My new Cougar is pretty....

My new Cougar is pretty....

Postby cobia » August 21st, 2011, 5:47 pm

I got her about 2 weeks ago and she has been in her box. Today i opened the box and looked at her, but closed her back up. LOL...
I feel like i have gotten in over my head with my new 24 inch cutter. I have InkScape and SignCut but have to learn to use them. I have SCAL2, but to use that with my new cutter, i have to upgrade to SCAL3 and then i don't think it will work with my Cricut any longer if i upgrade, (and i need my Cricut still, until i learn to use my Cougar, so i purchased MTC, for what reason i'm not sure...LOL...

i just feel so overwhelmed right now with the thought of using the new cutter, and finding a place in the store to put her so that i will have access to letting vinyl just run out the back or using with a mat (i make a lot of small things like single letter initials or things on less than 8 inches of vinyl so i know i will still be using a mat most of the time) and i am used to grabbing my Cricut and just turning it slightly sideways for the mat to run out the back and there is no "just grabbing" and turning to this new big girl who will take up my entire counter space! lol...

So, i'm going over videos, tutorials, installing InkScape and SignCut and NOT understanding the software at all right now, and i think i'm ready to just scream and start over another day!

After all, in the words of Scarlet O'Hara..."tomorrow is another day"...:)
cobia

Re: My new Cougar is pretty....

Postby Mary Kobe » August 21st, 2011, 5:51 pm

Oh, don't be afraid of the Cougar! It is absolutely FANTASTIC! Once you uses it, you will never want to use the other machine!

We are all here for you if you need help! I am not a pro, but I can answer some questions.
Mary Kobe

Postby Barbara » August 21st, 2011, 6:23 pm

Once you take the plunge you won't look back. Plenty of help here and on the UK Forum. Just ask.
Barbara
Barbara

Postby pigtailpat » August 21st, 2011, 6:28 pm

Break down your tasks one by one, to make it easier on yourself. Tomorrow, you will wake up and say - OK - all I have to do is take her out of the box. And do it! Then the next day, OK - all I have to do is to find a space for her to work with it. Then do it! Then the next day, say, OK, now I will download the drivers and hook her up - and - do it!

It won't seem so overwhelming to you if you break it down like this, and take it really slow one day at a time. I remember when I first started with digital cutting (my first machine was a cricut expression), it sat in a box for a month after delivery as I did not have time and I was a little intimidated with it. The next machine, the gazelle, I was a little faster with getting it out of the box, but it took me almost a year to really master it. On the cougar, I took it out and was cutting within hours of delivery and met my goals (which was to cut matboard), within 2 weeks of delivery. I admit, I am about to do this week, do my first oversized project on the larger mat, and I am a little scared of it, but I must and I will! All the "firsts" are a little scary, but as you get acclimated, you will be having such fun, and everyone here will help to the best they can.

Pat
New owner of an 18" cougar and the gazelle...still a newbie at the cougar and will soon explore it............
pigtailpat

Postby kim » August 21st, 2011, 6:50 pm

Don't be afraid of your new baby....just take little steps and you will be up and running in no time. The hardest part for me was to remember doing the online/offline button and setting the laser. Also, test cuts are really a must. Keep a blank cd handy for setting your blade.

As for vinyl, I run mine from the back. I just put the roll back there and then set my front right corner with the laser, and I am up and running. I just did a design that was using the whole 24" wide and was about 60" long. Of course, this was with out a mat and my baby did such a wonderful job.
Mommy to a Silver Bullet 24" , a Black Cat Cougar 24" AND a Foil Master!
kim

Cutter: SB 24" and BC 24"

Postby Sassycutter » August 21st, 2011, 7:58 pm

cobia,

I completely understand!!!! I have had my Cougar for three weeks now and I have only used the pen to draw the test rectangle. I still haven't worked up the courage to put a blade in the holder :ROFLMBO: If you promise to take some baby steps this week, I promise to put a blade in and do a test cut. Deal??? :D :D :D
So much paper, so little time....
Sassycutter

Cutter: 13" Black Cat and Foilmaster

Postby cobia » August 21st, 2011, 8:03 pm

ok kim you lost me on the CD comment....how is a blank CD handy for setting the blade?
and for your vinyl, do you use the full roll even for doing small jobs or do you use a mat? Some of my jobs require 2 or 3 colors of vinyl and i usually set them on the mat (i have a cricut expressions i'm using now) and that is the main thing i'm concerned about being able to do as quickly as i do now on the cricut...

thanks everyone for your tips and ideas!!!

