Question about Print and cut

Question about Print and cut

Postby Joycraft » September 28th, 2016, 12:00 pm

Hello,

I have a little question. Is it possible to print a large project (11" x 17") from Adobe Illustrator, export the cut lines to Silver Bullet and cut (and score) with perfect registration (no offset) between the colour print and the cut line ???

It’s for scale paper card model which requires great precision.

I have a Cricut Explore and is working well, BUT, the size of "Print Then Cut" is very (TOO) small!!!
Before selling the Cricut, I just want verified with you if the SB working well with large size!

Thanks in advance

René

P.S. I hope my english is ok
Joycraft

Cutter: Prospective buyer

Re: Question about Print and cut

Postby Gigi » September 28th, 2016, 12:17 pm

Your English is fine.

The short answer is YES - the only limitation would be what size can your printer print. Even the smallest machine will cut 11" wide and your length is not a problem. We always tell people to purchase the largest machine they can afford so you can cut larger projects if that is what you want.

The accuracy of the print and cut is great. I don't know how the Cricut does print and cut, but with the SCAL software, you can print with registration marks on your printer and then use those to line up your print and cut and then cut. With Adobe Illustrator, you can export as an SVG and then import into SCAL, or you can cut straight from SCAL. There is a free download on the craftedge.com (developer of SCAL software) website that enables you to cut straight from AI.

We have users doing all sorts of projects from cutting chipboard to engraving to vinyl cutting - from small to large projects. You can browse through the gallery online here or the Masterpieces section, or go to http://www.silverbulletcutters.com to see photos and videos of various projects. It's a great, accurate machine.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby Joycraft » September 28th, 2016, 12:33 pm

Your answer sound like a beautiful music to my ears :-)

Thank you very much, it’s appreciate

René
Joycraft

Postby Gigi » September 28th, 2016, 12:39 pm

You are quite welcome.

We do advise everyone to learn the machine first before attempting print and cut. It's not a plug and play machine, like the Cricut. There IS a learning curve, but there are instructions in the learning center (access given once you purchase a machine) and videos here on the website that will give you great information.

Good luck with making the right decision for you.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Joycraft » September 29th, 2016, 3:25 pm

Thank you again Gigi,

I think that Silver Bullet corresponds to my needs.

One more question, is it possible to cut and score in the same step? Just like a cricut??? If not, what is the procedure? Is it simple or complex? Is it Accurate?

Thanks again

René
Joycraft

Postby Gigi » September 29th, 2016, 3:47 pm

Not really - but it's not hard either. You cant cut and score in one step because you would be cutting through the fold lines, or not cutting the cut lines - make sense? So you will have your cut lines on one layer and your score/fold lines on another. You can use a different tool to score (using WYSIWYG so your score lines stay in place in relation to the cut lines, and then close the score layer, put in the 60 degree plus blade to cut chipboard and then cut the outline or cut lines. Depending on the results/look that you want, you could just lower the force and cut a dashed line for the score lines and then increase the force to cut the cut lines so you don't have to change the tool. I have done that when I am in a hurry to do something, but it is still two steps but you don't have to reposition anything. Just score first, then cut using either method.

It is simple and totally accurate because it is just copying what you have in your vector file.

Am out the door to a meeting so hope I answered this in a way it makes sense...

Gigi
Gigi

Postby MeFlick » September 30th, 2016, 10:02 am

Joycraft wrote:Thank you again Gigi,

I think that Silver Bullet corresponds to my needs.

One more question, is it possible to cut and score in the same step? Just like a cricut??? If not, what is the procedure? Is it simple or complex? Is it Accurate?

Thanks again

René

Just to clarify a little bit - I am assuming by saying "is it possible to cut and score in the same step? Just like a cricut???" you are asking about the Cricut Explore machine (since that is the one you indicate you presently own.) With the Cricut Explore machine and the newest Silhouette Cameo 3 - they both utilize a dual tool two carriage head so you can have two different tools installed so you don't have to take the time to stop and "swap" the tools out. The Cricut Explore is the only Cricut machine that offers that functionality. (Which is why I wanted to clarify on this point in case someone else new was reading this and didn't understand that older Cricuts do not have the dual tool capability.)

As Gigi noted - you cannot "cut and score" with the SB in "one step" but it is easily done by utilizing the same tool for cutting and scoring and utilizing "layers" within the software program. You have it "score" one layer at a lighter force (It can be a full line or a dashed line - I don't like the dashed line so I do it with the full line.) The key is to lighten up on the force and blade exposure so that it lightly "scores" the score layer. This is easily done once you are familiar with the process. Others prefer to use an embossing tool to lightly score the lines and then cut. To do it that way would require you to switch out the tools but again, its not that hard to do. You don't even have to take the media out of the cutter so you can keep the same "origin" of the first layer using WYSIWYG cutting - take it off line to swap out tools. It really takes more time to explain how to do it then it does to do it once you are familiar with the process.

Having had both Cricut and Cameo cutters, and a SB - the SB is a much better robust cutter that lets you do so much more. Doesn't lock you into their programs, images, or having to have Internet access to cut with. As much as I liked the sound of the dual tool head when Provocraft introduced the explore - I would not get it couple of reasons but one big one was I would not want to be tied to their online software program in order to cut to my cutter. Plus, having used other cutter software and PC's products in the past - their software leaves a lot to be desired.
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Cutter: 18"Silver Bullet & More

Postby Gigi » September 30th, 2016, 10:49 am

Thanks Melanie for the information - especially on the Cricut Explore. I really have not paid attention to their machines since owning the first one MANY years ago! I had totally forgotten about the dual head function.

And just to add to what Melanie said, depending on what you are scoring, many users prefer the engraving blade to score as you get a sharper, thinner line - but again, the force needs to be lowered so you don't "cut into" the material you are scoring.

Gigi
Gigi

Return to Silver Bullet Professional Series