My multi-cut is off

My multi-cut is off

Postby Esther » December 5th, 2017, 10:53 pm

Hi all,

I'm cutting 0.8mm chipboard using a 60 degree blade and the clickholder and my multi-cut (2x) is not following the exact same path on the second round.

On the horizontal sections of the cut, it cuts in a slightly different place. It seems to be doing this where the shapes have long horizontal cuts. The vertical sections are fine.

Any ideas what could be causing this?
Esther

Cutter: Silver Bullet 15inch

Re: My multi-cut is off

Postby Gigi » December 6th, 2017, 3:15 pm

Hi Esther -

Is there any chance your mat is buckled in those places and throwing off how it lays on the mat so it is effectively "shifting" a little when it runs horizontally? I know you are an experienced cutter so sure you have your blade settings set properly for the blade.

Just out of curiosity - have you tried the 60 degree plus blade that usually does a better job on chipboard. I am trying to think of why your vertical cuts would be fine but your horizontal cuts off. Do they start off at the beginning of the cut or do they move as the cut progresses? What force and velocity are you using?

Have you tried to draw the pattern with the pattern twice consecutively to see how if it looks accurate with the pen tool. That would help narrow down the options of what might be going on. Just a thought.......
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby Esther » December 7th, 2017, 9:30 am

Gigi,

Thank you so much for your answer.

My mat is most certainly a little warped, but I rotate it often and can say with some certainty that at least some of those cuts are falling in flat sections of the mat. But now that you've alerted me, I'm going to pay attention to the location of the cuts and extent of the double line on my next go. Brilliant suggestion, thanks!

My new order of 60 plus blades just arrived (the ones I have in stock are dull) so I will try with that.

As to the location of the problem cut, it seems to be on opposite sides of the rectangle so if on one horizontal it falls on the top left the on the second side, it would be bottom right.

My velocity is about 400 and the force 200. Blade extension is approximately the same as material thickness and blade height is set with the felt gauge that shipped with the machine.

One more thing I noticed, the problem does not occur on curves or complex cuts, just on the long horizontal straights.

Trust me to get the weird problems :D

Thanks again Gigi, I hope the added info will help you think along so we can get to the bottom of this problem.
Esther

Postby Gigi » December 7th, 2017, 11:15 am

I have appointments this morning but will think about it when my head is clear? Did you try cutting the same design on regular card stock? Just tryign to see if the chipboard and blade are the issue vs. something else.

More later........... :)

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Esther » December 8th, 2017, 9:56 am

Gigi, the thing is I have the thicker material which needs multi-cut and then the thin kind where multi-cut will likely eat into my mat. Let me see if I can find a different thick-ish material where I can try the multi-cut and let you know how it goes. Just to confirm, the regular 60 blade offset is 0.25 right?

Thanks,
Esther
Esther

Postby Gigi » December 8th, 2017, 10:28 am

Yes - the regular offset is .25. for the 60 plus it is.7

On the thinner material, just decrease your force so two cuts wont cut into the mat and do a multi cut - that should work and hopefully help us problem solve?

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Esther » December 10th, 2017, 11:27 am

Thanks Gigi, I'll try this and get back to you.
Esther

Postby Gigi » December 10th, 2017, 12:34 pm

Great - thanks Esther. We will figure it out!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Esther » December 11th, 2017, 11:28 am

Gigi I'm thinking the problem is with my click holder. It seems to cut fine when using a regular holder or the detail holder. I think the holder is slightly out of alignment. It came apart once while I was changing a blade/cleaning it and though I put it together again I guess it's not quite the same.

When cutting chipboard, due to the sturdy nature of the material there is more pressure on the blade and as the holder is not 100% OK this shift happens.

Does this make sense to you?
Esther

Postby Gigi » December 11th, 2017, 1:09 pm

HI Esther -

I am not sure I have heard of a click blade coming out of "alignment" per se, but they have malfunctioned a time or two - usually at the beginning. But I totally understand what you are saying and the fact that it cuts fine with other holders definitely leads to that one being the culprit! I am glad you figured it out - thank you for taking the time. I hope that totally resolves your issues.

