How to solve Deviation/Accuracy issue?

How to solve Deviation/Accuracy issue?

Postby cacaomatos » December 19th, 2014, 9:03 am

Hi,

I'm having trouble when cutting files bigger than A4 size.
I usually need to cut multiple (equal) objects in medias bigger than A2 using the 20''x46'' mat.

What happens is that there is a big deviation between the first object on top and the last one on the bottom. Which I have been trying to solve by dividing the file in multiple cuts smaller than A4 to lower the deviation issue. However it's been complicated because it's raising a lot the work time and the deviation is still noticeable even on small (A4 size) files.

I'm using Silver Bullet Pro 24'' with SCAL 3. This happens with any material, force, speed, blade used.
I have already tried to calibrate the laser a couple of times and it doesn't show any difference.
I'm using photoshop to print the media with registration marks and the cutting lines and then I auto-trace the image to export to SCAL.

Attach there is some pictures of the issue.

20141219_135250.jpg

20141219_135218.jpg

20141219_135323 copy.jpg

Thanks in advance
Simone
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cacaomatos

Cutter: Silver Bullet Professional 24''

Re: How to solve Deviation/Accuracy issue?

Postby Angel135612 » December 19th, 2014, 9:11 am

It looks to me like you haven't calibrated your cutter for Print and Cut yet. That needs to be done in order to get accurate cutting around your printed image. There are instructions on how to calibrate in the Learning Center. Once you do that, it should take care of your issues.
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby cacaomatos » December 19th, 2014, 9:53 am

Hi, I have tried a couple of times calibrating as shown on learning center but it doesn't lower the deviation problem.
Another thing I've noticed is that the head (blade) moves too fast from one registration mark to another. Since this movement is too abrupt, wouldn't that affect the accuracy?
cacaomatos

Cutter: Silver Bullet Professional 24''

Postby Gigi » December 19th, 2014, 10:48 am

The cutter head does move fast from one registration mark to another but that is just when you are setting up your print and cut. Are you then moving the laser to the center of each mark after it moves? As long as you are doing that and hitting the origin button on the screen each time, you will get an accurate cut - perfectly accurate. I agree with Diane - I think you are possibly missing a step in calibrating.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby Angel135612 » December 19th, 2014, 2:37 pm

You need to get your calibration spot on, before you will get accurate cuts using Print and Cut. If you only "tried a couple of times", that sounds to me like you perhaps did NOT take your time setting up the calibration to be spot on, so that you get accurate cuts.
SCAL allows you to move the laser in such tiny increments to get the laser dead center in your registration marks that if you take the time to line them up your cuts should be spot on any time you try PnC after that. But you need to take the time to get the calibration right, AND take the time to line up the laser with the registration marks when doing the cut. If you don't do those steps accurately, you will never get accurate PnC results.

I know when I first tried to calibrate my cutter for PnC, it took me over 10 tries (maybe more I stopped counting) to get it as accurate as I wanted and would be happy with, so only "trying a couple of times" you may want to work on that some more.

I don't think the speed of the head moving from one spot to the next would make a difference, unless your mat isn't held in place by the pinch wheels (not using at least 2 of them) or unless your paper was not securely adhered to the mat.

Also when working on your calibration use just standard printer paper, not your "good" stuff until you get it just right.
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Return to Silver Bullet Professional Series