envelopes and gift boxes

envelopes and gift boxes

Postby gizmo » May 10th, 2016, 10:41 am

:-D Hi - bought a silver bullet about a month ago and sadly I haven't had the time to unbox or the space to set it up
I know terrible lol - hoping to rectify this asap - especially as I have a project I need to start - hence my question - any help or links would be great

okay - please could anyone let me know whether you can make envelope - box envelopes and gift boxes or different shapes - probably a really simple question
but if I don't ask I will never know lol - again thank you in advance gizmo
gizmo

Cutter: silver bullet

Re: envelopes and gift boxes

Postby Gigi » May 10th, 2016, 11:54 am

Yes - you can make about anything you want to make - you are only limited by the size of your machine.

You can google free svg files for envelopes, gift boxes etc and find an array of files that way - not all files out there cut well however! If you look at the Gallery in the forum and/or the Masterpieces thread, you can see a wide variety of things made, including envelopes. Hopefully you have a large machine so you are not limited to smaller sizes!
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby Barbara » May 10th, 2016, 6:09 pm

here is a site you can create envelopes and a lot of other things. I think you can now save as .svg.

http://templatemaker.nl
Barbara

Postby Gigi » May 10th, 2016, 6:20 pm

Thanks Barbara. What a great site for any shape one might desire!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby gizmo » May 11th, 2016, 6:14 am

Thanks Barbara - I had a quick look - will go play and see what I can achieve - lol - need to find out how to use the template with the silver bullet - guess I need to be able to cut out and score the folding sections - fingers crossed again thank you gizmo
gizmo

Cutter: silver bullet

Postby Gigi » May 11th, 2016, 11:34 am

Be sure you take the time to follow the steps in the Learning Center and watch videos as needed before you tackle box cutting etc. Just give yourself time to know your machine.

If you are going to cut and score, be sure you cut WYSIWYG so the cut and score lines remain intact and in the right place.

I just tried it - you just take the shape you want, put your dimensions in and save it as a pdf. Then open SCAL and import the PDF file and it will import easily. But you will have to ungroup it - and then you will have a gazillion of little lines that will have to be grouped by color (fold and cut). You can see how many there are in the layers. Have I totally confused you?? It just doesn't seem as easy as it should be.

I can see that getting the pieces into layers so you can cut the right lines and fold the others might take some work. Again, you can find ready made box and envelope files out there for free - You can search through the forum and find all sorts of suggestions for sites that have quality cutting files - not all cut as clean as others but it might be easier to use a file that was made for cutting and scoring. I would suggest going that route just for the ease of use while you are still learning.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby jobab » May 11th, 2016, 4:50 pm

With the template maker software you should be abl to export as an svg file
jobab

Cutter: Silver Bullet,Silhouette Cameo,cougar

Postby Gigi » May 11th, 2016, 5:05 pm

Thanks Jo. I kept trying to figure out how you did that as I opened up the PDF and there was no option. Duh - so for anyone else having a mental lapse :( - when you are in the template maker, click on "more options" instead of CREATE - that was where I made my mistake. When you click on more options, scroll down and you will see expert settings. Click on SVG (I also chose Inkscape as the program just in case even though I didn't need it) and then it takes you to a picture of the file. Right click and save that as an svg - it defaults to that. Then when you import into SCAL and ungroup it, you will have a fold layer and a cut layer - perfect!

Explaining it for anyone else who hurries through it like I did!! Thanks Jo and Barbara!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby IndelibleImpressions » June 6th, 2016, 2:59 pm

Birdscards.com also has a number of free templates and low-cost products you look check out.
IndelibleImpressions

Cutter: Prospective Buyer

Return to Silver Bullet Professional Series