Any classes with this machine in Southern California?

Any classes with this machine in Southern California?

Postby mary1956 » October 10th, 2016, 9:01 am

Are there any classes offered for use of this machine in Southern California? Specifically around Simi Valley (Ventura County). I don't want to buy a machine before #1) seeing it in person and #2) having local support and classes.

Thanks
mary1956

Cutter: prospective buyer

Re: Any classes with this machine in Southern California?

Postby MeFlick » October 10th, 2016, 11:10 am

You are not going to find local "support" or "classes" for this machine "locally." There is lots of information and help available on-line through the Learning Center, support, this forum, you tube videos, etc. Even smaller "hobby" machines don't have "local" support. They may be sold in your local craft stores like Michael's, JoAnn's, ACMoore, etc. but those stores usually don't have any support for use of the machine and seldom do they have classes. Most of their staff are not really even familiar with the basics of the machines in my experience. If they do offer a class, the teacher is often someone local who has usually taught themselves the basics of the machine (and from my observations) may not really be that knowledgeable of the machine and all that it can do. Many of them don't even have a paid company support forum like this one to reach out for help to. (Neither the Cricut or Silhouette machines do. Cricut used to, they got rid of it.)

The only way to see one "in person" is to see if there is someone in your area that owns the machine and is willing to set up a time for you to come and see it in person. Some people are comfortable with strangers coming to their home or office for something like that, others are not. If you cannot find someone locally, you would have to perhaps travel to someone else who is willing to let you do so.

I understand your desire to want to see one in person and wanting to find local help but unfortunately, the odds are against that. Its just the nature of the beast for this type of machine. I was hesitant to buy my first large cutter online sight unseen but I decided it was worth the risk and bought the SB's predecessor, the BC Cougar, probably about 6 years ago, and now have a SB (donating the Cougar to my sister.) I have never regretted the purchase. The help and support I have always found has worked for my needs.

Have you had other cutters before? Do you have any experience with a cutter and/or software programs to use with them?
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Cutter: 18"Silver Bullet & More

Postby Gigi » October 10th, 2016, 12:20 pm

To add to what Melanie said (and there isn't much to add as her answer was GREAT!), I would just reiterate that the videos here on the forum and YouTube along with the photos and videos on www.silverbulletcutters.com will give you a wealth of information as well as the feeling that you will be support from users if you get stuck. Some of us who have had the machine from its inception, had to learn from scratch. And we did it - my point being that it just takes some time and practice. But now there is so much support here on the forum and online that I think you can find about anything you want to see. There are projects posted on blogs - information is everywhere.

If you have specific questions and cannot find the answers, please ask. We are all happy to help. I too was hesitant to buy something sight unseen with my first cutter (starting with Cricut, Wishblade and then a list of others...) but after knowing Sherri for years I have never given it a second thought getting a machine from her. She stands by what she sells.

As Melanie said, there are no area classes per se, but we can help you with questions. And if you go through some of the videos that show both the machine and the software, I think you will feel more at ease. I am in so CA, but not near enough to you. Oh - per the comment about local support, if you are ever in a situation where you are stuck, we can set up tech support and see what you are doing on your computer and help that way as well - and it's totally safe.

We understand your hesitancy, but we have thousands of happy users and I am confident we can get you over any hurdles you might encounter.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby AP3 » October 17th, 2016, 3:36 pm

As the proud new owner of a 24" SB, I can say that with my relatively limited knowledge of plotters, I was able to set my machine up and had successfully printed a version of my project in the course of half a day. It appears to be made of durable materials and does exactly what it's supposed to do. The key to success is to watch the tutorials, read materials online (from various sources) and go slow when you start using it. I was petrified to even make my first test cut, but by the end of the afternoon I was refining my settings with ease. The staff here has been very fast to respond to questions, even my vague "what if" questions. I think you will be satisfied with your purchase.
AP3

Cutter: 24" SB

Postby Gigi » October 17th, 2016, 4:48 pm

That is GREAT to hear. Thank you for sharing your success. And you are right - slow and steady will guarantee good results consistently!

I am willing to bet that most of us were petrified the first time we used any sort of cutting machine. But the more you do, the less scary it is, and you realize that it is next to impossible to ruin the machine so you can recover from anything!! :) Thanks again. I know you will continue to enjoy the journey!
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Return to Silver Bullet Professional Series