Cardstock Tearing During Cutting

Cardstock Tearing During Cutting

Postby partyatyourdoor » April 1st, 2016, 9:14 pm

Hi, I'm a proud new owner of a Silver Bullet 24, and my husband and I have spent the last 1.5 weeks doing about 100 test cuts! We went about this very systematically, using the same design on the same exact cardstock and cutting it time and time again, each time making note of the velocity and the force.

My problem is that my cardstock (65#) keeps tearing. I cut a lot of small custom confetti, often times a name (which is normally either Brody or Arial Black font welded) that measures about .75 inches x 1-3 inches long (depending on the length of the name). We've found that a force of 107-120 with two cuts is giving us better cuts, but they still aren't great. I was getting better cuts on my Silhouette Cameo, and I know the SilverBullet can do much better, we just haven't cracked the code yet!

We have checked the blade height and blade carriage height multiples times, and have gone through every lesson in the learning center. Help us!
partyatyourdoor

Cutter: Silver Bullet 24in

Re: Cardstock Tearing During Cutting

Postby Gigi » April 1st, 2016, 9:38 pm

65# cardstock should cut at around 60-70 depending on brand, color etc. Your force is really high and you certainly don't need two passes on 65#. Did you check your blade to be sure it isn't nicked? (use a magnifying glass).

This has been talked about a lot. Fonts are not created to be cut - they can be glitchy. You may need to reduce the nodes. Some fonts cut MUCH better than others. You don't mention the speed you are using either. A faster speed often does a better job - it just depends but I was amazed when I finally (took me over a year) to go from 100 - 800!)

Since you are cutting so small, are you using the 45 degree detail blade? Which blade are you using? (should have started with that).

Pictures would help - sometimes we can see something that doesn't come across as well when describing it. I would definitely check the blade
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby partyatyourdoor » April 2nd, 2016, 6:37 pm

GIgi, It seemed like it was cutting with a dull blade, but I just couldn't believe that was it because it was brand new, straight from my SB starter pack. Well, I swapped it out for a fresh blade, and it is cutting AMAZINGLY well. I switched to a 65 degree, and went down to 50 force and 600 velocity, and it was cutting perfectly with just one cut.

So my next question... I'm getting phantom cuts because my mat is already warped. Am I doing something wrong to warp my mat so quickly? I've had it less than a week, and probably done 20-30 cuts on it total.

I've read the tip on ironing and putting a book on it, so I'm going to give that a try, but am hoping there is a trick to keep it from warping in the first place!
partyatyourdoor

Cutter: Silver Bullet 24in

Postby Gigi » April 2nd, 2016, 9:08 pm

I don't think I have ever heard of a mat warping so fast. You should be turning it or moving it so your pinch wheels do not run over the same spot all of the time.

As far as the blade goes, because your card stock was tearing, I am more inclined to think the blade was nicked not dull. It is not unusual for a new user to nick the blade by hitting the mat or any number of reasons. Regardless, I am glad you are up and running now.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Return to Silver Bullet Professional Series