Pen & precision cut..confused.need advice...

Pen & precision cut..confused.need advice...

Postby pigtailpat » August 6th, 2011, 7:53 am

OK, here's my situation......

I need to do a photo mat for my MIL, as I must get to her a new photo of my kids. Husband advised that I should do a reg. size photo, as there really is no space in her bedroom where she spends most of her time.

So, considering I have no oversized matboard yet (and my new mat is taking its own sweet time in getting flat - it still curls), I'm going to try for either a 4 x 6 or 5 x 7 photo in an 8 x 10 mat, to leave space for words in pen.

However, I have no pen tool yet for the cougar (it's on my list, but last because the tables/engraver are more important to me at the moment), and that means the words must be done by the gazzy. This means I probably must do this project in .mtc to bridge between the gazzy/cougar. I've discovered the hershey text tool for inkscape (yes, a very late comer to it) and this is precisely what I wanted, so I will do a copy/paste to .mtc for the text. The new thin paths is very cool, but it doesn't give good results for script (I've tried various script fonts with that tool and it works best with non-script fonts). For this project I want a script!

So, this leads me to the question - I need very precise placement of the cut (which will be for this project a simple rectangle - I don't have the space for the fancier cutout for the photo) and the text so that the cut to the cougar is placed really accurately in relationship to the text. I am pretty sure knifepoint (KNK plugin) probably won't work for something like this or should I try that? I do have my calibration numbers from the signcut side, if I use a WYSIWYG cut, what is the process (which I have never done before) and which plugin KNK or BC? I know the laser has to be activated and set it 2 inches in, does the media get placed 2 inches in? I'm a little confused about this. I do plan to experiment by using only icky paper and the test pen in the cougar, until I get a sense of how to do this, as my matboard stock is rapidly getting low......

I know I am asking something probably covered in a video, it helps to have your experience pointing the way...

Thanks for your patience with this post!

Pat
New owner of an 18" cougar and the gazelle...still a newbie at the cougar and will soon explore it............
pigtailpat

Re: Pen & precision cut..confused.need advice...

Postby Thyme » August 6th, 2011, 7:57 am

I am not going to be much help here as I am not sure how you go from the Gazzy to the Cougar. But I can tell you that if you use the BC plugin then you place the laser 2" in from the side of the paper not the side of the mat
Thyme

Postby Angel135612 » August 6th, 2011, 8:02 am

ummmm In a way you have sort of a pen tool.... see if you can't figure out how to use the pen you want with the tool that comes with your machine for testing purposes. You may need to take the ink barrel out of it (if that is even possible) and add tape or something to make it secure in there... but it is an option... might be more work than it's worth but thought I would throw it out there.
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby pigtailpat » August 6th, 2011, 8:16 am

Diane, that was a good thought, but I want a special color to go with the mat (I am leaving the mat uncolored in this instance). One of my prisma markers. But with the test pen in the cougar, I can test out the whole design - which will be good (words and cut).

Dawn, I can do the words in the gazzy first, and simply transfer the same piece to the cougar and not even lift it off the mat (transfer the mat). To use the BC plugin, which I have never done before (I have been using the quick knifepoint method), do I put in the same calibration numbers from the signcut side? I'm going to have to review some of the videos again..
New owner of an 18" cougar and the gazelle...still a newbie at the cougar and will soon explore it............
pigtailpat

Postby Thyme » August 6th, 2011, 8:31 am

To use the BC plugin I can't remember if you use the calibration or not - I only used it a few times - just to test it worked correctly. Sorry
Thyme

Postby pigtailpat » August 6th, 2011, 8:53 am

Thanks Dawn. This is why I want to get the pen tool, so that everything for cougar can be done together (if I had the pen tool - I would have done this project on the signcut side), but my MIL is 86, her health is declining really fast (I saw her Thursday), and I want her to have a new photo of the boys - she has nothing recent. So this is not something that can wait until I can get the tool. I guess I am going to have to wing it.

