metals

metals

Postby dgue » August 11th, 2011, 11:11 am

I am new to all this and live in a small town just got my macnine 18" cougar ( loving it already)and really want to try to do some 3D flowers in metal but can not find and metal around here. does anybody have any ideas where to get some on the internet and what to use to bond the pieces together my husband wonderful man that he is said to use metal epoxy that way it will not change the metal color like heat would.
dgue

Re: metals

Postby Phyllis » August 11th, 2011, 11:16 am

I have not actually cut metal on my Cougar yet but I do have some that I found at Michaels, it's thin copper and it's on a roll, I believe it was in the art department. They probably do have other colors, etc. don't remember, it's been a while. Not sure on what glue to use either. Guess I'm not much help. LOL. Hope someone comes on here and gives us some more info on this.
Phyllis

Postby Retta » August 11th, 2011, 11:17 am

http://www.allthatjazzsupplies.com/

Tyler and Nikki - on this forum, have a great selection of metals. Please check them out!
Retta

Cutter: 13" Cat CS4/Inkscape signcut

Postby Thyme » August 11th, 2011, 12:17 pm

I second Retta, check out Tylers store, all his stuff has been tested on the Cats
Thyme

Postby Gigi » August 11th, 2011, 12:32 pm

Have to third that - the metals that Tyler carries are awesome.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby dgue » August 11th, 2011, 1:05 pm

I just ordered a bundle pacakge to try I liked the fuzzy paper and wil also try some vinyl have no used that before either wow I am excited I do mostly projects I have arthritis and just like to keep my hands moving.thanks was a great site.
dgue

Postby CaseysAngel » August 11th, 2011, 1:09 pm

yep Tyler sells it and would be the only place I'd suggest online as it's been tested and proved to work.

I haven't tried ti personally but I have no doubt it isn't great. I usually get mine at Home depot or lowe's (if I am just embossing or engraving) or HL and Mike's if I'm cutting. There is a video on my blog I believe comparing the different types I've tried. Tyler's isn't there only because I didn't have it to include.
CaseysAngel

Postby Gigi » August 11th, 2011, 1:24 pm

dgue wrote:I just ordered a bundle pacakge to try I liked the fuzzy paper and wil also try some vinyl have no used that before either wow I am excited I do mostly projects I have arthritis and just like to keep my hands moving.thanks was a great site.

The bundle package is a great way to go and try the different products. Watch out - there should be a warning label on it that you are likely to become addicted to the products contained within!!

I LOVE the fuzzy paper - it cuts beautifully and adds fun texture to any product. I had not cut vinyl before either and it is amazingly easy to do.

Eager to see what you do - it will be fun!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Phyllis » August 11th, 2011, 1:40 pm

Christy, I just watched your metal cutting video. Didn't know that the engraving tool itself would cut. Now I'm totally convinced that I need this tool. Your video is great, well I've seen most of your videos but guess I missed this one. Thanks for all your great videos.
Phyllis

Postby Tyler » August 11th, 2011, 1:43 pm

Welcome Welcome! I think you will really like this stuff! It takes me a while to put together the bundle package, so you should have your tracking number by the end of the night.

There are three main metals, each serving their own purpose. You really can't go wrong with any of them!

Aluminum plated metal, which is great for etching!!! It isn't moldable, but it sure looks good when it is done.

Pliable copper metal, which can be both etched or embossed. If you use the etching tool on the embossing mat and several passes, you can actually cut this one as well. This metal is a bit more pliable/moldable and a lot of fun to play with!

IMG_0032 (Small).JPG

Last, but not least, are the foils. There are 15 different colors available, that are really quite cool! This foil cuts very easily and embosses beautifully as well, though you must make sure it is adhered to the mat well! Also, its adhesive backing works great for adhering it to just about anything. The colors do not change with heat. (The foil on this picture is adhered to the glass and the stars were cut out of the copper. There are more pictures of embossing and stuff on the store site)

Each of the metals has their own firmness and properties. If you like the firmness of one metal but wish it were a different color, I have seen two things that work very well. The first is use one medium for the shape and iron on some colored foil. The second involves coloring the metal with alcohol inks. Both have their advantages! One thing that is nice is you don't have to have 15 different colors of the aluminum and the copper sheets, since that can be expensive.

