WHERE TO PUT PAPER ON MAT USING MTC

WHERE TO PUT PAPER ON MAT USING MTC

Postby colleen » September 6th, 2011, 6:58 pm

HI:

I am just struggling as to where to put the paper on the mat using knife point and Wysiwyg. I have watched Tyler's video but my cuts are always half off the paper or the machine is in pause. Are there any screen shots or a video as to where EXACTLY to place the paper on the mat and where it should be on the virtual MTC screen. I watched the webinar and Tyler said if using knife point to set the blade to end(right) of the paper. When I do that I lose the whole top half of the paper. I always put my paper in the bottom right corner. I would love to see specific directions that say when using mtc and knifepoint the paper should go here and the virtual image on the screen should look like this etc. The same thing for WYSIWYG. I have wasted a ton of paper trying to figure this out. Ay help to set me in the right direction would be appreciates. I need to know using both 8 1/2 by 11 and 12 x 12 paper. Thanks so much
colleen

Cutter: 13 in. Cougar MTC/SCAL

Re: WHERE TO PUT PAPER ON MAT USING MTC

Postby PennyDuncan » September 6th, 2011, 8:22 pm

Hey Colleen...if you're going to do the knife point cutting in MTC using the KNK plugin...you need to be sure to select that option in the dropdown menu in the KNK window....I'm sure you already are...but I thought I would mention that.....Then when you place your blade at the spot you want it to begin cutting and set your origin that's exactly where it will cut....does that make sense????
Have a Blessed Day...Penny Duncan
http://pennyscreativearthaven.blogspot.com
PennyDuncan

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby colleen » September 7th, 2011, 1:02 pm

I do that penny thank you. I just dont get where you position the paper on the mat and in relation to the MTC screen. I keep getting the pause or cutting where there is no paper. I wish someone would make a video using MTC and have several objects on the MTC screen and them show where the paper is placed ion the BC mat both 8 /12 and 12 inch. If I use MTC and put an item in each corner of an 81/2 by 11 paper and use WYSIWYG and choose cut it asked the length. It shows to put the paper vertical and set laser to the end of the paper and I do that. I chose 11 inch and then when it cuts it only cuts the top right item and does pause. I dont understand why it doesn't cut what is on the MTC sceen. It is so sad that this machine cost so much and comes with so little as far as direction I can see why so many cry with this machine because it gets beyond frustrating.
colleen

Postby Thyme » September 7th, 2011, 2:40 pm

Colleen, I have only used the bc plugin, but this is how I place things.
Make your mat in MTC portrait
Put the item you want to cut down in the bottom right of the virtual mat
Put your mat into the Cougar with the media on the bottom right.
Set the laser level with the bottom of the media and 2 inches in from the right hand edge of the media.
The template will now cut in that bottom right corner
Thyme

Postby Suzan » September 7th, 2011, 3:31 pm

colleen wrote:I do that penny thank you. I just dont get where you position the paper on the mat and in relation to the MTC screen. I keep getting the pause or cutting where there is no paper. I wish someone would make a video using MTC and have several objects on the MTC screen and them show where the paper is placed ion the BC mat both 8 /12 and 12 inch. If I use MTC and put an item in each corner of an 81/2 by 11 paper and use WYSIWYG and choose cut it asked the length. It shows to put the paper vertical and set laser to the end of the paper and I do that. I chose 11 inch and then when it cuts it only cuts the top right item and does pause. I dont understand why it doesn't cut what is on the MTC sceen. It is so sad that this machine cost so much and comes with so little as far as direction I can see why so many cry with this machine because it gets beyond frustrating.

Colleen let's be fair about this. First off it is the MTC directions that are lacking, and as soon as you asked it was answered. It can be frustrating in the beginning we have all been there . Also MTC is software that came after the Cougar machines. The software that Dawn offers with the machine is sign cut and you use inkscape with it. We are here to help you in anyway possible. Just ask and someone will answer as quickly as they can. And you are using the KNK plug-in which is adaptable for the cougar. That also makes a difference.

