Silver Bullet 24" stops during cutting

Silver Bullet 24" stops during cutting

Postby paskedesign » February 19th, 2015, 3:22 pm

I bought my machine last October. It has taken me a few months to get familiar with the machine working on 8.5" x 11" size media of different thicknesses trying to find one that would work with what I intended to use the machine for.

Once I found the correct media for my use, and felt comfortable with the machine and the software (SCAL), I began to try cutting out jobs at full size.

The jobs I will be using it for range in size form 13" to 21" wide by 19" to 30" long.

The SVG files range from 5000 points (nodes) to upwards of 15000+ points (nodes) out of Adobe Illustrator

I have be successful cutting a few jobs, but I am running into the following problem:

I am cutting on a 24" x 48" Commercial Mat.

If I try to multi-cut these jobs the machine will reach a certain point and stop cutting with the blade in the down position, the LCD display reads "CUTTING" for a short time with the blade stopped and then the LCD display changes back to "ONLINE", the software (SCAL) continues to send the job to the cutter until it finishes and then the software notifies me that the job has finished processing, but the cutter never restarts to finish the job, I have to turn the machine off and the blade lifts up and what I have cut is now worthless and I need to start over from the beginning.

The job I was running today has 15000+ points or nodes to it and is 21" x 23", I was cutting it with only a single pass since I have found the right pressure and speed for the machine to do a good job without having to do multiple passes, the job got about 3/5 of the way through and the blade stopped, it nudged once a few seconds after stopping, but then never again continued cutting the job, although the software continued to spool the data to the cutter until it was finished. This has happened to me almost a dozen times now.

My question is this, is there a limit to the number of points or nodes that this machine is capable of processing?

Can I assign more memory to it?

I am within the machines parameters and I am not butting up against the sides, so I am confused why this continues to happen.

If someone could help me by giving me an answer as to why it is stopping or a alternative solution to processing my jobs, it would be most appreciated?

Thank you.
paskedesign

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet Professional

Re: Silver Bullet 24" stops during cutting

Postby PennyDuncan » February 19th, 2015, 6:21 pm

paskedesign the first thought that comes to mind is perhaps if it's stopping on the left side of the machine and you may have went past the cutting width of the machine....you may need to place your mat further over to the right went loading into the machine...and if that's already over that far then you may need to position your medium a bit more over the right on the mat.
Have a Blessed Day...Penny Duncan
http://pennyscreativearthaven.blogspot.com
PennyDuncan

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby Gigi » February 19th, 2015, 6:57 pm

paskedesign
Two quick questions before I say more....

Are you using a MAC or PC?

Are you sending your file straight from Illustrator to SCAL through the plugin, or are you saving as an svg and then importing into SCAL.

I don't think you are out of range because the machine usually goes into pause mode and nothing happens. Not saying it isnt a possibility , but will see what your answers are to the other questions first! Thanks.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby paskedesign » February 20th, 2015, 8:15 am

I am working on the latest 27" Retina Display iMac with OS X Yosemite version 10.10.2 and I have the latest version of SCAL version 4.015.

I am saving my Illustrator files as SVG files and then importing them into SCAL.

The point where the machine stops to the left is less far to the left then previous cuts it has already made in the current job.

I am including a picture with the point where the machine stopped circled in RED. You can see where the machine made previous cuts further left than the stopping point.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
paskedesign

Postby Thyme » February 20th, 2015, 10:28 am

Make sure that App Nap is not enabled for Scal
Thyme

Postby Gigi » February 20th, 2015, 10:44 am

I forget about App Nap -thanks Dawn. I also sent him a patch that worked for someone else with a similar problem. Will keep you posted. Hoping this is resolved!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby paskedesign » February 20th, 2015, 11:15 am

I had previously checked "Prevent App Nap" in the Get Info screen for Sure Cuts.
paskedesign

Postby Gigi » February 20th, 2015, 11:17 am

OK good. Fingers crossed on the patch........:)

Gigi
Gigi

Postby pscustoms » March 23rd, 2015, 2:05 pm

I am having this same problem. Certain programs that require multi-cut go into pause on their own and never resume. No matter how many times I try the job or scale it down to only that last element I have to cut, it pauses at the same spot every time. I am on a PC - may I try the patch as well Gigi?
pscustoms

Cutter: Silver Bullet 24"

Postby Gigi » March 23rd, 2015, 3:37 pm

The patch deals primarily with Mac and Yosemite - I believe. Will PM the link.

Are you sure you are not going out of range of the cutter? Just asking the simple questions....
And be sure you don't have too much running in the background. We have tested files where others have had problems and do not have problems on this end. So it is perplexing......

