USB port question

USB port question

Postby minorcustomcrafts » August 30th, 2011, 7:51 pm

So I have been reading about the USB port thing and unplugging your cougar. I do have Windows 7, I am also having problems when I re-plug in my cougar. I know I am going to order that serial to USB thing from Amazon. I will still have to continue unplugging my cougar when not in use. It is in a different area of the house then the laptop. I know people have talked about using a hub to plug in their cougar. What kind of hub is this? Can I still unplug it from my computer when not in use, or will I still have that USB port renumbering issue? Can I plug the cougar into an iConnect? I have one of these for my Epson 1400 and all of my external harddrives. It is like a wireless Pogo Plug, but it is made by iOmega. I love this thing for my printer. I know I had to resetup my printer to find it wirelessly. I just am not sure if it would work with the cougar. If it would this would help my having issues with my laptop finding the cougar and cutting.
minorcustomcrafts

Re: USB port question

Postby Tyler » August 30th, 2011, 8:54 pm

Hi minorcustomcrafts!

Usually any USB hub will work, but it is highly recommended that the USB hub has a power source, and yes you should be able to unplug it when not in use. I am not aware of any renumbering issue - I am running windows 7 with the cougar attached through a USB hub and the only time it should change the comm port is when the driver is reinstalled. I unplug my computer from the cutter daily. That is my experience with it, though I am sure others vary.

Regarding the iConnect, I am pretty sure it will not work. It has media and print servers that allow it to work well with USB drives and printers, but the cougar does not work via a print server. If you try it and it works, let me know! I am anxious for a wireless solution as well! :-)
Tyler

Cutter: Silver Bullet 13"

Postby Gigi » August 30th, 2011, 9:04 pm

I too use a powered hub. I have no issues with it, and also use the keyspan. I too use Windows 7 but do not disconnect my cutter very often and if I do it's the hub from the computer - not the cutter cable.

Wow - a wireless connection would be great - I so agree Tyler!
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby minorcustomcrafts » August 30th, 2011, 9:14 pm

I may give it a shot. It is not actually a print server, from what I read it was not suppose to work with the Epson 1400 :) If it works I will have to buy a second one if it works though, it has 4 USB ports and I have the printer in 1 and 3 external drives in the others :) I wonder if I had 2 if it would have problems though figuring out which one I was connecting to? Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, I will have to play.

I have had to reload the drivers, it always seems to disappear?
minorcustomcrafts

Postby Tyler » August 30th, 2011, 9:57 pm

That is weird if your drivers are disappear. That sounds like something else is going on, and re-installing every time is what is changing your comm ports. I am not sure though what it would be.

What program are you using to cut from?
Tyler

Cutter: Silver Bullet 13"

Postby Thyme » August 31st, 2011, 3:22 am

Some computers will add a new usb port each time you plug an item back in, I have seen usb ports numbered into the 100's - and that does affect the communication. Also drivers disappearing is another sign of bad communication. I would definitely suggest trying the keyspan
Thyme

Return to General