Silver Bullet 24" stops during cutting

Re: Silver Bullet 24" stops during cutting

Postby theelrubio » July 28th, 2015, 4:22 am

Has this issue ever been resolved?
My Silver bullet stops so often and it drives me CRAZY! It stops halfway through so completely wastes my good paper.
It is not an issue about going too far on the left, as it also stop in the middle. And it is not a problem about the computer going to sleep (which also does happen), as I am aware of that, so keep the computer active.

This is such a crucial design fault with the Silver Bullets, I stopped using mine for about a year as it was safer to do it by hand, longer, but at least I know my work won't be ruined!

I would be so very grateful for any suggestions or advice.. I might just sell my machine otherwise!
Thanks!
theelrubio

Cutter: silver bullet

Postby MeFlick » July 28th, 2015, 8:10 am

Welcome to the forum. I see you just joined the forum today and this is your first post so it doesn't look like you have sought help here before with your cutter. I assume you have perused the forum here for additional help and information from older threads? It's unfortunate you have had your machine for over a year and haven't been using it because it wasn't working correctly for you. I would encourage any user, especially a new one to these machines, to seek help when first starting out rather than getting frustrated and putting it away and not using it. If there is a fault with the specific machine - you want to know that and get it corrected while still under warranty.

I would suggest that you contact the seller from whom you purchased the machine and seek help in troubleshooting your issue with your cutter if, as you say, its not too far left or computer going to sleep. This is not normal behavior for the cutters. I have used a variety of cutters and been on cutter forums for years (including this one) and typically the only time we see this problem is for the two that you have listed and deny being a problem in your instance. That being too far to the left or the computer going to sleep. Sometimes the file themselves might be faulty so someone could check out the file for you perhaps. This cannot be a "design fault" with the SBs because everyone would be having issues with it if it were I would believe and that is simply not the case. There are too many happy SB owners who regularly use their machines for this to be the case. Most people find their issue is in fact being too far to the left with their mats or their computer going to sleep. If that is not the case with your machine, then I would suggest that there may be a fault with your specific machine that may need to be addressed with the seller of it.

If you are having trouble with the cutter working correctly, it would be difficult to sell to someone else until that issue is resolved so it is important to see if its a fault with your machine. Good luck.
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Cutter: 18"Silver Bullet & More

Postby Gigi » July 28th, 2015, 10:21 am

I totally agree with Melanie's answer and then some.

First of all, you don't say what you are trying to cut, if you are using a MAC or a PC - minimal information. Secondly, this is NOT a design flaw with the machine. We have resolved every issue when this has occured and most often it was a problem with MAC and Yosemite and a patch was developed for that. Sometimes it was a file problem. The only other issue would be a faulty motherboard IF other issues have been ruled out. Have you had anyone else try your file? That would help eliminate that possible issue. You say you are keeping the computer active, but if you are using a MAC and have not disabled AppNap, that is a problem. You should check your settings so it doesn't go to sleep, not just "keep it active" as that will not override all apps running...

The fact that you have waited a year is too bad as your machine is now out of warranty since you purchased in 2013. If it IS a motherboard, it would have been covered if you had dealt with it at the appropriate time are still in warranty. But there are still a lot of things we don't know about what you are trying to do. It could be your file(s). But at this point, the issue is clearly something you need to resolve with your dealer, Jo.

Have you contacted her? That is where you should have started a year ago as she does support her customers and she could have resolved this for you instead of having you wait and then have your first post be one that is angry and accusatory without giving anyone a real chance to help you.

I will notify Jo that you are having issues and leave it up to the two of you to work through it. There is always a way to resolve a problem. But you have made it more difficult because you gave up and didn't reach out for assistance in a timely manner. There is nothing else we can do to help you here at this point. I am posting this with the support of Sherri, the US distributor of the machine and owner of this forum.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby Anisa » July 31st, 2017, 9:36 am

Hi,
I am having this same problem. I am using a PC and it is a repeating work. In the first one the machine worked without any problem. Now, out of the blue, it stops, shows PAUSE in the LCD screen and the only way of making it work again, is by switching off the machine and restart the work.
Can you please help me?
Anisa