If anyone has experience with the BC plugin on the .mtc side, or have other suggestions for me, feel free to pop in. I'm in the design work end, so won't be cutting/drawing for quite awhile...

Pat
pigtailpat

Postby CaseysAngel » August 6th, 2011, 9:51 pm

I have never calibrated my cougar to mtc for cutting purposes I don't guess since I don't even know how to do that.LMBO
CaseysAngel

Postby Gigi » August 6th, 2011, 10:36 pm

LOL - for shame , Christy!!

It really isn't hard (from one who was TERRIFIED of it!!) :ROFLMBO:
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby CaseysAngel » August 6th, 2011, 11:02 pm

CAGigi wrote:LOL - for shame , Christy!!

It really isn't hard (from one who was TERRIFIED of it!!) :ROFLMBO:

ya, if you say so.LOL
CaseysAngel

Postby Gigi » August 6th, 2011, 11:13 pm

I do!! It's really kind of fun but I like challenges and figuring things out. Once it's all set it's just amazing to me how easy it is to print and cut and do so many things.

I am definitely a convert!! :shock:

Gigi
Gigi

Postby CaseysAngel » August 6th, 2011, 11:22 pm

why do you calibrate it to cut though/ I mean I set mine up for print n cut is that what you all mean?LOL To cut I just set the laser and go.LOL
CaseysAngel

Postby Gigi » August 6th, 2011, 11:31 pm

Yes - for print and cut. I dont do anything to cut - just hit origin and go! But then I use Inkscape and Signcut.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby CaseysAngel » August 6th, 2011, 11:36 pm

oh well I did calibrate mine then.LOL
CaseysAngel

Postby Gigi » August 6th, 2011, 11:45 pm

Good girl!! :)

Gigi
Gigi

Postby pigtailpat » August 7th, 2011, 6:26 pm

I just want to let you guys know, for the pen part of this project, I needed a little help with editing the hershey text on the inkscape side (I've been practicing), and Dawn jumped right in, knowing full well I have to use the pen on the gazzy (since I don't have the pen tool yet for the cougar). I thought that willingness to help was wonderful. I want to encourage anyone here, even if you might be supplementing use of the cougar with another machine, don't hesitate to ask for help, because even if it isn't cougar, if it's inkscape - Dawn will help no matter what!

I should be done with the project in a couple of days, as I have to pick up the printed photos tomorrow, and that's a big thing to work out which will be the preferred size (still undecided between 4 x 6 or 5 x 7 - alot will depend on how big I need the words for readability). I promise to post a photo of the project when done. The whole thing to this project are the words, not really the cut, as the cut is a simple rectangle.

Pat
pigtailpat

Postby Gigi » August 7th, 2011, 6:37 pm

I am sure it is going to be beautiful, Pat. Cannot wait to see it......

And so glad Dawn was able to help with the Inkscape part of the project on the other machine - she certainly is a wealth of information and has the patience of a saint (as evidenced by her helping me understand PNC on Inkscape in the first place!)

Your MIL is going to be so thrilled!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby CaseysAngel » August 7th, 2011, 8:30 pm

Dawn is amazing I tell ya.

Can't wait to see the project when you are done honey!!
CaseysAngel

Postby Thyme » August 8th, 2011, 2:39 am

You are all very sweet!
Thyme

Postby MeFlick » August 8th, 2011, 1:49 pm

Glad Dawn was able to help you out Pat. Can't wait to see your project!
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Cutter: 18"Silver Bullet & More

Postby Elizabeth » August 8th, 2011, 2:23 pm

Can't wait to see photos, Pat! It sounds like something I would like to try. I love to read about your projects. I really learn from your detailed descriptions!
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
http://shrinkingmimsy.blogspot.com/[/url]

Totally addicted to cutting with my new 24 inch Silver Bullet!
Elizabeth

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Return to General