Cobia

kim wrote:Don't be afraid of your new baby....just take little steps and you will be up and running in no time. The hardest part for me was to remember doing the online/offline button and setting the laser. Also, test cuts are really a must. Keep a blank cd handy for setting your blade.

As for vinyl, I run mine from the back. I just put the roll back there and then set my front right corner with the laser, and I am up and running. I just did a design that was using the whole 24" wide and was about 60" long. Of course, this was with out a mat and my baby did such a wonderful job.
cobia

Postby Gigi » August 21st, 2011, 9:44 pm

Cobia -

So many great tips have already been shared with you. You will find over time that you will do things so much faster on the cougar - really. You are familiar with the machine you have now so of course it's easier and faster. In time, you will find your new machine just as easy and just as fast - if not more so.

We have all been where you are. It took me forever to cut with my machine - now I love it and most things are just so simple. There are a lot of new things to learn,but you don't have to learn them all at once. I love the idea of setting little goals. Or , since you want to cut vinyl - make that your goal - get a comfort level with the vinyl and you will feel so wonderful.

And you can cut it on your mat or without a mat - whatever makes you feel the most comfortable. There are a lot of ways to reach the same result - you will find your way very soon.

Good luck and keep asking questions!
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby Phyllis » August 21st, 2011, 11:11 pm

Cobia, just watch Christy's and Tyler's videos, they helped me greatly. Before long, it will become second nature to you. It's not as intimidating as it seems. I am still asking questions from time to time also but I may be able to answer some easy questions. LOL.
Phyllis

Postby otrbanks » August 22nd, 2011, 2:24 pm

As far as SCAL is concerned, don't be (concerned, that is). SCAL3 installs as if it were a completely new program and does not interfere with SCAL2. I have both versions on my desktop and laptop and both still work beautifully (I also have Signcut and MTC) MTC also still works with my Cricut as well as my Cougar (and I am running the newest version). Don't be afraid, It only took me a day or so and I am as fast on the Cougar as the Cricut!
Tammy Jennings
http://tammyjennings.blogspot.com
18" Cougar "Kitty" is here!!!
otrbanks

Cutter: 24" SB & 18" BC

Postby rachellann » August 22nd, 2011, 5:35 pm

cobia wrote:I got her about 2 weeks ago and she has been in her box. Today i opened the box and looked at her, but closed her back up. LOL...
I feel like i have gotten in over my head with my new 24 inch cutter. I have InkScape and SignCut but have to learn to use them. I have SCAL2, but to use that with my new cutter, i have to upgrade to SCAL3 and then i don't think it will work with my Cricut any longer if i upgrade, (and i need my Cricut still, until i learn to use my Cougar, so i purchased MTC, for what reason i'm not sure...LOL...

i just feel so overwhelmed right now with the thought of using the new cutter, and finding a place in the store to put her so that i will have access to letting vinyl just run out the back or using with a mat (i make a lot of small things like single letter initials or things on less than 8 inches of vinyl so i know i will still be using a mat most of the time) and i am used to grabbing my Cricut and just turning it slightly sideways for the mat to run out the back and there is no "just grabbing" and turning to this new big girl who will take up my entire counter space! lol...

So, i'm going over videos, tutorials, installing InkScape and SignCut and NOT understanding the software at all right now, and i think i'm ready to just scream and start over another day!

After all, in the words of Scarlet O'Hara..."tomorrow is another day"...:)

Dont be afraid they are real easy to tame and they don't bite much except maybe tyler and Dana and a couple others. LOL
If you have any questions please ask here or you can contact me also or any other member here and we would all be happy to help.
Helping where I can when I can.
Using a 24" Silver Bullet Pro and also have a 18" Cougar
rachellann

Cutter: 18 Cougar, 24"Silver Bullet

Return to General