Phantom cuts all over my final pieces! Updated!

Phantom cuts all over my final pieces! Updated!

Postby suemcnenly » February 7th, 2016, 6:01 pm

Hi there. This problem that I am having started about a month ago and it's getting worse, affecting more pieces in my work. I am cutting out large sheets of circles. I keep getting phantom cuts that go either right through my paper, or about 3/4 through. They are straight lines. At first I thought that maybe my mat was a bit wobbly, so it was simply the blade being too close to the paper, and cutting it in its travels, but that is not the case. No matter how flat the mat, I keep getting them, and they are identical in many places over my pieces. The through cuts are as clean as my intended cuts, leading me to believe that the machine thinks there is a tool path there. I've attached pics.

Here are some important points:
1. I have just installed a fresh copy of SCAL4, but this problem started when I had SCAL 3 so I don't believe it is related to that.
2. I have done a factory reset of my machine.
3. The number of circles on my sheet (see image showing full sheet) that are affected is growing each time I cut.
4. I have used this exact same project file at least 50 times over the past year. This problem only started a month or two ago.
5. I have created new test files just to see if there was perhaps a problem with my old file and the same thing is happening.
6. When the cuts first started appearing, they seemed to go 3/4 through the paper. Now they go clean through more often than not.
7. I have used various blades.
8. Oddly, the cuts seem to keep happening in similar regions of my design, but not in similar areas on my mat, as I am rotating my mats and using different ones.

I look forward to getting help with this. As is the case with many of you, this machine is vital to my business. I have been making do with recutting the affected pieces, and even then still 1/2 of them are affected again. I simply can't go on like this.

Thanks!

Sue

Ok...lots of exclamation points. As I mentioned above, my mats were flat...or so I thought. I just ironed my mats (see my method in the Tips and Tricks section) and I just got perfect cuts with no phantoms! They sure looked flat to me before I ironed, but I guess I was just used to them having a slight wobble. Anyway, ironed flat as a board and all good. Thanks for listening:)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by suemcnenly on February 10th, 2016, 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
suemcnenly

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Re: Phantom cuts all over my final pieces!

Postby MeFlick » February 8th, 2016, 4:29 pm

Hi Sue. I am sure this is quite frustrating for you and I wish I had the "magic" answer for you. However I have to confess that I have not see this particular type issue in the past. Which version of SCAL 4 are you using? I have version 3 and 4 but not the pro version and would be happy to test cut some files with my machine to see if I get the same issue from the files. It might help you figure out if its possibly the machine or the software. Have you reached out to Brandon at SCAL to see if he can find anything that might be causing the issue? I suggest contact him since you indicate that it has occurred recently with files that previously worked and that it doesn't seem to be a mat issue since it doesn't occur in same spot on the mats and you rotate and use different mats. My suggestion is that we need to try and narrow down whether or not we think it more likely a problem with the software, the file, or the machine. Brandon may be the best person to help troubleshoot that. If you don't know how to reach out to him, let us know and we can see if someone can put you in touch with him directly.
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Cutter: 18"Silver Bullet & More

Postby suemcnenly » February 9th, 2016, 9:01 am

Thanks meflick! Actually, I'm going to take a small break....isn't it funny that we think sometimes that the machine will forget its problems if we do that:). I will then contact Brandon and go from there. I am using the newest version of 4, not pro. Weirdly, last night when I was cutting, I had to keep turning the machine off, and doing a factory reset, each time I wanted to cut. I would cut, the computer would say it was sending to cutter, but the machine was not listening. When I turned off and on, and reset, then it worked....but only once or twice, then I had to do it again. Arggggg. But.......I do love this darned machine:)

If I can't get things working properly, I will for sure send you a file just to see.

Have a great day.

Sue
suemcnenly

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby MeFlick » February 9th, 2016, 10:01 am

Hey Sue. I understand needing to take a break. I know you like the machine and it helps you create some awesome things with it. Love your little hidden containers! You might email Sherri directly and let her know your issues - perhaps the motherboard or something is "going" on it - she would better know on that I would think. If you check now - while you are on break - she may be able to get you some information or a part if she thinks it might be needed then you might be ready to go again once your break is over.

I am happy to test any files for you at any time. Just send me a pm from here on the forum and I can email you (or actually, I think you already have my email address when we communicated about metal clay). You have a great day and break too!
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Cutter: 18"Silver Bullet & More

Return to Silver Bullet Professional Series