Creased/deformed mat and issues arising from that...

Creased/deformed mat and issues arising from that...

Postby jtrindade » November 19th, 2015, 1:01 pm

Hi there!!

I'm really new to the forum since I've only had my SB for two/three weeks... I have an issue with my new cutting mat... It seems like the rollers are doing two things that seem unexpected/wrong:
1. They are lifting the stickiness from the mat whenever there is no cutting material under them (making the mat non-sticky along the lines they hold the mat from), and...
2. They seem to be deforming the mat so that it isn't really completely flat any more (after only three weeks of use) and so the blade sort of drags and scratches the surface in some areas, and doesn't completely cut in others...

Is this caused by something I am doing wrong? I was in the understanding that these mats lasted a long, long time... Also, is there a way to re-flatten the mat?

Thanks everyone!! :)
jtrindade

Cutter: prospective buyer

Re: Creased/deformed mat and issues arising from that...

Postby janrichards » November 20th, 2015, 9:31 am

In answer to your questions: Yes that is normal. Unless you are cutting something heavy you really only need to have two rollers down while cutting, the tricky part is determining which two will work best for the size paper you are using. Not only are they removing the stickiness it is being deposited on the rollers which will lead to other problems. Try to vary the way you use the mat, turn it upside down and use it in the other direction. If you need to flatten the mat lay it on a non-porous surface upside down (or put paper under it) and warm it with an iron (or heat gun) and after warmed set something heavy on it while it is cooling. The mats do last a long time but it depends on how much use they get also. If you are using your machine a lot I highly recommend that you get another mat and switch off between the two, that will help limit your frustration and allow you to cut more items in less time because one can be ready to go into the machine as soon as you take the other one out (like cookie sheets). Hope this answers your questions.
Jan
janrichards

Cutter: 15" Lynx

Postby MeFlick » November 20th, 2015, 11:29 am

If you will do a search on the forum, you will find other prior conversations regarding similar issues. Jan already gave excellent advise although I think she meant rotate the mat around versus turn upside down. Some people also use painter's tape where the wheels roll over non-covered portions of the mat to prevent the wheels from getting the sticky on them. There are also discussions on cleaning your wheels (make sure it is okay to use on rubber), cleaning your mats, etc. let us know if you. End help finding those discussions. Also, don't forget to check the Learning Center for great help and information on the use of your cutter, mats, blades, etc.
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Cutter: 18"Silver Bullet & More

Postby PennyDuncan » November 20th, 2015, 11:30 am

You actually only want the rollers going down the outer edges of the mat......this will help in keeping the mat flat......many of us will take painters tape and run down the edges of the mat to prevent the sticky from the mat transferring to the rollers.....rotating the mat periodically will also aid in keep the mat from rolling on you....the reason the blade is scratching the mat is some areas is due to the warping of the mat....you can take the matt and lay it outside in the direct sun face down to help it to soften and then flatten back out......
Have a Blessed Day...Penny Duncan
http://pennyscreativearthaven.blogspot.com
PennyDuncan

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby jtrindade » November 23rd, 2015, 10:14 am

Hi everyone! Thank you so much for all your replies! I'm in my learning curve here, so all you said is very valuable! :) I seem to have dulled TWO blades and I think it is probably due to the warping of the mat... :( Oh, dear... For the time being, I will follow your advice and let you know how it develops... THANKS AGAIN!!
jtrindade

Cutter: prospective buyer

Postby MeFlick » November 23rd, 2015, 10:31 am

It's not uncommon for new users to dull blades quickly until they get used to the machine and setting blade depth ,pressure, etc. That is why it is usually recommended to get extra blades when first getting a machine. Scratching the mat, setting blade depth too deep, and pressure too high will all dull blades quickly. The good news is that as you learn the machine, you will go through blades less frequently (depending of course on the medium being cut, some naturally will dull blades faster then others.)
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Cutter: 18"Silver Bullet & More

Return to Silver Bullet Professional Series