Cuts are off even test cut

Cuts are off even test cut

Postby Cuttingfun201 » May 16th, 2016, 11:17 am

Hello,
Any help would be appreciated. I have enclosed a picture of what is going on with the cut
I am using scal 3
the shape is the ring from shaped in the file in sure cuts a lot
The 1st one is with a overcut of 2.00 the 2nd ring in the picture is overcut of 1.00 (this is where I started)
just wanted to see what would happen with it set on 2.00 Settings started out at Offset .25 MM and overcut 1.00 MM

The test cut has a cut in it that is why I am trying to figure out what is going on.

Cutting cricut vinyl brayered down securely on a matt
V 400
F 25
with a 45 degree blade (new, started out with a 60 then changed to 45 degree both new)

The circles are not even round they are oblong on the inside cut.
Any suggestions Thank you
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cuttingfun201

Cutter: silverbullet 15 inch

Re: Cuts are off even test cut

Postby Gigi » May 16th, 2016, 12:06 pm

Your blade settings should be where you initially had them - .25mm offset and 1.00 overcut.

Just because you put a new blade in, doesn't mean that it's not chipped - I would check it to be sure because sometimes that happens.

Your force seems really high to me for vinyl as it almost looks like the blade is sticking in the mat or that the material is shifting. Are you sure you are not cutting into the mat? And is the mat clean so the blade is not catching on any residue on the mat?

The test cut always has one corner that is left with a chad.

I would double check the blade, settings and mat to be sure there is nothing that would be causing the blade to "stick" in areas.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby LisaH » May 16th, 2016, 12:35 pm

First make sure your pinch rollers are completely over the grit shafts and not slightly off. Second you can also try an offset of .30mm if the rollers are correctly positioned and you are still having the same issue.

Lisa
LisaH

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby Cuttingfun201 » May 16th, 2016, 12:52 pm

All pinch rollers are in the center of grit shafts
Only using 2 pinch rollers on the outside edges of matt and then put down the 3rd one (center of matt) on this last cut

Brand new cutting matt brayered down vinyl really good.
Just changed to click blade holder new blade.
Test cut on one did not cut the test rectangle completely thru it cut the 2 short sides and the long front side but did not cut the back side at all, so went up to # 2 on click blade
V 400
F 25
offset 25

Checked matt where ring was cut out and it is not cutting thru the backing on the vinyl nor making any indentations on the matt.
Still have misshaped ring and hanging chad.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cuttingfun201

Postby LisaH » May 16th, 2016, 1:29 pm

Quick question - do you have the tables for the cutter? I'm asking because if the mat isn't held level it can pull when going through the machine creating drag which can also cause misshapen cuts.
LisaH

Postby Cuttingfun201 » May 16th, 2016, 2:22 pm

Hello,
Wish to thank everyone for trying to help
Yes I have the tables and they are on it.

I am changed the blade out for the pen to make sure that everything was drawing correctly and it is also the ring is round

Do you think by chance it could be the cricut vinyl.

and if I need to do something quick what type of blade would you suggest and what type of vinyl I need to get this done for next week.
Cuttingfun201

Postby Gigi » May 16th, 2016, 2:47 pm

Most of us use the 45 degree blade for cutting vinyl.

I have not cut Cricut vinyl, but it certainly could be the material. I have seen other materials throw cuts off. And the fact that you can get a perfect circle when you draw it certainly narrows down what could be the issue.

Most of us use Oracal vinyl - it cuts like butter and is readily available.

Good luck. Please keep us posted.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Cuttingfun201 » May 16th, 2016, 7:10 pm

Hello still off

Did a testing with the pen a few minor adjustments and it came out almost perfect.
love and ring pen.jpg

The switched back to the click blade
New Matt brayered down vinyl New roll
V 400 and then tried 100 to see if that made a difference (it works with the pen) it did not Shapes still off
F 25
The test cut was great rectangle Shape and cut came out perfect.
But when I tried to cut the word Love and the ring (from shapes) it still does not cut the shape correctly (deformed)
the ring and the e from cut.jpg

and even the center of the e did not cut thru. But the test cut was fine.
offset .25
Overcut 1.00
Do not know what to try now :banghead: any ideas
Cuttingfun201

Postby Gigi » May 16th, 2016, 8:08 pm

It looks to me like your blade could be nicked . Did you check it under a magnifying glass?

