Die Cutting Newbie

Die Cutting Newbie

Postby carrie8abug » September 5th, 2016, 8:48 pm

Hello all, and thank you in advance for any help you can offer (it's truly appreciated).

I have looked at various models and machines, but I am not even entirely sure what the machines are capable of, and what I need as far as a machine. I currently have an Etsy shop where I sell scrapbooking kits and handmade flowers, etc.

What I want to do is design my own kits, instead of purchasing everything from manufacturers. I would want to be able to make fabric flowers and emboss them, cut card stock die cuts with specific designs, chipboard pieces, perhaps leather or burlap or vinyl on occasion. I would be producing a much larger quantity than the casual home crafter.

My questions are these:

1. Do you have to use specific software, or can I import photoshop (.psd) files or .pngs or .jpgs created through photoshop?

2. Would I need extra accessories to emboss?

3. Does this machine print designs, or do you just use colored papers? And do you need an extra tool/accessory to do this?

4. And do you have to have some special permission to own and use one?

I am sure these are all answered somewhere out there, but I've had a difficult time finding what I'm looking for, since I don't really know exactly what I'm looking for... I truly appreciate your time!

-Carrie
carrie8abug

Cutter: Unsure...

Re: Die Cutting Newbie

Postby Gigi » September 5th, 2016, 11:34 pm

Hi Carrie -

Welcome to the forum. I think you will have a much better idea of what this machine can do, if you go to http://www.silverbulletcutters.com You can see videos of a variety of projects as well as photos. You can also look at the photo albums here under "Galleries" or scan the "Masterpiece" section. Just trying to give you additional areas to get a feel for what this machine can do. If you go to the "Broadcast" section of the forum, you can see instructional videos on the machine and the tools that come with it and also the software that comes with it - SCAL (Sure Cuts a Lot). If you have additional questions about the software, you can go to http://www.craftedge.com and read about it. When you purchase a machine, you will gain access to the Learning Center which is an online basic tutorial that takes you from taking the machine out of the box to setting up on your computer and making your first cuts.

As far as materials it can cut, it ranges from paper, card stock, chipboard, metal, stiffened fabric, acetate etc. You can also engrave on materials that can fit under the blade holder of the machine. It cuts vinyl like butter.

Yes, there is a lot of info here on the forum that you can search for, but we are all happy to answer questions to the best of our ability!

With that in mind, let me try to answer your questions and I know others will help as well.

1. Do you have to use specific software, or can I import photoshop (.psd) files or .pngs or .jpgs created through photoshop?

I mentioned SCAL above briefly. SCAL is the software that connects your machine and computer. It will easily import AI and CDR files as well as jpgs and pngs. With jpgs and pngs, you need to bring them into the software and trace them to get a vector file so you have something to cut. The software traces easily and you have the ability to get just an outline trace or a detailed trace. Just trying to give you a quick overview. It will import files from Illustrator, Corel Draw, PDFs, Brother Scan n Cut as well as the hundreds of thousands of svg files out there. So if create a file in photoshop, you can trace it in SCAL and then save it as a SCUT file which is the proprietary name for files that open in SCAL. Not sure how much detail you need or want - just trying to give you an overview.

2. Would I need extra accessories to emboss?

Yes, you would need the embossing mat and embossing tools. The machine does a better job of debossing. You can also make files to create like an embossing folder - there are options. It is easiest to emboss lightweight metal (pliable) or vellum. You can see examples on the Silver Bullet website mentioned above.

3. Does this machine print designs, or do you just use colored papers? And do you need an extra tool/accessory to do this?

No- none of the cutters on the market do the printing. You would print on your printer. If you want to do a print and cut, you would follow the directions in the software to print with registration marks, then you line those registration marks up on the machine with the laser and cut. That is the super easy glossed over explanation. We highly recommend that no one do a print and cut without first really learning the machine and getting comfortable with it. Taking your time to learn will save frustration later on. There is a learning curve, but once you get over that, the sky is the limit on what can be accomplished. You will see that as you browse some of the suggested areas.

If you had a design - lets say a flower with petals , a center and a stem and leaves (keeping it simple), once you have the design in SCAL, you could select the petals, group them together and put them on their own layer, put the center on another layer, the stem and leaves on one or two others depending on what you want. You could cut each out of a different paper. That is totally your choice and the machine gives you the freedom to create what you want.

4. And do you have to have some special permission to own and use one?

No - if you are talking about the machine, you do not need special permission to own or use it. You just need to be sure you buy from an authorized dealer, which would be Sherri in the US, Dawn in the UK and Joanne in Australia.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby carrie8abug » September 6th, 2016, 2:12 am

Thanks for the info, Gigi, and the resources. You saved me much frustration! Thanks for the info on the printing and cutting, especially, as that was one of my main wonderings.

Appreciated!
Carrie
carrie8abug

Cutter: Unsure...

Postby Gigi » September 6th, 2016, 8:43 am

You are very welcome. If you have other questions, please feel free to ask!
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Return to Silver Bullet Professional Series