Cutter: 24" Professional Series

Postby Gigi » July 31st, 2017, 3:10 pm

More information would be helpful, but the most common reason for a machine to go into PAUSE is because you are cutting outside the range of your machine. Be sure that your nodes are not extending beyond the 24" of the interior of the machine. Measure it from the inside right of your machine - that is your cutting area. Be sure that your design is not going outside of that area and be sure you do not have any stray nodes. If you want to upload your design so we can check it - that's fine. But be sure you are cutting within range.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby lizalooks » August 2nd, 2017, 8:47 am

Hi, I purchased my 24" silver bullet just last week from a friend who bought it new a year ago and never got the hang of it and went back to her cameo. I have had a 24" cougar for 5 yrs and love it. The silver bullet however is giving me issues.
I am cutting from MTC, not SCAL ( I don't have that software) and using a file I have been cutting for several weeks on the cougar. My cut stops mid way through with the message "communication error" in exactly the same spot each time. I have cut larger files with no issues. The cut is in the middle of the page, not on the far right or left... help please.
lizalooks

Cutter: Black Cat Cougar 24"

Postby Gigi » August 2nd, 2017, 10:18 am

First of all, are you sure it is one of our machines as the parts are not the same in the knock off machines out there. So be sure you have an authorized machine. Have you done a machine reset? I would start there. It could well be the motherboard, but would like you to try cutting other files first to see if it happens on any others - just to rule out the file.

I know you said the machine is stopping in the middle, but is your mat all the way over to the right? Also be sure that you don't have any errant nodes - it is easy to accidentally add a node. The fact that it is a communication error, not a pause error, makes me think it's the motherboard, but would still like you to try other files first.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby lizalooks » August 2nd, 2017, 1:28 pm

I have successfully cut several other files on this silver bullet, and yes, I'm sure it is a silver bullet.
I'm not sure what the position of my mat has to do with anything, it is far right, not hitting the stops as it has already cut far left and right of the design before it stops in the middle. I disconnected the bullet, reconnected the cougar, sent the exact same file to cut with no issues from the same computer using the same cables.
Last edited by lizalooks on August 2nd, 2017, 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lizalooks

Postby lizalooks » August 2nd, 2017, 1:30 pm

I will try a machine reset this evening and report back.
lizalooks

Postby Gigi » August 2nd, 2017, 1:46 pm

Ok great. And good to know that the file cut fine from the Cougar - that rules out some things.

Have you successfully cut other files on this machine SINCE the problem occurred - that would be good information to have. But let's see what happens after you do a machine reset. That is always the first thing to try when there are issues......

And I realize you have a Silver Bullet, but is it "our" Silver Bullet? There is a difference and suggestions being made may not be helpful if it is not.

Fingers are crossed that a machine reset works.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby lizalooks » August 2nd, 2017, 2:10 pm

purchased directly from that's scrap originally
lizalooks

Postby Gigi » August 2nd, 2017, 3:15 pm

OK - thanks. Will wait for you to let me know on the rest.

At least we know if a new motherboard is needed, that we have the correct part for you. It's rare, but it happens....

Will wait for your update on the machine reset.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby MeFlick » August 2nd, 2017, 3:38 pm

Couple of followup questions - first and maybe most important - have you had your friend contact Sherri to transfer ownership of the machine to your name "for the record". I know they have the record for your cougar, but the Learning Centers are different for the two different cutters and you will need to have that switched over to your name in order to get access to the SB learning Center should you need it. (At least that is what I had to do when I gave my sister my BC Cougar and switched to the SB.) Gigi can verify if that is correct, but I believe it is.

Second question - what computer system are you using with your cutter? Is it a Mac or a PC? If it is a Mac, make sure your nap app is turned off. Also, I vaguely recall there can be a "throttle issue" when using MTC on a Mac so if its a Mac, we may want to look at that too. (I would have to look back through info. to see what I can find/recall regarding that so I would like to rule out other things before I go that far as it will take some time on my part.)

Finally, you mentioned you had cut larger files - did you mean previously on the Cougar or on this cutter since you got it? You also said you had used the "same cables" to cut the file to the Cougar after having issues with the SB. Are these the original cables you were using with the Cougar or did you switch to the newer cables for the SB (they should have come with cables?) The reason I ask that question is that when I switched out machines - I originally didn't switch out cables and one or both of us had issues but when I switched them out and gave her the older cables and I used the newer cables, the issue went away. (Can't recall if it was one or both of us that encountered an issue with that.) If you didn't switch out the cables and are using the older Cougar cables, you might want to switch those out and try that.

