of all worlds!
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby Thyme » October 1st, 2011, 4:04 am

Jan, if you prefer Scal then you use Scal. You use whatever is your choice and that you feel comfortable with
Thyme

Return to General