Mat Spitting Out Before Cut

Mat Spitting Out Before Cut

Postby braden » August 22nd, 2015, 11:55 am

Using SCAL with the 24" mat. Brand new to all of this so getting a hard time getting it to work properly.

If anybody has other tips for cutting a vinyl material into stencils I would greatly appreciate them.

(my activation key for the paid version of SCAL isn't working either if anybody has experience with this).
braden

Cutter: Silver Bullet 24"

Re: Mat Spitting Out Before Cut

Postby Gigi » August 22nd, 2015, 12:19 pm

If your mat is spitting out, refer to the FAQ in the learning center for reasons that happens. It is a common new user error. You can also search for it on the forum as it has been discussed many times. It is usually where you are setting your origin, but explained in more depth in the learning center.

I highly recommend that you thoroughly go through the learning center since you just received access to it, and get to know your machine first. It will save a lot of frustration on your end. :) We all understand the desire to just get started, but the more you understand how things translate from the virtual mat in the software to the real mat, the easier it will be. And you don't say if you are trying to learn WYSIWYG or origin. Most of us find origin cutting much easier, unless you are writing and cutting or doing multiple things where you need the image to stay on one spot. Again - all explained in the learning center.

I promise you will have an easier time if you go through the learning center and take the time now to understand the machine. Cutting vinyl is one of the easiest materials to cut. You can find dozens of conversations on here about it.

As for the activation code, are you typing the code in or doing a copy and paste. Usually the latter works better than typing it in fresh. If you continue to have issues, contact Sherri at ThatsScrap@aol.com or Sherri@silverbulletcutter.com.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby braden » August 22nd, 2015, 12:28 pm

Thanks Gigi.

I have went through the learning center but am still quite lost.

Making progress though. I am trying to cut multiple designs at once, right through the vinyl material (and backing), with a clean cut and a cut around each design so they can be peeled individually.

I understand this will take some practice but can't find any step-by-step guides from putting in your mat, placing / tracing your designs, changing your settings on SCAL etc.

Im coming from a Silhouette machine, which was extremely user friendly so expected it to be a bit easier. Hopefully I can get it working today!
braden

Postby Gigi » August 22nd, 2015, 12:53 pm

Honestly - you cannot get through the learning center in a day. And I know Sherri tells everyone that there is a learning curve. Sometimes coming from another machine is actually harder because you are used to doing things one way and have to "relearn" with this machine. But it will all make sense and come together in time. You are trying to accomplish a lot early on. I really suggest practicing successfully cutting simple shapes first on scraps cardstock - get used to where things will cut and how and keep track of your pressures used (you can log it right into the software) and also keep a notebook of settings and blades used. As much as I cut, I still refer to my notebook when I use a material that I don't often cut. After a while you can almost second guess the force you need and be pretty accurate.

Most people, when cutting vinyl, don't want to cut through the backing, but want to just cut the top layer and then weed it and remove the design with transfer tape. There is a clear path for how to place your mat in the silver bullet manual - http://learn.silverbulletcutters.com/si ... ullet-mat/. That is pretty hard to miss :)
And as I said, trouble shooting the mat spitting out is also explained in the FAQ.

There is a whole section about SCAL in the software section of the learning center. The videos shown are using SCAL 3, but we are in the process of updating to SCAL 4 which is much easier. You don't need to trace a design unless you are doing a print and cut, but that is again addressed in the software section. And there are also tutorials on here under the webinar section that explains all of the things you are having issues with. And those are using SCAL 4. I suggest you review those as well.

If you can take pressure off yourself to "get it working today" (it is working - you are just learning to understand it) and instead make a commitment to work through the process a step at a time, I think you will feel much less frustrated and have better results in the long run.

I think you will find the webinars. Here is an introduction to SCAL viewtopic.php?f=54&t=5717 And there are others that take you through the basics of the machine. Again, take the time to learn and you will be successful in no time.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby braden » August 22nd, 2015, 2:11 pm

Thanks for the help and advice Gigi!

I'm making more and more progress each cut :)
braden

Postby Gigi » August 22nd, 2015, 2:48 pm

You are welcome. Progress is a good thing.

Gigi
Gigi

Return to Silver Bullet Professional Series