HELP

HELP

Postby allandra42 » November 24th, 2020, 1:27 pm

I have sent two emails and havent gotten anything back from silver bullet but I need help. I got a new pc and it isnt recognizing my cutter. When I plug the usb cord in it says that it failed. I need help please. I have the silver b ullet pro 24.
Hours spent in my craftroom are considered by me "Time Well Spent"
Please visit my blog: http://timewellspentbylesa.blogspot.com/
allandra42

Cutter: 15 inch Cougar, 24 inch Silver Bullet

Re: HELP

Postby MeFlick » November 24th, 2020, 1:56 pm

Just a couple of quick questions. What cutter software are you trying to use? I would assume with SCAL but want to make sure.

Second, since it is a new pc, did you make sure you had downloaded and installed the drivers needed for the cutter?

Have you tried different USB ports on your PC to plug your cutter into? Have you tried a different USB cord?
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Cutter: 18"Silver Bullet & More

Postby allandra42 » November 24th, 2020, 3:24 pm

I have tried scal and mtc and they both say machine not found. I have tried 14 usb cords and I dont know what drivers to download other than the ones in scal and mtc is there any you can show me? I would so appreciate it
allandra42

Postby allandra42 » November 24th, 2020, 8:59 pm

sherri I really need help
allandra42

Postby MeFlick » November 25th, 2020, 5:15 pm

Sherri does not usually visit the forums. not sure why you would get no reply unless for some reason she’s not getting them or she is sick. Its not like her to not reply. Not sure where Gigi is, I hope she and/or Gigi are not sick. I have not seen Gigi post in a bit, hard to know since I can’t see when anyone was last on the site like some sites. However, Gigi is usually here fairly regularly unless she is sick. Unfortunately, there is not a lot of traffic here to help either. Not sure about the Facebook group since I don’t do Facebook.

Did you download and then install the driver from the software? The only drivers I am aware of are the ones through the software. You said you got a new PC, so I am assuming this is not a Mac computer. Sometimes I have seen where computers blocked a download and the installation of a driver. I had it happen, it looked like it installed, didn’t tell you it didn’t and didn’t tell you anything so you thought it installed but it had not. I assume also if it’s a PC, it has Windows 10 on it. You might google to see if there can be problems with installing drivers with windows 10. That was how I figure out my problem when it happened, it was a while back so not windows 10.

Does the cutter show as connected to a port as a device at all? Does it ding, when you plug it into the computer? Do you see it listed as devices on the computer? Do you know if your new cutter has a USB 2 port on it or is it all USB 3 ports?

Do you have access to another computer to see if you can connect to it on another computer? Just trying to see if it’s this particular computer? When you say when you plug it into the computer with the USBcord, “it says it failed” are you getting an actual error message on the computer saying this?

I will try to do some digging around to see if I can figure out anything else that might help. The only other thing would be if the USB port on the cutter it’s self has failed. If you have a port you know is working on the new computer, and a USB cable you know works (you can test both by plugging in another usb device in on that port with a cable, and both work, and then you try same port and same cable, on your cutter and it doesn’t work, no connection recognized then it may be a failed port on the cutter. I have not seen where anyone has ever reported this issue but it can happen same as USB ports on the computer can fail.

I will post back if I find anything else that may help. However, with it being Thanksgiving tomorrow my time to dig is limited.
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Postby MeFlick » November 25th, 2020, 6:29 pm

Ran across this on another forum on a different piece of equipment, not a cutter, but a device that works similar. Some users have problems with their equipment not working on USB or stopping within just a minute or two or three. Might be worth looking at/exploring if nothing else is working.

“ turn off USB suspend through the device manager in the control panel.” may need to google for more detail info./help on doing this and what why it needs to be done, did not see that info.
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Postby MeFlick » November 25th, 2020, 7:37 pm

Okay found out some information that hopefully will help you get it up and going. Try this and then let me know if it worked. Fingers crossed.

(1) Unplug your USB cable if you have it plugged into your computer.

(2) Go to this link, scroll down to the table

https://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/D2XX.htm

and on the far right side you'll see "setup executable"... click on that link, download, extract, and run it.

(3) After running that file, reboot Windows and wait for Windows to fully come back up.

(4) Then connect the USB cable to your computer, turn on the cutter and wait like 15 seconds or so.

Try again from SCAL since it auto-detects. You can also find out the Com Port by right clicking on the Windows Start button and selecting Device Manager. Then look for a folder called Ports… open it and it should say something like USB-Serial Com (X) where X is the chosen com port and you can then use that in MTC.
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Postby Gigi » November 25th, 2020, 11:16 pm

Thanks Melanie.

I have not received any emails, that I have not answered, but I have been in the hospital for the past month. Won't go into detail but it was tough and will take me some time to get up to speed. You can email Sherri directly at sherri@silverbulletcutters.com or info@silverbulletcutters.com.

Be sure that you have chosen your cutter in the software (go back through the learning center if you need to review how to do that). Basically you open Cutter -- My Cutter -- Manage Cutters and select your cutter from the drop down list. Your machine will not be recognized until you do that.

Hope the fix is that simple.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby allandra42 » November 28th, 2020, 7:48 pm

sberri is sick and can not talk. She has Covid. I have tried updating drivers I have tried un plugging and plugging I have tried different computers I have bought a new cable that fits the serial port I still can not get the machine to work. I am now gettign the message waiting on the cutter until it times out and says the machine cant be found. I hate to buy a new cutter but I sure am tired of fooling with this thing.
allandra42

Postby mmhockeyfan » November 28th, 2020, 8:26 pm

Hi,

I searched the CraftEdge forum and there are Sure Cuts A Lot users who use Macs and different cutters encountering the same issue. You may want to visit CraftEdge's forum. In the meantime, I'm sharing tips I found on the CraftEdge forum that might help:

1) Check Baud rate (I have 38400)
2) Do you use Silver Bullet Pro or Platinum? Choose the correct driver in Sure Cuts A Lot.
3) Although the user has a MAC, in the CraftEdge Forum this is the closest solution I found that you might be able to adapt to your situation:
Forum Topic: Cutting Machine Not Found Error-US Cutter-RESOLVED
Link to Forum Topic: http://forum.surecutsalot.com/viewtopic ... on#p113940

I hope this helps. If I see anything else, I'll come back and update.
Good luck!
mmhockeyfan

Cutter: Silver Bullet Pro 24"

Postby Gigi » November 28th, 2020, 9:02 pm

Well that explains why Sherri and I have not connected - it is rare for both of us to be down at the same time....

You didnt answer my question that I could see. Did you select the cutter from the drop down list in the software? I can send a screen shot if you need it.

Did you do a machine reset to be sure all of your settings are accurate? It is amazing how many problems a machine reset solves. But also please let me know if you have selected the right cutter from the SCAL drop down menu - it won't communicate without that.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby MeFlick » November 29th, 2020, 1:36 pm

allandra42 wrote:sberri is sick and can not talk. She has Covid. I have tried updating drivers I have tried un plugging and plugging I have tried different computers I have bought a new cable that fits the serial port I still can not get the machine to work. I am now gettign the message waiting on the cutter until it times out and says the machine cant be found. I hate to buy a new cutter but I sure am tired of fooling with this thing.

I posted above some step by step information with a link to another location to obtain drivers from to install. You need to follow those directions to install. Did you do that?
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Return to Silver Bullet Professional Series