You also stated "I'm not sure what the position of my mat has to do with anything, it is far right, . . . " - I just wanted to answer/explain that - it is a common support questions always asked when someone says they were cutting and it pauses or stops in the middle of the cut because more often then not, they have put the mat too far over to the left in the machine and went out of cutting range. You answered that your's is to the far right so now we know this is not the problem. Another common support question that may seem "dumb" to many is when someone says, my XXXX (cutter, computer, etc.) will not turn on - first thing support usually will ask is "is it plugged in" - because you would be surprised how often that is in fact the problem. These simple questions are not meant to imply anyone is dumb, or doesn't know what they are doing - they are just basic beginner questions meant to verify that those items have indeed not been the issue. When trying to help someone with an issue, you always start with the basic, simple questions/problems to rule them out before moving on to other items - even when someone has been using cutters for a long time.

Finally, just a quick note to say that I regularly use my SB with MTC without issue so it should work just fine. I have run it from my Mac but not usually because I have a PC in my workroom that stays attached to my cutter. However, if you have a Mac, I can bring mine in to the room if we need to help troubleshoot if that is an issue. Usually though, the main problems I have seen when something like this happens with a Mac is the Nap App and/or the throttle issue as I recall. I am happy to help you troubleshoot as needed as there are not a lot of people here using MTC with this line of cutters. Just let me know if you need my help to test a file, etc.
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Postby lizalooks » August 2nd, 2017, 7:53 pm

OK.. UPDATE I did the factory reset and used the newer cables, cut the file that was having issues yesterday twice completely, no issue at all. Watched as the info paused in transfer "waiting on " cutter to catch up and continue on cutting without a hitch. Cued up the next file, started cutting, only to have it stop when nearly finished with a "communication/IO overlap" error. Did another factory reset and sent it again...same results.

I'm running a PC used solely for cutting. I design on another PC in MTC and send the files to the cutting PC via teamviewer. Windows 7 operating system. Cutting with MTC running KNK zing driver. (because when I got the second laptop to cut from, I didn't have the cougar driver handy to install) Power settings are set to never sleep and it is plugged in so that it does not go to sleep unless I close the lid.
lizalooks

Postby MeFlick » August 2nd, 2017, 9:32 pm

lizalooks wrote: . . . Cutting with MTC running KNK zing driver. (because when I got the second laptop to cut from, I didn't have the cougar driver handy to install) . . .

Thanks for update and answering my questions. I do think the cables may have been part of the problem but clearly not all of it.

Another quick question on the above statement. There are several KNK cutters with plugins in MTC. You state that you are using the Zing cutter plugin/driver. Are you in fact using the "Zing" as the cutter plugin under the use KNK cutter selection? If so, the Zing is the wrong choice and while I don't know if this would cause the issue you are seeing - but suspect it might - you don't want to use the Zing one, you need to use the one that says the KNK Maxx ( not the Maxx Air, just the Maxx.) There are differences between the KNK cutters (which is why there are different plugins/drivers to choose from within that cutter selection.) The Maxx is the one that is closest to the Cougars and SBs and is the one suggested by MTC as the best one to use to cut to the Cougar and SB. It is the one I have always used and works as good as the Cougar plugin did. The difference between the two plugins is that the KNK one was written later and some enhancements and extra choices like "knife point" mode was added to it but never added to the Cougar plugin. You also noted however that when you got the second laptop, you didn't have the Cougar driver handy (I assume you meant the plugin for MTC) - just wanted to note that all plugins for cutters are easily available to download from the MTC home page same as the KNK ones, or that it could be copied from your other computer where you did have it.)

On another side note and as an FYI in case you don't know, if you use the cutter for "print and cuts," and haven't calibrated the cutter yet for that, just be aware that the X/Y numbers are "flipped" - so if you use the Cougar plugin, it's one way and the opposite if you use the KNK Maxx plugin. Which means whichever is positive and negative in one, it's the opposite in the other.

