What is the maximum size that can be cut on the 24" mat?

What is the maximum size that can be cut on the 24" mat?

Postby MyriamV » October 22nd, 2019, 2:31 am

I have a 15' Silver Bullet Professional Series that I purchased about 2 years ago. If I use the 24" mat, how big of a vinyl decal can I cut? This is going to be my first project with my machine (I know, it's about time! LOL) and I need to tell my client how big I can make his sign.
MyriamV

Cutter: 15" Silver Bullet

Re: What is the maximum size that can be cut on the 24" mat?

Postby Gigi » October 22nd, 2019, 8:07 am

It's not about the mat size, it's about the machine size. With a 15" machine, you are limited to 15" wide, but you can cut the full 24" long. Or depending on the design, you could make a longer design and piece it together. Just be sur eif you are utilizing the entire width that you start your cutting all the way to the inside right of your machine or it will go out of range and pause mid cutting if you try to cut wider than the 15". You might want to sample cut the design on a long piece of butcher paper just to be sure you understand how the design will cut.

And yes, it is about time!! I hope you have at least been playing with it during the two years so you have a good understanding of it. Cutting a long piece of vinyl can be tricky. You can cut a lot longer if you don't use a mat, but hat takes some trial and error to get used to how vinyl moves off a roll etc. Good to start a bit smaller and work your way up! Good luck!
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby MyriamV » October 22nd, 2019, 9:44 am

Thank you for the quick reply. I wasn't sure about the cutting area because when I look at the picture of the 24" mat, the ruler on the mat goes up to 26".

I haven't touched my Silver Bullet other than to keep it dust free. I know, pretty bad, right? LOL! I'm not too worried about it though, I like a challenge and learning new things. I've been doing some vinyl cutting on a small machine for a while now, so I'm not a total stranger to the vinyl part of it (12" x 12" sheets). This will be my first time using the Silver Bullet, so lots of reading to do to make sure I align things properly. The good thing is I have a batch of material that isn't good for selling that I keep for testing. I'll probably be making a good dent in that pile! :ROFLMBO:

The way I see it, this project is most likely the kick in the butt I needed to stop getting sidetracked and to finally start using my Silver Bullet! :-D
MyriamV

Cutter: 15" Silver Bullet

Postby Gigi » October 22nd, 2019, 11:35 am

Sounds great. And you can use the full length of the mat almost - if you go the full 26' come it will come out from under the pinch wheels - that is why it says 24" so you don't dislodge the mat from the pinch wheels. Glad to hear you have material to test cut and get a feel for it. Some people prefer to cut vinyl on a mat - some prefer to not use a mat - totally your choice and user preference. Try both and see what you are most comfortable doing. Obviously you can do longer designs if you are not limited by the mat.

Let us know if you have further questions. Enjoy and good luck! It will be fun once you get a feel for what is comfortable for you!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby MeFlick » October 22nd, 2019, 12:37 pm

One other quick question and note - you didn’t mention what software you are using. If I recall correctly, you can also be limited on the length of an item in the SCAL program, but SCAL Pro doesn’t have that limitation. I do not recall what that length limitation is off the top of my head. Perhaps Gigi can clarify if I am remembering correctly and perhaps tell us what it is.
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Cutter: 18"Silver Bullet & More

Postby Gigi » October 22nd, 2019, 3:34 pm

Thanks Melanie for the reminder. I was thinking about that when I was typing, but never got the words out! :banghead:
The PRO version of SCAL 5 cuts longer than 72". The regular version is limited to that.

There are lots of features listed that have been added if you ever want to be reminded on the Craftedge site.
www.craftedge.com

Gigi
Gigi

Postby MeFlick » October 23rd, 2019, 6:48 am

;) Thanks Gigi, good to know my memory was working somewhat!
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Cutter: 18"Silver Bullet & More

Postby Gigi » October 23rd, 2019, 9:32 am

Clearly yours is working much better than mine!! Thank YOU!

Gigi
Gigi

Return to Silver Bullet Professional Series