$2,600 inc tools/materials, still not produced a thing

$2,600 inc tools/materials, still not produced a thing

Postby Ravenmad » September 25th, 2015, 6:58 pm

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Earlier this year...I asked for assistance with engraving mirrors...though there was some help, thankyou...no-one told me that one is to engrave the image, in reverse, on the back...thanks Jo, for the samples you successfully did.

Bought new engraving tool and Perspex mirror...can do fill with any lame shape from library but I want to engrave parts of my specific images filled, which I have orders for, but it won't be added to the fill...it either wants to 'save before closing' or when clicking on 'Intersection', it closes the whole SCAL program.

Am so over trying to get this thing to work
Ravenmad

Cutter: Silver Bullet Pro

Re: $2,600 inc tools/materials, still not produced a thing

Postby Ravenmad » September 25th, 2015, 11:04 pm

Tell a lie...I produced 20 mirrors that I took to the dump, due to the machine scratching them.

:banghead:
Ravenmad

Cutter: Silver Bullet Pro

Postby Gigi » September 26th, 2015, 12:16 am

It sounds like you may have had your engraving blade too low if it is scratching the surface. That is usually the reason for that.

I actually didn't know to engrave mirror on the back, but I do know engraving mirror and glass is really hard on the engraving tool - the diamond tip - so a lot of us used the mirrored plastic which is an entirely different look So see - you just taught me something :)

You may not have received a lot of feedback because we may not have a lot of people who read the forum and engrave mirrors. I know that we have 3300+ people on the forum but a much smaller number of people who are active on here. I am sorry you didn't feel successful.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby Thyme » September 26th, 2015, 1:33 am

Whether to engrave the front or back of a mirror depends totally on the look that you want.
Engraving the front will give a frosted effect, engraving the back will give a clear effect.
Thyme

Postby Barbara » September 26th, 2015, 3:51 am

Tree.jpg
Cat.jpg

Here are two I have done. Sorry for the fingermarks. Jo is out till later tonight. I will contact her in the morning.
It really isn't hard. I am a Senior and I can do it. I think it takes a little bit of patience. Jo is doing some lessons in Melbourne later in October if you can get there.
Barbara

Forgot to add the frame for the sisters is A4 and the other one a fracion smaller
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Barbara

Postby Gigi » September 26th, 2015, 9:14 am

Barbara -

Those are JUST beautiful. Thanks for sharing.......

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Stephen Musial » January 9th, 2016, 9:19 pm

A little late to the party but I'll post in case anyone is interested in the future.

I had to recreate some etched mirrors for an old sideboard I was restoring for a client. I drew everything in AutoCAD and then converted it to work in SCAL. Then I cut a vinyl mask and put it on the mirror. To do the actual etching, I used a Paashe Air Eraser which is basically just a mini sandblaster. It works like a charm and you have full control of depth of etching, contrast, etc.

Hope this helps someone in the future.
Stephen Musial

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet

Postby Gigi » January 10th, 2016, 2:02 am

Thank you Stephen for sharing some of your processes and clever results just one more testament to the power of practice, trial and error, and perseverance. Congratulations

Gigi
Gigi

Return to Silver Bullet Professional Series