First time user cutting fabric

First time user cutting fabric

Postby jenzo » June 15th, 2015, 9:23 pm

Hi, I am new to the SB, I want to cut out ordinary cotton quilting fabric. I have a 30 degree blade with a click holder. I am using SCAL4. I have tried to cut the fabric and it just rips it.
I have put the blade in the holder. Is there a special way it is to go in, i.e. orientation or do I just place it in? I have put my material down on the sticky mat. Should I be putting something between the mat and the fabric? Is there special setting for fabric cutting such as "Preset" "Holder" "Blade Offset" "Overcut"? Do I change the "Speed" and Pressure"? Do I uncheck the "Use Software Speed and Pressure" or set a specific one for cutting fabric? Love some help. Thanks
jenzo

Cutter: Silver Bullet 18"

Re: First time user cutting fabric

Postby Gigi » June 15th, 2015, 10:32 pm

Toni -

Since you are a brand new user, I would first ask if you have been through the learning center and successfully cut lightweight card stock and have a feel for that. Cutting fabric is not something I would recommend you learn to do in the early weeks of owning a machine.

You may need to stiffen the fabric for better results. You can search the forum for "fabric" and find a wide variety of topics and all kinds of fabrics discussed. Some use iron on interfacing like wonder under, some use a light spray starch to give it more rigidity for easier cutting. I just would not try to master that until you have mastered regular cutting. If you are already there - great.

You have to change the speed and pressure for everything you cut. You can use the software to cut the fabric or set it on the machine. While you are trying to find the right pressure, I would use the machine setting and uncheck the software setting.

I think it could be tearing for a lot of reasons - the fabric is too thin/flimsy (needs stiffening), the blade is too low, force is too high, speed is too fast.

Jo has done a video on cutting felt in contact paper and you could try that, but I would certainly use her as a resource since you purchased your machine from her. She has had great results cutting fabric.

Hope some of this helps - and search the forum for tips and tricks
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby jenzo » June 15th, 2015, 10:48 pm

Hi Gigi,
Thanks for the quick response. I had a look at Jo's video on cutting fabric and that was a great help. I'm just not sure about the depth of the blade. I'll email Jo and ask her. Cheers.
jenzo

Cutter: Silver Bullet 18"

Postby Gigi » June 16th, 2015, 12:05 am

You are welcome. Like cutting anything else - you don't want to cut into the mat. And as you will see us all say, it is difficult to give anyone an exact depth. Every person sets their blade holder a bit differently and extends the blade out a little more or less. A lot of cutting is trial and error no matter what the material. The more you practice the easier it is to cut different things and begin to judge the force you will need and get pretty darned close.

I know Jo will help you fine tune the fabric cutting. Good luck!
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby pigtailpat » June 30th, 2015, 7:10 am

You must stabilize the fabric and make it really stiff. Best way to do that is with liquid starch (sta-flo - do 100%).

Pat
New owner of an 18" cougar and the gazelle...still a newbie at the cougar and will soon explore it............
pigtailpat

Return to General