Unbelievable image transfer process.......

Unbelievable image transfer process.......

Postby pigtailpat » September 2nd, 2011, 11:54 am

In always looking around at how I can use my wonderful 2-ply matboard (and boy I love this stuff)..I was investigating image transfers. You see, the 2 ply board is of course, way too thick to put through a printer. And of course the matboard can be cut to frame out a photo. But to push the envelope...you can transfer a photo onto another surface to make it seamless transition. This can be used for alot of stuff in our cards and projects - - and - - quilts (it works for fabric!!).

You print a photo mirrored. This works only with laser printers or photocopy of a image printed by an inkjet. This method WILL NOT work on direct inkjet printed images.

You put the paper down on the surface that is to receive the transfer - so that the direct ink that has been printed is on the surface to receive the transfer, and the back of the print is up facing the air and you. You apply a chart pak blender pen (which is the last pen on the market still containing xylene - it does have a slight odor - if this bothers you work outside) and saturate the area printed. Then burnish using a bone folder or a metal spoon. And voila - your image is transferred.

In addition to the chart pak pens, you can buy xylene (the straight chemical) from home depot/lowes. Nail polish remover containing acetone is also supposed to work. Some people also suggest that the straight acetone (also can be purchased from home depot/lowes and is alittle less expensive than the straight xylene) works better than nail polish remover containing acetone, because it evaporates quicker. The chart pak pens are not refillable, but was the cheapest thing for me, as they cost only $2.15 at the store where I found the canson paper (I went back today to get more of that super deal at .79 for a 19 x 25" sheet - I mean that is incredible). I tried it and it does in fact work! Opens up alot more possibilities for cheap!

You can read more about it at: http://netnet.net/~cloud9/tips/tips_cha ... _pens.html

Hope this helps someone.

Pat
New owner of an 18" cougar and the gazelle...still a newbie at the cougar and will soon explore it............
pigtailpat

Re: Unbelievable image transfer process.......

Postby Gigi » September 2nd, 2011, 12:32 pm

Another great idea, Pat. I love that you push the envelope on all things and help get us all out of our comfort zone.

I remember hearing about image transfers years ago, but I didn't pay a lot of attention because I didn't have a laser printer and knew I would not be running to a store to photocopy things! But now that I have a laser printer, it opens up a whole world of possibilities!

Thank you!
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby PennyDuncan » September 2nd, 2011, 12:36 pm

That is a great suggestion......I have some of Tyler's Rubon papers that I'm wanting to play with....MAYBE this weekend!!! I can hope anyway!!! ;)
Have a Blessed Day...Penny Duncan
http://pennyscreativearthaven.blogspot.com
PennyDuncan

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby Gigi » September 2nd, 2011, 12:39 pm

Thanks for reminding me that I have those too and have been wanting to play with them..... think my crafting list for the weekend is growing!
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby Elizabeth » September 2nd, 2011, 2:15 pm

Thanks, Pat. This looks like another fun idea.
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
http://shrinkingmimsy.blogspot.com/[/url]

Totally addicted to cutting with my new 24 inch Silver Bullet!
Elizabeth

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby LisaH » September 2nd, 2011, 3:21 pm

Cool Pat!
LisaH

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby Phyllis » September 2nd, 2011, 4:21 pm

Pat, what a cool thing. I am constantly amazed at what you all do on this board.
Phyllis

Postby kim » September 4th, 2011, 8:42 am

TFS that info Pat!! I am going to have to try that.

I picked up another laser printer yesterday at Office Depot. It's not a color one, but just a black printer. I have a color one in my home office, but everytime I wanted to print on it, I had to run to my office to pick up the printed paper. I wanted a laser for my craft room, but couldn't justify really getting one. But yesterday I had to get a USB hub and Office Depot had a laser printer for half off, just $60. So now when I do the printing for my Foil Master, I won't have to run back and forth all over the house.
Mommy to a Silver Bullet 24" , a Black Cat Cougar 24" AND a Foil Master!
kim

Cutter: SB 24" and BC 24"

Postby Angel135612 » September 4th, 2011, 9:06 am

Kim, that is a really great deal on that printer. Can't wait to see what you create.

Have you moved yet? Or are you still packing and not having a lot of time to craft?
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Return to General