Materials Types (Wood,Metal,HTV etc

Materials Types (Wood,Metal,HTV etc

Postby studiobot » July 25th, 2016, 11:04 am

Hi Everyone,

I just received this amazing cutter. I have a few questions.

Vinyl
What is the best setting to do:
[list=]HTV
Glitter
651 & 631
Magic HTV[/list]
How can I do multi cuts without the machine loosing its settings? Tried this on a 12x12.

Metal
Images( How do I get an image ready for deep engraving, tip, blade housing)
Words (Best font choice)

Wood
Images( How do I get an image ready for deep engraving, tip, blade housing) Words (Best font choice)

Will this machine engrave on plex glass?

Last Topic
Rhinestones
How do I prepare the machine for this? I want to use 6mm to 10mm stones.
Thank you,
Danita
studiobot

Cutter: Silver Bullet

Re: Materials Types (Wood,Metal,HTV etc

Postby Gigi » July 25th, 2016, 6:43 pm

Since you are a new user, we highly recommend that you spend time going through the learning center and watching the videos listed here on the forum (Under Broadcasts) to get a good feel and knowledge for what the machine will do and find your own comfort level with doing simple things like cutting shapes out of lightweight card stock etc.

Multi cut is just a setting in the software - it defaults to "off" - but it has a drop down menu that allows 2-5 additional cuts. The settings don't change - it just repeats the "cut" as many times as you select. I feel that you really need to spend some time in the Learning Center and with the videos before you begin to tackle these materials.

The very best teacher is trial and error.... and the test cut button. There is a "guide" under FAQ in the learning center, but it is just that - a guide. Everyone sets their blades a little differently and material can vary. You will see people cutting regular vinyl anywhere from 2 - 40! It can also depend on which blade holder they are using which is a personal preference. For instance, I use the click blade for just about everything and love it. Many prefer the standard blade holder. There is no right or wrong - just what works best for you.

HTV can be one of the most difficult materials to cut. I suggest, once you are familiar with the machine and how it cuts, that you do some cutting with regular vinyl first before trying HTV. If you read the threads on the forum (you can search for topics) you will see a lot of tips and tricks, like putting glitter HTV face down on the mat for easier cutting.

I am not going to go into detail with the other questions right now. I think you have a lot of learning and experimenting to do and have not given a lot of info. Embossing or engraving metal depends on what kind of metal you are using. Also depends on the detail of the image - if you are engraving a hard metal you would use the engraving tip - if soft metal, you can emboss with the embossing tools. Additional videos with info are on www.silverbulletcutters.com

If you are engraving you will want to hatchfill the design (discussed on here many times - there is now a setting in SCAL to do that) so you have a lot of detail. You can look in the Gallery on the forum to see different engraving projects that we have done. Engraving takes a long time, but the end result is worth it!

You just want a clean image no matter what you are doing. If it is node intensive, you may want to simplify the pattern and reduce the nodes. Remember each node is a message to the machine to move there - so the more nodes the more instructions to the machine.

I am not sure any of us can "suggest" a font as there are so many styles of fonts from printing to script to fancy to block - well you see what I mean. Not all fonts are clean and cut well. I would suggest you find one that you like and then use the pen tool to draw it and see if you like the end result so you are not wasting material.

Rhinestones are a detailed process using sticky flock for patterns. Some use SCAL for that, many use a rhinestone program and they have been talked about a lot here.

You are attempting to learn a lot about a lot. I would suggest that you take one thing at a time and get really adept at it before tackling another, or you could get really discouraged. There is a learning curve and it is why we suggest taking the time to do simple things on the machine and go through the learning center a few times before branching out. Those who have gone through the steps have been very successful.

I hope this helps a little. Take your time and you will have a great time creating!
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby studiobot » July 26th, 2016, 11:13 am

Thank you. I also have a Cricut and have done the items in questions. I was disappointed with the software hence why I bought the SB.
Thank you,
Danita
studiobot

Cutter: Silver Bullet

Postby Gigi » July 26th, 2016, 11:25 am

Ok - I understand. But there is still a learning curve from cutting machine to cutting machine. I think you will be very happy not only with the software but with the quality of the cuts you get.

Let us know if you have more questions once you have a chance to get accustomed to the differences between machines. Enjoy the learning and welcome to the family. You WILL be excited at all it can do and how easily it does it!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby KavonK » August 31st, 2016, 7:50 am

Many people are new users but they are asking questions that seem to always be avoided by telling them to learn the machine first. Not trying to be snippy, but some folks have purchased the machine for very specific type projects. Okay, let's say we have "learned" the machine first, How does someone engrave on wood/acrylic? I have had my SB for several years and I am asking how to engrave on wood. The items are 1/8" thick and I need to be able to engrave words or a simple picture. Can the SB do this and if so, which tool can you use to accomplish this? I would like to see a picture of something someone has engraved.
KavonK

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet Pro

Postby Gigi » August 31st, 2016, 8:50 am

When we know someone is new and is asking questions like that, we will say be sure to learn the machine first as that is one thing that can be very frustrating if you are trying to do something more difficult but do not understand the basics.

You will also find many detailed instructions on here about how to do things, along with videos. I believe there is an engraving project *(video) on silverbulletcutters.com. I am running out the door this morning or I would check first to be sure.

The engraving tip is what is normally used to engrave a material, but that can vary. For instance, the embossing tool is used on leather to get a beautiful effect. I know we have a video on that in the forum under Broadcasts.

You can absolutely engrave on acetate. Many of us have done it. And the techniques have been explained here. The quick answer is that you would hatch fill your image or letters (using the SCAL software) and then use the engraving tip on acetate. There are MANY projects posted under Masterpieces as well as in albums of individuals. Which reminds me that I have not updated mine in a long time! You can get beautiful engraving on what looks like mirror, but is mirrored plastic. Glass is very hard on the diamond tip engraving tool and will wear it down, so we recommend acrylic or the mirrored plastic.

You can search and find much more info - I hope that helps you get started. I glanced quickly and this video discussed the SB tools viewtopic.php?f=54&t=5690

Most people engrave on acrylic and/or metal. The engraving takes a long time because all of the open lines have to be filled, but the end results is so worth the time invested.

If you have more specific questions, ask away.

Gigi
Gigi

Return to Silver Bullet Professional Series