Heartbroken. Seriously, I don't know what to do.

Heartbroken. Seriously, I don't know what to do.

Postby KingKennyCool » May 3rd, 2022, 2:56 pm

My 48" professional has become possessed. It's cutting all over the place. Calling it slipping isn't strong enough. I''m unable to take pictures because the mylar reflects too much light. The funny thing is it will cut a 12 by 12 or 12 by 24 just fine. It's only when I want to cut larger shapes and use larger mats that things go off the rails.
To me it seems like the motor is weakened by the weight of the large mats and material. But from what I've been told that would be seriously uncommon. I bought a new motor and had the machine open last night but I must have gotten a motor for a 24" machine because the wires aren't long enough. I would love to avoid changing the motor.
I did replace a pincher wheel that had adhesive gunked on it. I have done a reset, on both machine and software. And like I said it works on smaller pieces. When I had it open I tightened the gripper bar, it was a little loose. But it didn't help.
It's imperative that I get this thing working properly so I'll take any and all advice.
Thanks.
KingKennyCool

Cutter: 48" Professional

Re: Heartbroken. Seriously, I don't know what to do.

Postby Gigi » May 3rd, 2022, 4:55 pm

When you say it is cutting all over the place, what do you mean? Could you give us more detail? Is it cutting the shape you want but in the wrong place? Does it start to cut and then stop? Does it cut in one spot and then move somewhere else? Is it making random cuts all over the place in various places? I cannot even begin to suggest something without more info!

Are you cutting with origin or WYSIWYG? What kind of shapes are you cutting? Have you been successful cutting these shapes in smaller sizes? I do not own (nor do I know anyone who does) a 48" machine, so I cannot try to replicate your issue.
I can only ask the questions I would as if it were 24" or any size really. Have you ever successfully cut the larger sizes files that are giving you problems now? Have you cut anything in a larger size? Has the machine done this from the beginning? How long have you had the machine?

I am sure there are more questions, but that's enough for now! And I assume you have talked with Sherri? She is the expert, especially on the larger machines.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby KingKennyCool » May 3rd, 2022, 7:52 pm

When I say all over the place, I mean like a Jackson Pollock painting. The cuts bear no resemblance to the images/svg. Meandering might be the best description. I usually use origin point, and it doesn't even start in the right spot. I usually turn it off when it's clearly not doing what it's supposed to. I took pictures but they didn't turn out.
I'm not even cutting anything difficult, just basic stencils. In mylar and clear vinyl. I don't think the files are the problem. Last night I attempted a 36 by 36 cut, that failed, a 24 by 24, that failed, and then a 12 by 12 that worked. All of the same image.
I have been using a 24 by 46 mat that I got from the website to do larger work. I inserted it in the machine portrait style. And it used to work fine. Recently I wanted to make wider images so I taped two 24 by 46's together, I think this is when the trouble began. But it's not like there was a clear "event" that started it all.
I've had the machine less that a year. I have been out to visit Sherri. I am local to her. And she is reaching out to all her contacts to help. I'm think I might have to set up a filming session. It has to be a hardware, inside the machine, problem. Probably my fault, lol.
KingKennyCool

Postby Gigi » May 3rd, 2022, 11:57 pm

Thank you for the answers. I am just trying to envision what you are describing. Let me tell you what I can for now. You mentioned usually cutting with origin. Me too - that is my preferred way to cut. Setting your origin does not mean the cutter will start cutting there. It depends on how the file is made and the machine will go to the beginning of the file, which is not always the origin. So that is not a concern to me; but of course, the random cutting is. It's interesting that things 12 x 12 or smaller cut fine. I know you said you cleaned one of the pinch wheels off - but it does make me wonder which pinch wheels you are using and if the outer ones, on the far left, are not holding well. Which pinch wheels do you have down when you cut? Are you sure the outer ones are clean and that they are centered over the grit shaft? If the mat is warped, there is always the chance that the pinch wheels will not hold it, but usually that would mean the blade would cut in some areas and not in others. When you are cutting a larger image, is the machine moving the mat as you would expect? Is the carriage moving normally?

Have you tried inserting a pen instead of the blade holder and letting it draw the cuts? Sometimes when we use the pen it can help identify what is happening because it is easier to see. You could just put copy paper on the mat and let the software draw the cut and have a good visual of what is happening. That might give you/us a clue. Did you go through the settings on the control panel to be sure nothing changed (it is easy to accidentally change one.) When you push the setting button, the BR setting should always be 38400. I know that causes problems if changed.

You said you had taped two mats together to do the larger cuts. Are you still doing that? Could the blade be catching on part of the mat and thus throwing off the cut? Since I cannot see what is happening, I am just trying to think of every little thing. Puzzled........

