MDF or other sturdy material for Christmas Village?

MDF or other sturdy material for Christmas Village?

Postby AnaBee86 » October 28th, 2019, 10:53 pm

Hello all, just wondering if anyone has tried to cut thin MDF on the Silver Bullet at all? My sister and I are hoping to make a small Christmas Village and would like to use something more sturdy than card board. We are in Western Australia and for some reason are struggling to find big sheets of balsa wood (we can only get our hands on long panels the size of wood flooring which doesn't fit the pattern). Any ideas on any other material that may stand the test of time a little better than cardboard? :)
AnaBee86

Cutter: 15" Silver Bullet

Re: MDF or other sturdy material for Christmas Village?

Postby MeFlick » October 29th, 2019, 8:53 am

First welcome - second. It is not just the "thickness" of a material that determines whether or not it can be cut on a drag blade cutter like the Silver Bullet machines. Besides how "thick" it is, you have to take the "density" of the material into consideration. This is why something like balsa wood can generally be cut, it is not very dense or fiberous. As a person who has worked with drag blade cutters as well as woodworking, I would suggest that MDF is not a material that you can cut with your Silver Bullet as it would be too dense. Further, there are safety issues and concerns when working with MDF due to the toxicity of the medium from the materials used to create MDF. If you are not familiar with how MDF is created and the safety concerns with it, a quick google search will provide that information for you in detail. It is not a material that I would consider using with a drag blade cutter even if I thought it could be cut. Unfortunately, some projects we envision do not give themselves over to being done with a drag blade cutter when the material needed to do it correctly is one that won't work with that cutter.

That said, there are ways to attempt what you want. Some people use "chipboard" which is different from cardboard. But again, with chipboard, you have to find one that is not to dense to cut. Some people cut "layers" of cardboard or chipboard and layer them together to create the sturdiness needed for a project like this. Others use the SB to cut "paper patterns" that they use to cut out the parts from a thicker medium with different tools.
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Cutter: 18"Silver Bullet & More

Postby Gigi » October 29th, 2019, 10:04 am

Thanks Melanie. This question was right up your alley with your woodworking experience. I admit that I didnt now what MDF was, so as you suggested, I did a search on Google and was startled to read some of the concerns with many people advising "do not use."

I was thinking along the chipboard line as well - and using additional layers for stability as many have done. You could even Mod Podge it increase the stability.

I would suggest trying a smaller project first with a variety of products to see what gives you the best result and then see if you can envision those products used on a larger scale - I would probably make a box or something "simple" that requires a little construction to see how it all comes together.

Would love to hear what you decide to use if you carry on with the project - and of course would love to see the end result. Good luck!
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby AnaBee86 » October 31st, 2019, 5:21 pm

Thanks so much for your insight! I'm so glad you guided me to research MDF.... wow :hide: I think I'll try the mod podge idea with layers and a very basic house to begin with :? I'll post pictures once it's done... love that you are all welcoming :) I've predominantly used my SB for wedding stationery, etc. and just LOVE how quick it is, so sometimes I think I push the boundaries with my ideas haha
AnaBee86

Postby Gigi » October 31st, 2019, 6:11 pm

You are welcome. Nothing wrong with pushing the boundaries and thinking outside the box. That's how you find new ways to do things, new ideas, and grow in a variety of directions. I love trying new things, especially when they work!! :)

Wishing you the best. Please keep us posted. We look forward to seeing what you create and learning along with you!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby MeFlick » November 1st, 2019, 8:06 am

We are always happy to try and help if and when we can and as Gigi already noted - nothing at all wrong with pushing the boundaries and thinking outside of the box - that's why most of us got a Silver Bullet to begin with. ;)

I have been amazed at some of the things people have crafted with a drag blade cutter, because they thought outside of the box. For some of those things - check out the "Masterpieces" subforum here. Here are links to two items crafted by Esther that should inspire you and show you you can do it with cardboard or foam core.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6371

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6372

Then this post by Linda creating a church and a house:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4761

and Whizzy's "Maple Manor" here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4558
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Cutter: 18"Silver Bullet & More

Postby AnaBee86 » December 9th, 2019, 11:19 pm

Thank you so much for your insight!! I'm currently working through all the suggestions trying to find the best solution :) November was a LOOOOOONG month, but am now ready to pick up the project again finally! Allbeit, a little late for Christmas 2019.

Many thanks to every one who responded... I will most certainly keep you all posted :)
AnaBee86

Postby Gigi » December 10th, 2019, 1:29 am

Good luck with all of it. We would love to see your results whether it be this year or next!!

Have fun working through the best options - it's so satisfying when you find the media that gives you the results you want.

Gigi
Gigi

Return to Silver Bullet Professional Series