Blade is ripping paper

Blade is ripping paper

Postby merrymayhem » May 28th, 2018, 10:25 pm

Hi, I'm using the click holder and just changed my blade. Using the same settings I've been using for months and suddenly, parts of my cuts are basically not cut cleanly, to the point where the paper is ripped up from the mat. It is not during the straight cuts, but on the rounded, more intricate parts. Almost like the blade is caught on the paper and then dragging it while continuing the cut. Can anyone offer any advice? I've tried new mats, I've played around with the speed and force but nothing is fixing it. I've never had this problem before changing this blade. Thanks!
merrymayhem

Cutter: silver bullet 18"

Re: Blade is ripping paper

Postby Gigi » May 28th, 2018, 11:35 pm

Did you use the setting tool when you placed the new blade in? Be sure you arent too low. Also be sure your mat is not warped and your paper is well brayered (even tho you said you switched mats).

On rare occasion, a new blade can be nicked. You can check it under a magnifying glass or just place a new blade in and see if your results change. When a blade is catching paper, it's usually that it is nicked, too low, paper isn't brayered, mat is warped,etc. I would try a new blade and be sure to use the setting tool.

I am assuming that you are cutting a file that you have cut before. If not, then it could also be the file.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby MeFlick » May 29th, 2018, 4:36 am

Besides what Gigi noted, especially on making sure you have not seated the blade holder too low, you may want to reduce your blade exposure a little and reduce your pressure some. You noted that you are using “the same settings I’ve been more for months.” As you use a blade, over time, it gets worn and will often need increased blade exposure and pressure to cut. When you switch to a new blade, you need to reduce each of those to start. A new blade is not yet worn, and thus should cut better at lower pressure and blade exposure then what an old blade will. Since it seems to be catching and dragging, it sounds like this could be the problem if the blade is not nicked. And you don’t have the holder seated too low. Worth trying to see if it helps.
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Cutter: 18"Silver Bullet & More

Postby Gigi » May 29th, 2018, 9:45 am

Thanks Melanie - all great points! :)

Gigi
Gigi

Postby merrymayhem » May 29th, 2018, 10:17 am

Thank you all for your help! I don't know why it didn't occur to me that it could have just been the blade (I guess because it was new?). Anyway, it must have been a nick or something, because I changed it again and its cutting beautifully again. Thanks so much for your help!!
merrymayhem

Cutter: silver bullet 18"

Postby Gigi » May 29th, 2018, 10:42 am

Great to hear. Thanks for letting us know. Yes, it is rare, but new blades can be nicked So glad you are back to happily cutting!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby MeFlick » May 29th, 2018, 2:54 pm

Glad to hear it was an easy fix with another change of the blade. As Gigi noted, on rare occasions a new blade may be manufactured and arrive with a nick or problem. Sometimes, we cause the nick or issue when we go to swap them out and put them in. They are a little fragile so a slight bump on the edge of a mat can cause it.
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Cutter: 18"Silver Bullet & More

Return to Silver Bullet Professional Series