Question about mixing pearl ex & luminere...

Question about mixing pearl ex & luminere...

Postby pigtailpat » August 26th, 2011, 9:18 am

Ok well tonight will be box painting night. I will be painting with a mix of a particular pearl ex powder and luminere. It would have been alot easier to spray paint, but I wanted a little sheen/shine/metallic kind of look, and unfortunately aside from gold/silver, the spray paints just do not have the color I wanted. So, after some experimentation, I settled on the pearl ex/luminiere combination - as although not exactly metallic - it gives a sheen from the pearlescent nature of the luminiere that is close to the look I wanted. It's definitely a compromise, but that's life right?

I have to paint two sides of pretty big box pieces. Obviously, with mixing this stuff, it is hard to exactly duplicate again. You see I have to paint one side, let it dry for a couple of hours at least, then flip over to do the other side. So, I have to make ALOT in one mix to ensure I have enough for both sides - to keep the pieces looking uniform. In addition, when I was experimenting, I might have to do 2 coats of the stuff to make sure I get good coverage. Although most of the pieces will be covered with paper, there are still pretty big areas not covered (due to the size of the box and pieces I am working with), along with fold areas, so I am going to paint all areas just to be safe.

My question has to do with how can I preserve the remainder mix so it does not dry out, to use on the other side of the pieces when ready? What's the best way? I have not used pearl ex and luminiere on such a large scale before, so I am sort of a little in the dark about what to do. Is there anything sold at the hardware stores (like lowe's) that can help keep the paint fresh? Anything home that can be used?

Last - I will assume I should score all the pieces before painting. The scoring will be done by hand with a stylus and an aluminum ruler on a self-healing mat I have for quilting (the pieces are too large for the scor board). It is just amazing how my tools can be crossed-used for different purposes. I love that I can extract the max. use of them!

Thanks in advance everyone!

Pat
New owner of an 18" cougar and the gazelle...still a newbie at the cougar and will soon explore it............
pigtailpat

Re: Question about mixing pearl ex & luminere...

Postby Thyme » August 26th, 2011, 10:54 am

Why not just use one of the metallic Lumiere paints?
Thyme

Postby pigtailpat » August 26th, 2011, 10:56 am

cuz the one color I wanted was out, so I am left to mix it..this stuff is hard to get on a time deadline..
New owner of an 18" cougar and the gazelle...still a newbie at the cougar and will soon explore it............
pigtailpat

Postby Thyme » August 26th, 2011, 1:38 pm

Ah, that makes sense
Thyme

Return to General