Wow - Cougar cuts bristol board!

Wow - Cougar cuts bristol board!

Postby pigtailpat » August 21st, 2011, 6:16 pm

Today I was working on Connie's explosion box. I really want the dimensions of the explosion box bigger, because I have alot of text in this particular design. I was going to purchase more chipboard (oversized), as my last project wiped me out of my supply. But then, a light bulb went off in my fuzzy brain. Last summer I purchased conservation grade bristol board, 20 point, from a local place (not far from me) called Talas (they are conservation, preservation experts), size is 20 x 30. Bristol board is something different than bristol paper - like the artists use. This is not bristol paper, it is stiffer than bristol paper, but, it has a smooth surface and the color isn't too bad either (almost like a brownish kind of cream). I got it last summer hoping the gazzy would cut it, I could not cut it with the gazzy, and it was confirmed through gazzy support that it could not be cut with that machine. Bristol board is used for conservationists actually to line drawers with, that the special conservation boxes are kept in. It is a neat type of media, and safe for photos - which is why I originally bought it - because I knew the gazzy could not handle matboard. I was then hoping for a mat board type of replacement - and hence the bristol board.

I totally forgot I had this media, and I believe I had sent some to Dawn last summer to cut when I first started exploring the cougar. So, I did some test cutting on some extra scraps of the bristol board I had from my aborted cuts last summer (yeah I save everything), and lo and behold, no problem with the cougar!!! So now I can make connie's box somewhat bigger (unfortunately I cannot do double the size - I would need a 24 for that due to the aspect ratio - yikes - already dreaming about a 24" but just realistically do not have the space), and, hopefully, manage to squeeze my text in on the tabs on the inside of the box. Having the new larger mat definitely will be coming in handy!

So if you have something lying around like this, you never know what can be done unless you try. Of course you have to be sane and safe and use materials under the 1.5 mm thickness limit of the cougar (and whatever it is on the lynx), otherwise you might harm the machine. As an aside, I am not sure if the bristol board is a good media for the lynx - I do not think it is safe for the lynx.

I will post my box as soon as I finish, probably not for a couple of days at least. I am still doing alot of test cutting to make sure I understand the mechanics of box construction first. Then figure out the mechanics of doing the inside decorations. This project will definitely be taking up most of my free time this week coming up.

Pat
New owner of an 18" cougar and the gazelle...still a newbie at the cougar and will soon explore it............
pigtailpat

Re: Wow - Cougar cuts bristol board!

Postby sherri » August 21st, 2011, 8:39 pm

Pat...i am happy you continue to explore other materials to cut! Keep us posted!
Sherri Jensen
That's Scrap, Inc.
sherri

Postby Retta » August 21st, 2011, 8:50 pm

Sounds like another option!!! Yea!
Retta

Cutter: 13" Cat CS4/Inkscape signcut

Postby Gigi » August 21st, 2011, 9:51 pm

Fabulous Pat - thrilled for you - can feel your excitement!
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Return to General