Motor sounding louder/having issues going North&South

Motor sounding louder/having issues going North&South

Postby corey291 » July 14th, 2018, 1:34 pm

Good Afternoon. First time posting here, so please forgive me if I'm asking a question that has already been addressed.

I've had my Silver Bullet 18" for a couple of years now and I'm loving it every day. Though last night while cutting some stencils, I could hear the motor running much louder than it used to. I also discover that when loading the mat, I'm seeing the motor "stutter" when I'm trying to move the mat forward or backward to load it. When printing, this happens as well, causing the cut to be offset, thus ruining the stencil. There is no problem with the assembly going from left to right, but when the mat needs to move up or down, I'm seeing this problem.

Can anyone provide any assistance? Thank you
-Corey
corey291

Cutter: Silver Bullet Professional 18 in

Re: Motor sounding louder/having issues going North&South

Postby Gigi » July 14th, 2018, 3:04 pm

I am confused by some of your explanation so going to try to figure out the issue(s).

You say the motor "stutters" when moving the mat back and forth. What speed is your machine set at. Could it be that the button is wearing out and you need a new button pad. When my button pad was wearing out it was hard to get the mat to move and I had to push the buttons harder and really realized the difference when I replaced it with a new one. Also if you have the machine on a lower velocity, it will move more slowly than on a higher one.

Then you say when printing it does the same thing - do you mean when it's cutting? Does it do this with all files or just the one you are working on now. That should not throw your cut off tho. Have you checked your pinch wheels? Are they clean and able to hold the material well. If they are too sticky the mat might be hung up on those which would explain the difference in having the problem up and down and not left and right because only the carriage is moving on a left to right or right to left cut. The up and down engages the pinch wheels so my first guess is that your pinch wheels need cleaning. And be sure they are lined up accurately as well. If the mat is skewing at all, that WILL throw your cuts off.

Hope something here helps. I am happy to try the file if you think that is the problem. You can figure that out simply but cutting a basic shape from the SCAL library and see how that works.

What material are you cutting - there are all sorts of things that will change the way the machine cuts, just trying to work off the information you gave me. So the more you can explain the better.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby corey291 » July 22nd, 2018, 11:40 am

Ok, forgive me for getting some of the terms wrong. I definitely could have explained it a bit better.

The issue has to do with whatever motor controls the wheels that moves the mat forward and backward. Not the pinch wheels, which are fine. When the machine is cutting, there is a very loud grinding noise when the wheels are in motion. What skews the cut is that when the wheels are supposed to be in continuous motion when moving the mat to its proper position, the wheels will hesitate for a split second. This causes the mat to not move when it should be moving, causing the blade to not be in the proper position when it is brought down to cut.

I will be happy to record a video for you, if you can let me know where I can put it for you to view. The pinch wheels are fine though, as this occurs even if the pinch wheels have been raised and are not in contact with the wheels that are controlled by the motor. Again, apologies if this isn't too clear. Like I said, I can videotape the issue for you if it'll help.
corey291

Cutter: Silver Bullet Professional 18 in

Postby Gigi » July 22nd, 2018, 12:16 pm

I would suggest you definitely contact Sherri if you have not already done so. You can call the 800 number or email her directly at Sherri@silverbulletcutters.com - based on when you joined the forum I will assume you have a new machine and it is still under warranty,. There should never be a loud grinding noise.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Return to Silver Bullet Professional Series