Regarding adhesives for the copper and aluminum sheets, there is double sided adhesive paper, which works great for this, as well as many other applications. It is permanent, so once it is stuck, it is stuck!

Anyways, I hope that helps a bit! Feel free to let me know if you have any questions! Again, glad you're here!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tyler

Cutter: Silver Bullet 13"

Postby Gigi » August 11th, 2011, 1:57 pm

GREAT examples, Tyler. I don't remember seeing the cowboy boot before - that is just too cute!!

Thanks for sharing the info again - (and reminding me the treasure trove I have sitting in my craft room, thanks to you!!)

Gigi
Gigi

Postby CaseysAngel » August 11th, 2011, 8:10 pm

Phyllis wrote:Christy, I just watched your metal cutting video. Didn't know that the engraving tool itself would cut. Now I'm totally convinced that I need this tool. Your video is great, well I've seen most of your videos but guess I missed this one. Thanks for all your great videos.

it will if the metal or copper is thin enough. It will cut pretty much all off my metal except the flashing i get at Home depot and lowe's. And thank you for the compliment.
CaseysAngel

Postby beanie21787 » August 11th, 2011, 9:43 pm

I have been using the metal flashing from the hardware store for years even back when I had a sizzix..... And it is sooooooo cheap there. Another thing you can use is a soda can with the top and bottom cut off and it is FREE!
beanie21787

Cutter: lynx 12

Postby rachellann » August 11th, 2011, 9:48 pm

beanie21787 wrote:I have been using the metal flashing from the hardware store for years even back when I had a sizzix..... And it is sooooooo cheap there. Another thing you can use is a soda can with the top and bottom cut off and it is FREE!

CaseysAngel wrote:
Phyllis wrote:Christy, I just watched your metal cutting video. Didn't know that the engraving tool itself would cut. Now I'm totally convinced that I need this tool. Your video is great, well I've seen most of your videos but guess I missed this one. Thanks for all your great videos.

it will if the metal or copper is thin enough. It will cut pretty much all off my metal except the flashing i get at Home depot and lowe's. And thank you for the compliment.

Love the metals used the flashing and coppers and soda cans used then some time ago on MTC when some asked about engraving with the cougar back about dec or january time frame
Helping where I can when I can.
Using a 24" Silver Bullet Pro and also have a 18" Cougar
rachellann

Cutter: 18 Cougar, 24"Silver Bullet

Postby dgue » August 13th, 2011, 12:53 pm

i really want to try to do some 3 D flowers so hopfully I can get them to stick together I am super excited to work with this stuff. thanks Tyler
dgue

Postby kathybessey » August 13th, 2011, 1:40 pm

I cannot read this any more you people are ENABLERS!!!!! :ROFLMBO: :ROFLMBO: :ROFLMBO: :ROFLMBO:

Honestly now - I am so amazed at all of this and want badly to try embossing and cutting and engraving metals. I am just a big chicken! :hide: :hide: :hide: :hide:
kathybessey

Postby Retta » August 15th, 2011, 11:22 am

Tyler - did you make the aluminum blue with alcohol inks?
Retta

Postby Tyler » August 15th, 2011, 2:11 pm

Yes - I used blue alcohol ink on the metal! It worked like a charm!
Tyler

Cutter: Silver Bullet 13"

Postby Retta » August 15th, 2011, 2:16 pm

Thanks - I kept looking for colored aluminum and then I thought - I think he used the alcohol ink. Now I can put my shopping list together and work on saving money to use my MUCH appreciated coupon. I'm so excited!!! Thanks!
Retta

Postby Gigi » August 15th, 2011, 5:34 pm

I think Retta is on a roll!! Cannot wait to see what you create!

Gigi
Gigi

Next

Return to General