Let me know if it was the Zing choice you were using and if so, how you get on by using the Maxx selection instead.
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Postby Gigi » August 3rd, 2017, 12:15 am

Thanks Melanie for jumping in. Since I don't use MTC I would have been at a total loss for helping beyond suggesting the KNK Maxx plug in - so thanks for all of the additional information. I hope it helps.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby lizalooks » August 3rd, 2017, 8:09 am

I'll have to double check the plug in on the KNK version. Thanks for the info on print n cut, I have only used that feature once. I am using "cut from cougar" in the settings in MTC.
lizalooks

Postby MeFlick » August 3rd, 2017, 8:31 am

lizalooks wrote:I'll have to double check the plug in on the KNK version. Thanks for the info on print n cut, I have only used that feature once. I am using "cut from cougar" in the settings in MTC.

OK - you are giving some confusing information (well confusing to me at least ;) ). You said you didn't have the cougar driver previously, and said you were using the KNK Zing driver so I assumed you meant the cutter plugin. Then, just now, you said you are using the "cut from cougar" setting in MTC. That is what I was referring to - the cut with selection - there are different "plugins" to use based on the cutter being used. This is what I was referring to - you would want to use the "KNK Maxx" plugin selection there (which means downloading the KNK plugin from MTC's website if you haven't already.) With the SB, you should be able to use either the "cut with" Cougar or the "cut with KNK Maxx" selections if you have downloaded and installed both plugins.

If you meant the actual software driver for the cutter (like the printer drivers required to be on your computer) and not the actual cutter plugin- you wouldn't want the KNK Zing driver or the KNK Maxx driver or even the Cougar driver in order to communicate with the SB - you would need the SB driver its self installed if you are cutting to the SB. Again, those are going to be different based on the cutter its self since they are all a little different. You need to use the correct driver designed for each of the machines same as the cutter plugin. The driver is different from the "plugin". You would need to get the driver separate from MTC and the plugin. You need the SB "driver" installed on your computer for all the software programs to communicate and interface with the SB correctly. So, if you still have the Cougar and have added the SB, you would need to have two separate drivers installed, the Cougar driver and the SB driver but you would not want any of the KNK drivers if you don't have a KNK cutter to interface with your computer. (If you do have a KNK Zing though you would also have the Zing driver installed but it would not properly interface with either the Cougar or the SB.)

So again, let's be sure we are talking about the same thing. If you mean software driver (like the printer drivers) - get the SB driver installed properly on your computer. You definitely need the SB driver to properly interface with your computer and cutter and that is independent of any cutting software program. If you don't know where/how to get that - perhaps Gigi can remind us as I don't recall this moment off the top of my head and I am about to head out shortly. Once you have that taken care of, then you can try again to cut. If you don't want to "waste" material - take your blade holder out and send the file to cut and it will run through the motions of cutting without actually cutting anything. This way you can see if you get the error again. Since it took a couple of times before after you changed out to the SB cables - do it several times until you are comfortable that it is okay and then try again with material as desired. Then let us know if it worked ok now or not. You can use either the "cut with Cougar" or the "cut with KNK Maxx" plugin selections when you go to cut if you have them both installed. If it works then great. If not, then we will have to see what else might be an issue. We'll keep trying to help get you sorted, but we need to be talking the same "language" so we are understanding each other first. So let's make sure we are talking apples and apples not apples and pears.
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Postby Gigi » August 3rd, 2017, 9:44 am

Count me confused as well!

I was going to suggest, just to rule out machine issues, that you download the trial version of SCAL as it has drivers specifically designed for the Silver Bullet. Because it is a trial version it will slash through the design, so either cut without the blade, at a low force, or use the pen tool which I prefer so I can actually see what is happening and try the file(s) there. If you are getting clean and complete cuts (other than the slash!), then we can rule out the machine and focus on the software issue, which I believe it to be, especially after Melanie's post this morning. Be sure you are using the appropriate driver in MTC as it seems that could be the one thing we can all point to that doesn't make sense.

Again, I am not suggesting that you buy another software program, but trying SCAL would be a good way to see if the issue lies with the machine of the software that you are using.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby lizalooks » August 3rd, 2017, 10:41 am

I am using the MTC plug in for the cougar and the driver ( which is what I said) is the KNK driver ( cougar running beautifully for 2 years now this way) as I didn't have the cougar driver available when I set up the laptop to cut from. I would LOVE to run the SB driver if someone would point me in the direction to get it. I can't get into the SB Learning center.

Sherri, I bought the SB from June Pumphrey who bought it from you.
lizalooks

PreviousNext

Return to Silver Bullet Professional Series