So much for cleaning -right??!!?? :)

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Esther » December 14th, 2017, 2:19 am

Gigi I've tested the problem a bit further and it continues with any thicker material. This time instead of chipboard I'm using foam core aka mount board (slightly over 1nm thick) and you can see what happens. I've attached an image.

Earlier I mentioned it was on opposite sides but I was mistaken. The mistake is on the same side. In this case top right and bottom right.

I've used a 60 plus blade in the standard holder. Blade extension is about the same as material thickness. The velocity is 360 and the force 180.

I hope the photo helps in troubleshooting the problem.

On the upside, my click holder is probably fine and I can clean it to my hearts content :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Esther on December 14th, 2017, 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Esther

Postby Gigi » December 14th, 2017, 2:55 am

Hmmmm... late night thought...... are you sure the right pinch wheel is over the grit shaft and not slipping? The fact that it is happening on the same side makes me wonder about the pinch wheel. Is it holding well?

You keep working with thicker material and I am still wondering what happens if you cut a thinner material?

Will keep thinking....

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Esther » December 14th, 2017, 3:01 am

I had a closer look at the photo myself and one can see it is off on the vertical left as well.. Oddly, curves and complex shapes cut out perfectly.

Pinch rollers are fine. Thinner material is also fine using multi-cut but will try it a few more times just to confirm. I'm building a jewelry cabinet for my daughter so will have heaps of opportunity to cut thinner paper.

Do you have suggested force/velocity settings to multi-cut scrapbooking paper (example Tim Holtz, Graphic 45 etc)

Thanks again Gigi.
Esther

Postby mmhockeyfan » December 14th, 2017, 12:56 pm

Hello Esther,
Is it possible the SB white strip is worn?
I cut G45 with a 45 degree blade at Click 1 45f 2x multi-cut.
Good luck!
mmhockeyfan

Cutter: Silver Bullet Pro 24"

Postby Gigi » December 14th, 2017, 1:13 pm

If thinner material is good then that eliminates a few things. So back to the thicker material. Have you tried a new blade? Wondering if there is something that is catching on the thicker material. Is this the same material you have always cut. Did they change the way they manufacture it? We have found on occasion that product that cut well all of a sudden didn't and it was due to a change in the manufacturing process.........

Grasping at straws.......have you contacted your dealer to see if she has any other ideas?

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Esther » December 16th, 2017, 12:45 am

Gigi, mmhockeyfan,

Thank you both so much. I'll try the suggested multicut settings for the G45 paper and let you both know how I fare.

Gigi, I am able to modify the extent of error by raising and lowering the right hand side pinch roller. It's still off, but not as much as the picture shown earlier. It also seems to cut with less error at lower force, so I've been doing that as my project is slightly time constrained at present.

Again, my thanks to you both for thinking along and for your valuable input.
Esther

Postby Gigi » December 16th, 2017, 2:42 am

Is the right pinch wheel wearing down? Sometimes they need to be replaced. Have you cleaned it lately? (does it need it??)

Makes sense to me that your results are a little better with lower force.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Esther » December 20th, 2017, 11:31 pm

Hi all,

I tried the multi-cut using thin paper and it was also a little off. It appears to be a variable amount, ranging from a tiny sliver to perhaps a half mm. I can manage to disguise and compensate for the problem whilst assembling my creations. Gigi I think the issue is with the right pinch roller. When I raise and lower it a few times, it seems to work for a bit before lapsing into error again. It's not a huge problem and noticeable on straight long cuts only.

Thanks again for your help and input.
Esther

Postby Gigi » December 21st, 2017, 1:35 am

That is what I thought too. You can replace the pinch wheel. That is what I would do because it might just make all of the difference for you. They are not expensive to replace.

Good luck!

Gigi
Gigi

Return to General