Gigi
Gigi

Postby LovePBandJ » July 10th, 2015, 9:30 am

Running Yosemite OSX 10.10.2. I have tried a project that was brought into SCAL. It stops halfway through, in about the same spot. It is a series of fonts (word art) and is approximately 11x11 inches. It is alarming when it stops, though, not like a pause or simply stopping. It makes a loud jittering sound, almost as if it is hung up on something, and then goes back to its origin. I was thinking that the project has too many nodes, so I was attempting to rebuild the project within SCAL. Meanwhile, the software appears to process the file normally.

Is it possible to have too many nodes?

App Nap?
LovePBandJ

Cutter: SB Pro 24"

Postby Gigi » July 10th, 2015, 9:49 am

Have you disabled App Nap? What version of SCAL are you running?

As far as nodes, I asked that question some time ago and was told theoretically no! When we do engraving, there are tens of thousands of nodes and the machine keeps running - it may take time, but it keeps going.

Have you cut other projects successfully?? You are a relatively new user so just curious if you have cut a lot and been fine up to this point. Just trying to trouble shoot the simple things :) Usually when the cutter stops in the middle of cutting it is because it is out of range, but it will go into pause mode and not return to origin. You should not have a problem cutting an 11x11 word art piece....

If you have App Nap running it could be that interfering with the memory and causing it to quit cutting as well.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby LovePBandJ » July 10th, 2015, 11:05 am

I am a relatively new user. I have cut many weights of paper for six or seven projects. I have successfully experimented with cutting metal and am now conquering vinyl and stencil plastic. So, I am new, but have overcome a few questions and challenges along the way. I have attempted, during my learning phase to cut outside of the cutters margins. So, I am familiar with the silent "pause." This is entirely different. Plus, it happened in roughly the same spot. There was a letter difference between the "stuttering" points.

I do not know what app nap is.

I believe I have the current version of SCAL. I just purchased the machine and software a few months ago.
LovePBandJ

Postby Gigi » July 10th, 2015, 12:03 pm

I dont have a MAC, but App Nap runs in the background of the MAC and can put programs to sleep (if I understand it properly) and has interfered with more than one cutting project........

If you do a search on here there are several conversations about disabling App Nap in Mavericks, (here is one viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5269&p=90692&hilit=App+Nap#p90692
but here is the link that explains how to disable it in Yosemite https://www.ihash.eu/2014/12/disable-ap ... -yosemite/ Hope that helps...

Also, to see if you are running the lastest version of SCAL, you can have the software notify you when there are updates, or you can click on the Help tab in the software and then scroll down and click on Check for Updates....

Gigi
Gigi

Postby LovePBandJ » July 10th, 2015, 4:36 pm

I have SCAL version 4.024. I am running Yosemite 10.10.2 on my MacBook Pro.

Thank you for the links! I went to my terminal and disabled my App Nap. Recreated my project directly into SCAL (instead of bringing it in from another program). I even put my computer on "never" as my energy saving option. I tried it again, and the same thing happened. At about 5.5" to 6" into the 11x11 project and the exact same thing happened, again. The blade stuttered across my project, and returned to the point of origin. Frustrating!
LovePBandJ

Postby LovePBandJ » July 10th, 2015, 5:31 pm

So far I have
Disabled App Nap
Restored my SB to factory settings
"babysat" SCAL during the cutting process
Recreated the art directly in SCAL

SCAL version 4.024
Yosemite 10.10.2
MacBook Pro

Despite all of these efforts, I am experiencing exactly the same problem. At about 5.5" to 6" into the 11x11 project the blade loudly stuttered across my project, and returned to the point of origin. HELP! I don't even know what to call what the SB is doing, as a result, my searches aren't returning much useful data.
LovePBandJ

Postby Gigi » July 10th, 2015, 5:47 pm

Can you upload your file or PM it to me? Would like to see it.

Also the lastest version of SCAL is 4.028. I would recommend upgrading just in case there is something that was fixed in the upgrade......

Gigi
Gigi

Postby LovePBandJ » July 10th, 2015, 9:02 pm

Am trying to delete this from the public forum ...
This first one was made in another program and saved Then it was brought into SCAL by "tracing."

The second one was recreated using type in SCAL.

They both stopped in about the same places.

I hope I have uploaded these properly. I have never done this before.

Thanks for your help! Jill
Last edited by LovePBandJ on July 10th, 2015, 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LovePBandJ

Postby LovePBandJ » July 10th, 2015, 9:03 pm

oh wait, are these public?! Let me go back and figure out a private message ...
LovePBandJ

Postby Gigi » July 10th, 2015, 9:35 pm

LOLOL Jill!! I now understand why you asked that! :) Just sent you a message - no worries.

Gigi
Gigi

Next

Return to Silver Bullet Professional Series