There are videos both on the MTC forum and on this forum Tyler and Christ have made some lovely videos for using the machine. Also Rob with Scrappy Dew has done one.
Suzan
Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart!

http://www.simplycustomforyou.com
Suzan

Cutter: 13" Cougar 15" Silver Bullet

Postby Thyme » September 7th, 2011, 3:41 pm

Thank you suzan!
Thyme

Postby gardencat » September 7th, 2011, 4:18 pm

I don't know how you have your machine and computer set up but if I can suggest one thing that helped me a lot at the beginning it is this; if possible, set your cougar up so it is to the left side of your computer screen and at right angles to it.If you do and then stand in front of your computer what you see on the MTC screen will cut out in the same orientation as on your mat. I'm at work and don't have the ability to scan in a sketch of the set up right nowbut I hope you can understand it just from my verbal desription.

When I'm cutting, my cougar is beside me on the left and my computer is in front of me. If I am cutting on an 8.5x11 sheet the short end of the paper will be on the mat facing towards the computer and the long(11in) length will be running down beside me. Then I set the blade so that it is at the corner of the paper that is nearest to the computer.

ETA: I hope I didn't just make things more confusing and I should add that I do just about everything in knifepoint cutting mode. I find it is so much simpler than the wysiwyg mode and with things set up as I described above everything cuts out just where I expect it to.( Well as long as I remember to push the origin button, it does LOL)
gardencat

Postby Suzan » September 7th, 2011, 4:38 pm

great info gardencat, could you possible help, colleen with that, I don't use the KNK plug in at all. I only use the BC one, and I put my stuff on the lower right corner, and set my laser 2" from the side of the paper. And it cuts perfect for me. I never understood the KNK procedure and don't really want to confuse my self even more.
Suzan

Suzan

Postby kim » September 7th, 2011, 6:00 pm

I have to say that I used the knife point once and I got so confused. I have found the method that works for me is just using the WYSIWYG for regular cutting. By setting the laser at the lower right corner of my media (paper, vinyl or metal), I get exactly what my MTC mat has. This took some practice to "get it", but once I did, I get exactly what I want and where I want it. My little brain can only handle so much and the knife point just confused me. Maybe later I will try it again, but why fix something that ain't broke.
Mommy to a Silver Bullet 24" , a Black Cat Cougar 24" AND a Foil Master!
kim

Cutter: SB 24" and BC 24"

Postby Elizabeth » September 7th, 2011, 9:23 pm

I use both WYSIWYG and knife point cutting, with MTC using the BC plug in and the KNK plug in. What I found to be helpful was to use the pen tool that comes with the machine and a piece of 12x12 ugly paper on the mat to learn exactly where the cuts would be without wasting paper.
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
http://shrinkingmimsy.blogspot.com/[/url]

Totally addicted to cutting with my new 24 inch Silver Bullet!
Elizabeth

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby Suzan » September 7th, 2011, 9:53 pm

Thyme wrote:Thank you suzan!

You are so welcome. I think many people myself included really do start getting overwhelmed just by the box size. It is packed so well it would survive a bomb I think. And they don't realize that this isn't a Cricut or a Pazzles, there is way more to it, that is has so much that it can do. I know in my three years of ownership. I am amazed at the things I keep learning every day. But once they get through the set up and make that first few cuts the majority can't believe they were nervous to begin with.

I have never ever ever regretted buying my baby. Thank you so much
Suzan

Suzan

Postby colleen » September 7th, 2011, 10:30 pm

Hi all and thank you so much for your help. I tried all the suggestions and nothing was clicking and finally Tyler came to my rescue. He was able to get me cutting using the knifepoint. Forget the WYSIWG I haven't mastered that and I will be like Kim and do it the old way with the BC plug in since that works for me too. I think you would all be rolling with laughter if you were looking in my window today . I have piles of torn paper a mile high. The place looks like a disaster and I am a neat freak.(lol) You would have seen a crazy person taking some suggestions and moving my Cougar and computer all over the place. I failed to cook dinner for the family or even eat since I was so determined to "get this." My family just knew to stay away from me if they didn't want to be chewed apart. Even the dog left me alone(lol) I am sorry if I sounded harsh in my original post its just that some times it just gets so overwhelming for me because I use to be so techy but then I got the brain tumor and I am like a different person now. I have trouble processing so I have to see pictures and videos a million times until it clicks. I am just slower then I was before but overall doing amazing well to have even survived and be able to craft again. I do appreciate all of your help.
TYLER: You are awesome and thanks for taking the time out of your busy schedule to help me.
colleen

Postby Phyllis » September 7th, 2011, 10:42 pm

Aww Colleen, I'm so glad Tyler was able to help. He is amazing, isn't he? We all love him to pieces. I am sorry you had a brain tumor but so glad you're doing well. I get frustrated when things don't work for me too. I use SCAL and hardly ever touch MTC anymore because I'm a Mac user and prefer the Mac versions. I love my Cougar and I'm sure you will start loving yours too, it's an awesome machine.
Phyllis

Postby Gigi » September 7th, 2011, 10:55 pm

So glad Tyler was able to help - he is the BEST!!!

