A Blade question

A Blade question

Postby craftylady » September 14th, 2011, 7:23 pm

Hi Guys:

I have just returned to the states after being away for a couple of months and ready to get back using my cougar. I need to order some things now and I was wondering about the new blue click holder that I have just been reading about. I was thinking of ordering the detailed blade holder. Do I need both of them??? If I buy the detailed blade holder, do I need the 60 degree detailed blade - if I buy the blue click holder - what about blades for that? Should I get a 45 and 60 degree. I do really want to cut chipboard for one thing. I want to make a jig saw puzzle.

Sorry for all the questions - but I need help with this.

Thanks, Valerie
craftylady

Re: A Blade question

Postby Elizabeth » September 14th, 2011, 7:38 pm

Hi Valerie,
Welcome back! The new click holder replaces the older redish pink one. I don't have it, but everyone who does seems to love it. The detail blade holder is terrific for more intricate cuts. I have it, and mostly use the 45 degree blade, as I prefer it for cutting card stock. I would think that if you prefer the 60 degree blade for cardstock, and that is what you will be cutting, that you would want to use on the detail holder as well. I recently used the 60 degree blade in my original holder to cut some cereal boxes. It worked great. I have the long shaft blade as well, for the thicker chipboard, but I haven't succcesfully cut with it yet. (unless you call cutting through the chipboard and my mat successful, LOL! :oops: )
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
http://shrinkingmimsy.blogspot.com/[/url]

Totally addicted to cutting with my new 24 inch Silver Bullet!
Elizabeth

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby Tyler » September 14th, 2011, 7:40 pm

The new click holder is awesome! However, it has the same function as the standard blade holder. The detailed blade holder has a different purpose and is able to cut just a bit more intricate cuts. The detailed blade holder requires detailed blades while the click holder requires the standard 45/60 degree blades.

Unfortunently, they are not interchangeable. Hope that helps! Welcome back!
Tyler

Cutter: Silver Bullet 13"

Postby craftylady » September 14th, 2011, 11:13 pm

Hi Guys - thanks for the responses. I will have to put some thought into what I actually want. I know I want to cut out a puzzle as I have said, but I also do quite a lot of intricate work, so I am definitely thinking of getting the detailed blade holder and blade.

Thanks again.

Valerie
craftylady

Postby Gigi » September 14th, 2011, 11:37 pm

Just to be sure you know - there are two different blades for the detailed holder - the 45 and 60 - just as there are two for the regular. And if you are cutting chipboard, you want the 60 degree plus . Just one more thing to think about.........

Good luck!!
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby craftylady » September 15th, 2011, 6:06 pm

Thanks for that info CAGigi. There are so many different blade holders and blades, it is sometimes confusing (and it doesn't take much to confuse me lol). For example, what is the difference between the long blade and the plus blade?? Which one would I need to cut chipboard? I do want to have a go at a jigsaw puzzle. My son got married last year and I thought it would be kind of fun to use one of their photos and make a jigsaw puzzle - also others for Christmas gifts. I do also do quite a lot of intricate cuts, so do need a blade for those type of cuts and I assume that is what I would need the detailed blade older for.

Thanks for responding, Valerie

These aren't cheap to purchase, so that is why I thought I would ask questions here, before I buy. When I add things up I am hitting the $200 mark, so I want to be sure I am ordering the right things.
craftylady

Postby Gigi » September 15th, 2011, 10:09 pm

You are welcome Valerie.

The 60 plus blade is the one that cuts chipboard. The only difference in the two 60 degree plus blades is that one is for the regular holder and one is for the click holder (as far as I can tell!)

As for detailed cuts, I have the detailed blade holder and blades but I have yet to use it and have gotten some amazingly detailed cuts from the regular blade. I know those who use it swear by it, and I will try it one of these days, but as long as I can get intricate cuts this way, I am fine. I know others who use it a lot will chime in with their opinion.

I really want to try one of Paulo's files with the regular blade as I figure if any files need the detailed blade,it's his!

The jigsaw puzzle sounds like a great idea. My oldest son is getting married in 5 weeks so I will keep that idea in mind for the future!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Tyler » September 16th, 2011, 10:35 am

The blade plus and long blade plus have the same blade tips but the long blade is literally longer for thicker materials.

Both those blades will fit in the standard holder or the click holder. The length is the only difference! :-)
Tyler

Cutter: Silver Bullet 13"

Postby Gigi » September 16th, 2011, 11:15 am

Thanks for clarifying that Tyler. When I looked on Sherri's site, it was confusing as they appear to be for different holders. Sorry for the confusion. Glad to know they fit both holders and what the difference is.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby craftylady » September 16th, 2011, 2:05 pm

Yes thank you for that Tyler. I guess I will order the long blade for sure, as I want to cut chipboard. Is this the one I would use for the chipboard you sell Tyler - the thicker one?

Thanks, Valerie
craftylady

Postby Thyme » September 16th, 2011, 2:13 pm

Yes you want the longer one for Tylers chipboard
Thyme

Postby craftylady » September 16th, 2011, 3:52 pm

Thanks Dawn - I think I am just about ready to place my order with Sherri now. I want to ensure I remember to order everything all at once. I know for sure that I want the pen tool and also the detailed holder.

Thanks again, Valerie
craftylady

Postby Thyme » September 16th, 2011, 3:56 pm

You're welcome Valerie
Thyme

Return to General