Converting Files

Converting Files

Postby kate3 » September 10th, 2011, 12:23 pm

Not sure if this is in the right topic.

Is there a free file convertor anywhere? I have many files from past machines that I want to convert to svg. I am not clever enough to know how to do this so I am hoping there is such a thing. If not free then not too expensive. Thank you.
kate3

Re: Converting Files

Postby MeFlick » September 10th, 2011, 12:31 pm

Kate, I know what you are asking for just not sure of the answer. What machine(s) and software are you using right now? There are some different "avenues" you can take depending upon what software you are presently have. What file types are you looking to convert?
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Cutter: 18"Silver Bullet & More

Postby Gigi » September 10th, 2011, 1:29 pm

See if this helps

http://www.duckysdesigns.com and go to the conversion catalogue. It needs to be updated but there are some great aids there
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby kate3 » September 10th, 2011, 9:33 pm

MeFlick wrote:Kate, I know what you are asking for just not sure of the answer. What machine(s) and software are you using right now? There are some different "avenues" you can take depending upon what software you are presently have. What file types are you looking to convert?

I have a 13" Cougar I bought 2nd hand from my GF because she wanted bigger. She is now on her 3rd bigger, a 24" so I use svg. files. I have so many KnK files I like that need converting and many I wonder why I kept them so this is a file clean out too. I don't have a problem changing my MTC files between Inkscape and MTC to change something. I like working in Inkscape.
kate3

Postby kate3 » September 10th, 2011, 9:35 pm

CAGigi wrote:See if this helps

http://www.duckysdesigns.com and go to the conversion catalogue. It needs to be updated but there are some great aids there

Oh wow, I love Ducky and it is so long since I went to her site. Thank you Gigi, I would never had thought to look for a conversion catalogue if I had gone there.
kate3

Postby kate3 » September 10th, 2011, 9:47 pm

Gigi, I just checked it out and I don't believe how easy that is to do if I can still use my KnK studio. It has been a long time since I did and the computer it is on. The files are all on a separate hard drive. I would not have thought to turn the little owl on its head first like Ducky did. I wonder if you have to do this first or if you can flip them after as well? I am happy to do it Ducky's way. Thank you!
kate3

Postby Gigi » September 10th, 2011, 9:59 pm

Kate - feel free to PM me and I can walk you through it - I redid a lot of mine but still have a TON to do. THere is a workaround - I think I remember it. And I found that some images you need to flip and some you don't. THe last few I did ages ago were fun unflipped! LOL

Will be happy to help and maybe it will get me to convert some more of mine - I have TONS!!!

Have a funny story about Ducky aka Ellen. We found out a few years ago when we both had a different machine, that not only did we live in the same city, but literally blocks apart - not even 1/2 mile! We have become good friends - she is just the neatest and SO talented. She has missed designing files and I think is starting to do some again - will keep you posted!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby kate3 » September 10th, 2011, 10:14 pm

CAGigi wrote:Kate - feel free to PM me and I can walk you through it - I redid a lot of mine but still have a TON to do. THere is a workaround - I think I remember it. And I found that some images you need to flip and some you don't. THe last few I did ages ago were fun unflipped! LOL

Will be happy to help and maybe it will get me to convert some more of mine - I have TONS!!!

Have a funny story about Ducky aka Ellen. We found out a few years ago when we both had a different machine, that not only did we live in the same city, but literally blocks apart - not even 1/2 mile! We have become good friends - she is just the neatest and SO talented. She has missed designing files and I think is starting to do some again - will keep you posted!

Thank you and I will probably be Pm'ing I will try first and see what happens. I have way too many files to change them all and I won't use them if I do. I call them my one day might need files so they are going. If I ever do need one again I will just find it.
Aunt Ducky aka Ellen is lovely and truly a beautiful soul. I would love to live near by her and I was wondering why she hasn't been designing much. She is so good at it and her files are great. I only ever found Mickey once, she is so good at hiding him.
kate3

Postby Gigi » September 10th, 2011, 11:17 pm

LOL - yes she is very good at hiding them. I have her files all converted if you want any of them. She is awesome.

She and her husband are beginning to work on a retirement "cabin"/home out of state and that has been occupying a lot of her free time. I really miss seeing her - and I miss her files. She is amazing.

I won't be converting all of mine either, but there are some I would love to convert - and I still have a ton in GSD format from those days!!! (a lot of Diana's Designs and others.....) They are all on my external hard drive. Someday I need to go through them and at least save the ones I think I will use and convert them!! Thats on the same list as organizing my fonts! LOL

Will look for your PM if you need help!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby sherri » September 12th, 2011, 9:29 pm

Oh Gigi..that is WONDERFUL news about Ducky! I am so happy for her. I also know what you mean regarding all of the old GSD files..I have thousands upon thousands of files and will also never convert.
Sherri Jensen
That's Scrap, Inc.
sherri

Postby Gigi » September 12th, 2011, 10:32 pm

Yes she is happy but still working for now!! Hope to see her in a few days!!

I am afraid to see how many GSD files I have stashed away!! LOL Someday I should at least explore them and see if there are any worth keeping - but it might be easier to just delete them - just can't do it yet........

Gigi
Gigi

Postby kate3 » September 12th, 2011, 11:36 pm

CAGigi wrote:Yes she is happy but still working for now!! Hope to see her in a few days!!

I am afraid to see how many GSD files I have stashed away!! LOL Someday I should at least explore them and see if there are any worth keeping - but it might be easier to just delete them - just can't do it yet........

Ducky doesn't look old enough to retire? You just tell her she can't. Did you say lake cabin? I will need a map.
kate3

Postby Gigi » September 13th, 2011, 2:07 am

She's really not - but I think she is going to anyway - in a few years. They have a ways to go before the place is ready (and they better keep the home down here!!) Actually I think they are going to split their time between the two places!

Gigi
Gigi

Return to General