Sometimes it just takes the "right person" to say it in a way that clicks and then it all makes sense. I am so glad he got you over this hurdle.

Your poor family!! Hope you finally got something to eat too so you have the strength you need to play tomorrow and put all that you learned to good use! Congratulations!
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby Suzan » September 7th, 2011, 11:09 pm

Colleen, I swear, we have all been that way. It never fails, I get an order to cut 300 snowflakes, and lo and behold it would cut then just stop. I would re-load, change blades plug unplug, you name it. Then in tears I emailed Dawn, and I had put it all past my cutting width. You will find lots of crazy women stories here. And Tyler is great he really knows his stuff.
Suzan

Suzan

Postby PennyDuncan » September 8th, 2011, 6:59 am

colleen wrote:Hi all and thank you so much for your help. I tried all the suggestions and nothing was clicking and finally Tyler came to my rescue. He was able to get me cutting using the knifepoint. Forget the WYSIWG I haven't mastered that and I will be like Kim and do it the old way with the BC plug in since that works for me too. I think you would all be rolling with laughter if you were looking in my window today . I have piles of torn paper a mile high. The place looks like a disaster and I am a neat freak.(lol) You would have seen a crazy person taking some suggestions and moving my Cougar and computer all over the place. I failed to cook dinner for the family or even eat since I was so determined to "get this." My family just knew to stay away from me if they didn't want to be chewed apart. Even the dog left me alone(lol) I am sorry if I sounded harsh in my original post its just that some times it just gets so overwhelming for me because I use to be so techy but then I got the brain tumor and I am like a different person now. I have trouble processing so I have to see pictures and videos a million times until it clicks. I am just slower then I was before but overall doing amazing well to have even survived and be able to craft again. I do appreciate all of your help.
TYLER: You are awesome and thanks for taking the time out of your busy schedule to help me.

Oh Colleen...I rolled over the visual with you and your kitty!!!! I'm SO glad you got it and you're so right...Tyler is AWESOME!!!!!
Have a Blessed Day...Penny Duncan
http://pennyscreativearthaven.blogspot.com
PennyDuncan

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby Elizabeth » September 8th, 2011, 9:40 am

Glad you got it figured out, Colleen. Now you can have some fun! Yup, Tyler is a gem. I'm pretty sure I would still be trying to figure things out without his videos, and I got my machine in May!
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
http://shrinkingmimsy.blogspot.com/[/url]

Totally addicted to cutting with my new 24 inch Silver Bullet!
Elizabeth

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby gardencat » September 8th, 2011, 9:52 am

I'm glad Tyler helped you get it figured out. I drew some pictures this AM that I planned to scan in, to try to help, but I didn't have a lot of confidence that I'd be able to explain it well and now I don't have to.

Have fun now that you are on your way.
gardencat

Postby MeFlick » September 8th, 2011, 3:58 pm

Glad you got it sorted Collen and Kudos for Tyler for stepping in and helping you out. He is an awesome fella! Especially for putting up with all these women all the time! :ROFLMBO: So Glad to have him with us! Glad you are finding your way with your machine and getting past the issues caused by your brain tumor. I didn't have that issue but still found a bit of a learning curve that frustrated me when I first got my Cougar and tried to load the mat and get it to actually cut! I remember emailing with Dawn and telling her I used to think I was somewhat tech savy until I got the Cougar! I think it was because I was still thinking with my "cricut mind" at the time more than anything else! :hide:

I look forward to seeing some of your projects Collen and I need to get back to doing and sharing some of my own! I have been doing vinyl heat press stuff of late when I have had some free time (got a new heat press for my anniversary gift from DH - much prefer "crafty tools" over "jewels"! :ROFLMBO: )
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Cutter: 18"Silver Bullet & More

Postby Suzan » September 8th, 2011, 4:09 pm

Me too or power tools when I did wood. LOL
Suzan

Suzan

Next

Return to General