SCAL, MTC or Signcut?

SCAL, MTC or Signcut?

Postby whizzy » September 2nd, 2011, 8:19 pm

I don't really know anything about MTC & know nothing about SCAL files but interested to know if they can be opened in Inkscape & cut in Signcut?
www.scrapsofstuff.com
Mac OS X 10.9, Windows 7
Inkscape, Signcut Pro (with dongle) & Scal3  tiny bites! )
whizzy

Cutter: 18" Cougar

Re: SCAL, MTC or Signcut?

Postby Suzan » September 2nd, 2011, 8:26 pm

No they can't but you can export from MTC and SCAL as an svg and they open in inkscape for signcut. If you are using inkscape and signcut, personally I think you have the better programs. MTC and SCAL have some cool features like conical warp for making vinyl on tumblers and stuff, and a great tiling feature, but I think you can do that in signcut also. They both have demo versions if you want to check them out.
Suzan
Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart!

http://www.simplycustomforyou.com
Suzan

Cutter: 13" Cougar 15" Silver Bullet

Postby whizzy » September 2nd, 2011, 8:32 pm

Thanks for that Susan, there's a 3D file (for an alphabet) that I was considering buying but the requirement was for MTC/SCAL so thought I'd check first.
www.scrapsofstuff.com
Mac OS X 10.9, Windows 7
whizzy

Postby Suzan » September 2nd, 2011, 8:40 pm

I know SVG cuts had some 3d alpha files, it should be in svg format.
Suzan
Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart!

http://www.simplycustomforyou.com
Suzan

Cutter: 13" Cougar 15" Silver Bullet

Postby whizzy » September 2nd, 2011, 8:54 pm

That's the one I was considering — love to do some Chrissie stuff with it :)
So, if I get it I shouldn't have any problems with the file?
www.scrapsofstuff.com
Mac OS X 10.9, Windows 7
whizzy

Postby kathybessey » September 2nd, 2011, 9:32 pm

Yeah Whizzy all SVGCuts.com files are in svg format so you should be fine. I don't recall the program Mary uses to create her files I just know when I am bringing in their files into MTC I have to set my dpi at 72 instead of 90. I don't know if that makes any difference in Inkscape/Signcut as I have not used those programs (umm yet LOL)
kathybessey

Postby Gigi » September 2nd, 2011, 11:01 pm

whizzy wrote:That's the one I was considering — love to do some Chrissie stuff with it :)

I have that file Whizzy and it comes in svg - you won't have a problem with it at all!

And I agree with Suzan - love inkscape (can't believe I am saying that!) and I am guessing we will be better positioned for Dawn's software with an inkscape background since so many of her customers are familiar with it and swear by it.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby whizzy » September 2nd, 2011, 11:22 pm

Thankyou ladies, I'm off to shop . . . & yes, inkscape is great & cheaper than illustrator - LOL
www.scrapsofstuff.com
Mac OS X 10.9, Windows 7
whizzy

Postby kathybessey » September 3rd, 2011, 3:18 pm

CAGigi wrote:
whizzy wrote:That's the one I was considering — love to do some Chrissie stuff with it :)

I have that file Whizzy and it comes in svg - you won't have a problem with it at all!

And I agree with Suzan - love inkscape (can't believe I am saying that!) and I am guessing we will be better positioned for Dawn's software with an inkscape background since so many of her customers are familiar with it and swear by it.

Sounds like I need to start learning Inkscape then - I don't know why I get so intimidated by this software. I help develop software, test software, provide training on lots of different software and am the subject matter expert on several software systems in my field of work yet Inkscape scares the crap out of me! :hide: :hide: :hide:
kathybessey

Postby Thyme » September 3rd, 2011, 4:14 pm

Well you should be able to learn it easy then!
Best thing to do is to set yourself one task to do in Inkscape, don't even look at all the other stuff.
One thing at a time.
Thyme

Postby Gigi » September 3rd, 2011, 8:38 pm

Kathy - it will be a piece of cake for you.

I too was intimidated by it until I did exactly what Dawn said - one thing at a time..... and that really helped!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Angel135612 » September 4th, 2011, 7:50 am

Yep, I agree, the best way to learn Inkscape is to just try to learn how to do ONE thing. Then build on that. Get one of the tutorials from the BCUK forum, and read it for the basics. Then pick one thing you want to learn how to do, and figure out how. Either ask questions, find a tut or play around in the software to figure it out. Which ever way works for you. Then, learn something else.. and just keep building. That is what I did. I would try to do something, and could never get it to work, but just kept picking up bits and pieces of how to do things in the program when I had time. Then all of a sudden, a light bulb went off, and I figured out how to do traces that actually worked well. LOL

I know I got info from Penny, Gigi, and others, just in general conversations talking about it, that I didn't know how to do before. I was trying to do a trace, and I could never get mine to trace as well as Penny did in her tut. Then one day I was chatting with Gigi, and she mentioned something about viewing in outline mode, that I think Dawn told her about, and now that I learned how to do that, it makes things so much easier. Some times, I'm learning things about the program when I'm not even trying to.. just by reading questions that others have.

I'm sure you can learn the program Kathy, just don't try to learn it all at once... and you will be fine.. and soon you will wonder what took you so long to try it.
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby Gigi » September 4th, 2011, 10:15 am

Yep - that "viewing in outline mode" (that DID come from Dawn) is a lifesaver!! Good for you,Diane!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby kathybessey » September 4th, 2011, 11:55 am

Aww thanks ladies. I will still have to cut with MTC as I don't have Signcut but that's OK soon we will have the new software!

Once this castle project is complete I can start doing just what you all said. I don't know why I let this thing intimidate me LOL
kathybessey

Postby Gigi » September 4th, 2011, 12:25 pm

And we will be here to help you!! I understand as I let it intimidate me for ages and although I dont work with software professionally, I love learning new software. But there was so much to this that I kept looking at ALL of it instead of breaking it down. I know better!! :ROFLMBO: :ROFLMBO: And I know I have only scratched the surface. I still go to Corel Draw to do some things that seem easier(for whatever reason) but am using Inkscape more and more........and loving it! :shock:

Gigi
Gigi

Postby kathybessey » September 5th, 2011, 8:34 am

Maybe that is part of my problem of being intimidated - I have never used anything like Corel Draw or all those other programs that folks use for designing/editing/etc. Well the castle project is completed so next weekend will be the time to start learning Inkscape LOL I can't keep putting it off. Thanks for the support
kathybessey

Return to General