Are you sure when you put the blade holder in that it is tightly in place and not slipping?

Yes you should slow the speed down with the pen, but with the cuts the machine performs even better at a higher speed.

To rule out the vinyl being the cause, could you put a piece of lightweight card stock that you have cut before with success and see how that cuts. We know it's not the machine, so let's narrow down what we can.

Have you tried cutting the vinyl without a mat? You say you are using a new roll. Are you cutting a piece from the roll and then adhering it to the mat? If it was curled one way (on the roll) and you are brayering it flat, it could be pulling up just a little. Trying to look at all of the steps you are taking....

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Cuttingfun201 » May 16th, 2016, 9:05 pm

Hello Thank you for trying to help.

I really do not think it is the blade I am on # 3 of new blades and still the same result
Yes I use the brayer and go over the entire piece 3 times.
Yes I have the blade in the holder tight I have had issues in the past where it works it ways loose so I know it is tight.

I will have to try cardstock with it on Tuesday I was trying not to use my new mat for paper so it would not get the little bits and pieces stuck to it.
Thank you again will try cardstock on Tuesday and see what happens.
Cuttingfun201

Postby Gigi » May 16th, 2016, 10:17 pm

I understand that you don't think it is the blade, but please just humor me/us and look at the blade under a magnifying glass to be sure.

You can certainly use an older mat to test the card stock - and just cut a square so there won't be any residue regardless.

Do you have gummy residue built up on the pinch wheels so they are not holding the mat firm enough?

Gigi
Gigi

Postby PennyDuncan » May 17th, 2016, 5:49 am

The first thing that keeps popping in my head is I think the vinyl is shifting on the mat.....I say that because I know when I've brayered vinyl to a mat and make sure it's brayered really really really well...it still lifts as time goes on.......is there anyway you could try cutting the vinyl without the mat? Generally you only want a "kiss" cut...meaning cutting the vinyl layer only...not the layer beneath....that way it's another elimination for you.
Have a Blessed Day...Penny Duncan
http://pennyscreativearthaven.blogspot.com
PennyDuncan

Postby Cuttingfun201 » May 17th, 2016, 8:30 am

Thank you Penny,

I did try it and it was still off without a matt Same funky shape tried 3 cuts and do not know if it was off to the vinyl being curled a little
So I have a sheet that is getting flatten under books right now.

One thing that I did notice is that I had to adjust the click blade all the way to 4 to get a kiss cut.

BUT WAIT :excited:

This is the big one I took the click blade out of the holder on the machine to change the blade one more time (The 4th time)
I noticed that the actual blade holder on the silver bullet had a lot of play in it. This is the little arm that comes out and holds the blade holder. Should this really be loose ???????? It had so much wiggle room it was not funny. I finally caught that this did not seem right. I had my husband find a tiny screwdriver to tighten the 2 screws on it. He said the bottom screw was almost all the way out. Last year I had issues with the blade coming loose in the actual blade holder. Not the click holder. I am wondering if this has been the problem all along. Should the arm be tight with no play (except up and down) Mine was so loose it was wiggling side ways.

Thank you every one for you help :grouphug:
Cuttingfun201

Postby PennyDuncan » May 17th, 2016, 8:38 am

It should indeed be secure......you should not be able to wiggle it.......so that may very well be your problem.....Now you should definately be able to push up and down.......but it should not go side to side.......it should remain stationary attached to the head of the cutter part that a moves the blade holder on the machine...if that is as clear as mud!!!!
PennyDuncan

Postby Cuttingfun201 » May 17th, 2016, 12:56 pm

Happy Dance Happy Dance :excited:
love cut.jpg

No matt kiss cut so simple once the blade holder was tighten to the Carriage.
Thank you all for your suggestions. :grouphug:

Now to get to cutting things that should have been done last week for the 1st wedding.

Hope this will help someone else in the future.
Cuttingfun201

Postby PennyDuncan » May 17th, 2016, 1:24 pm

Wahooooooooooooooooooo!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!! And welcome to your new addiction!!! ;)
PennyDuncan

Postby Gigi » May 17th, 2016, 1:27 pm

So glad you got it all worked out. I don't remember that being a problem for anyone before so great info. Good luck with your project!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby LisaH » May 17th, 2016, 4:47 pm

So happy that you got it all worked out!

Lisa
LisaH

Return to Silver Bullet Professional Series