Will keep thinking. If anything comes to mind, else let us know.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby KingKennyCool » May 4th, 2022, 12:06 am

I'll try the pen idea tomorrow, so I can try and better show you what I'm experiencing. Thanks for your input and help. I'll try and put a demo together tomorrow.
KingKennyCool

Postby Gigi » May 4th, 2022, 11:18 am

Thank you. And please double check the other things mentioned as well. I reread your first post to see if I missed anything. I have never needed to replace a motherboard but perhaps that is the issue. I am a bit baffled as to why it will cut a 12" shape, but has difficulty with 36" or 48" which is why I mentioned the pinch wheels again. Is there anything you do differently, as far as mat set up and pinch wheels, when you are cutting a 12" shape vs. the larger ones? I am not trying to put the "blame" on you - just looking for any little thing that will give us a clue as this is a new one for me. I have been assisting with tech support for well over 10 years on these machines and this is baffling. And I have not heard of any of the larger machines having this issue.

We will figure it out. It may be a bit of trial and error, but I will get there! The next time you try a larger cut, see if you can watch the mat and the carriage and see if there is a pattern. For instance, does it start to cut the image and then at a certain point go off on its own - so to speak? You know what it looks like when it cuts the 12", so keep that in mind as you watch it cut a larger image. Have you tried (this is going to sound weird) flipping the image and cutting? Years ago, I had an image that cut beautifully on one side but the other would not cut and I had checked everything, tried different media, etc. I was told to try flipping the image and voila - the cut was perfect. Sometimes the machine just won't relay the info and there is no rhyme or reason for it - but seemingly unimportant things like that can make a difference.

Also, please confirm that your mat is not warped and is moving smoothly beneath the pinch wheels. Have you tried cutting a simple circle in the various sizes? I would like to know what happens when you try that; 12", 24", 36"; 48". Let's start with something that is easier to track and see what happens.

Thanks for your patience.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby KingKennyCool » May 4th, 2022, 3:50 pm

Now I"m really baffled. I tried a 12 by 24 cut that I need. It failed. I did film it, but it's clear vinyl and hard to see. I then tested the pen holder. Wouldn't you know, it worked. I tried another larger. 24 by 24, damn if it didn't work again. I then attempted an even larger one. It had issues and I shut it down. I scaled down the image and it's drawing a very intricate pattern as I type.
I have this all on video, I have to get back to work for awhile. And get more paper. I've ruined so much material, I"m reluctant to use any on these tests. I'll send video and results later.
KingKennyCool

Postby KingKennyCool » May 4th, 2022, 6:17 pm

I guess we are isolating the problem. The pen draws images fine. But when I try to cut a simple shape it start stops, gets about halfway through and then takes a detour.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
KingKennyCool

Postby Gigi » May 4th, 2022, 7:42 pm

That is why I suggested you use the pen - I don't want you to ruin material unnecessarily. And with the pen, you can also see what the machine is "cutting". It saves blades and material and the mat too!

How interesting that you were able to draw what you could not cut, until you went to the largest size. I still have some of the same questions that I asked earlier. Can you see anything that would give you a clue as to why it is cutting the image and then goes awry? Is there any chance that the mat has cuts in it and the blade is sticking in the mat and that is throwing the cut off? I know that is a stretch and I don't think that is what is happening, but I must ask! And while I am asking questions, when you were using the pen and it was drawing circles successfully until you tried a larger shape, did it start to draw a circle and then stop and try to continue to draw the circle in another area, or was it drawing a different shape altogether. It sounds like you stopped the machine before you had a chance to see what was happening, but just checking.
When you are cutting the larger shapes, are you setting your origin as close to the inside right of the machine and not going outside of the 48" cutting area of the machine? You have been successfully cutting these larger shapes until recently, correct? I have more questions than answers right now...

Gigi
Gigi

Postby KingKennyCool » May 4th, 2022, 9:07 pm

In the photo you can see I tried to cut a square with rounded corners. In three attempts it took the same wrong turn all three times. Different sizes and start points.
I tried to draw a huge 48" image and it also went array. The meandering thing again.
I'm just worn out by it all now. I can't tell you how devastating this all is. The art shows start next weekend. Isn't there somewhere I can take it to get it fixed.
KingKennyCool

Postby Gigi » May 4th, 2022, 10:49 pm

Sherri repairs machines that are sent to her - or the owners do it themselves. The problem with yours is that it is not clear what the problem is. We could take a wild guess and say it's the motherboard, but you would have to purchase it (I don't know if Sherri has them in stock). I realize you are frustrated and just want it to work like it used to. I still have a lot of unanswered questions. And even if you did address all of them, I don't know if the answer would be clear. I can give Sherri a call in the morning (we are in different time zones) and see what she thinks given the communication you and I have had. But Sherri is the expert on this machine. No one knows it inside and out like she is. Since you are in the area, you can certainly contact her again. But there is no other place to take this machine. She is your best resource.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby KingKennyCool » May 5th, 2022, 12:01 am

I've kept her apprised of our tests. I have video, i just ran out of time today. I don't think it's a "normal" problem. I think it's an anomaly of some sort.
KingKennyCool

Postby Gigi » May 5th, 2022, 8:37 am

I do agree with you 100% that this is not a normal problem; as I said earlier, I have never seen this before. I sent Sherri a lengthy email last night as well.

Gigi
Gigi

Return to Silver Bullet Professional Series