Thinking about purchasing

Thinking about purchasing

Postby llurgy » October 15th, 2014, 1:23 pm

I am in the process of comparing machines with a future purchase in mind......
One thing that I would REALLY LIKE is the capability for wireless/bluetooth connection to the computer running the software. Are there any plans to include this capability in the near future?
llurgy

Cutter: Prospective Buyer

Re: Thinking about purchasing

Postby PennyDuncan » October 15th, 2014, 1:42 pm

You would want to direct this question to the owner of the SB Cutter and the owner of this Forum....Sherri....you can email her directly here..... ThatsScrap@aol.com Good luck with your research and making the decision which is best for you!!!!
Have a Blessed Day...Penny Duncan
http://pennyscreativearthaven.blogspot.com
PennyDuncan

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby pigtailpat » October 15th, 2014, 8:29 pm

re-think the bluetooth thing. First, bluetooth connections are notoriously unreliable. I can say that with a tremendous amount of experience with bluetooth in general. They break, need to be repaired, renewed etc. I can just see a pairing breaking in the middle of a cut, and ruining media. Second, in some cases, the item being sent to be cut can be a large file or little file. Sending a large file over bluetooth is not going to be a pleasant experience, trust me on this.

If you want a "disconnected" experience with a plotter (i.e. not connected to any computer), then in that event, what you want is usb reading ability of a file, from a USB stick inserted in any cutting machine. Whether the SB offers USB stand alone reading of files is something I do not know. I do know that this was an option on the cougars, but you had to inform Sherri/Dawn you wanted it. I elected not to have the usb connection thing, as I saw that as a bother at the time. Note that I think for the stand alone USB to work, I think you had to use signcut (which I got). I can't remember exactly what it was that could be done this way on the cougars. Dawn will probably jump in and elaborate on what I am thinking. In any event, I have no idea if this is on the SB or not, as that is a next gen product up from my cougar. I think in almost all situations with a plotter having USB standalone functionality, the ability to standalone read files will be limited to that plotter's native computer program generated files. Having the plotter directly connected to a computer is probably best, because it gives the user the most amount of flexibility in terms of which programs can be used to create and cut a file. I love the flexibility of different programs, so for me the best way is direct connection to the computer. Agreed, it can be a pain in the butt sometimes, as my plotter is the 18" and is taking alot of space. Someday I will get a long USB cord and figure out a different way to use the machine with my computer in a more space efficient way.

Pat
New owner of an 18" cougar and the gazelle...still a newbie at the cougar and will soon explore it............
pigtailpat

Postby Thyme » October 16th, 2014, 12:22 am

We don't offer the USB standalone on the Silver Bullet, we were not happy with the quality of the cuts produced in that way and so removed it as an option.
Thyme

Postby llurgy » October 20th, 2014, 9:14 pm

Thank you everyone for your replies, they are very welcome.

I asked Sherri and she has no plans to put bluetooth on until it works flawlessly, which from the sounds of it doesnt feel like anytime soon.

Never thought of an extra long USB lead, if it is indeed possible.....hmmmmm.....
llurgy

Cutter: Prospective Buyer

Postby Thyme » October 21st, 2014, 12:18 am

There is a cable called an active repeater usb extension, you can use one of these. Or if you use the keyspan cable that will also give you a longer length
Thyme

Postby Suzan » October 22nd, 2014, 10:24 am

I have a very long usb cable running mine, the longest you can buy. And I have no problems at all.
Suzan
Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart!

http://www.simplycustomforyou.com
Suzan

Cutter: 13" Cougar 15" Silver Bullet

Postby Gigi » October 22nd, 2014, 8:40 pm

Not sure mine is as long as Suzan's :), but I have a long one as well and it runs flawlessly!
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby Suzan » October 23rd, 2014, 12:28 pm

I think the longest usb cable you can get is about 15 feet. I can measure when I get home.
Suzan
Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart!

http://www.simplycustomforyou.com
Suzan

Cutter: 13" Cougar 15" Silver Bullet

Postby PennyDuncan » October 23rd, 2014, 5:56 pm

I've actually used a very long USb cord and then an equally as long extension usb cord to hook up my Silver Bullet before and it caused no issues at all....
Have a Blessed Day...Penny Duncan
http://pennyscreativearthaven.blogspot.com
PennyDuncan

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby ssrdw » November 2nd, 2016, 7:52 am

Can someone direct me/post a link to the type of extra long usb cable you are using. There are so many different types and I don't know what the end that plugs into the SB is called! I would like to get one that is at least 10' long.
Thanks!
ssrdw

Cutter: Silver Bullet 24"

Postby Gigi » November 2nd, 2016, 4:05 pm

You can buy an extra long usb cable or an extension cable. I used a 20' extension cable in my previous home and it worked perfectly. I have it on a 3-4' cable here now with no issues. I order my cables from Amazon most of the time, because it is easy! I get the ones with the gold tipped metal as they seem to hold up better for me.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby ssrdw » November 3rd, 2016, 10:10 am

Thanks Gigi!!!! Will be ordering today.
ssrdw

Cutter: Silver Bullet 24"

Postby Gigi » November 3rd, 2016, 11:17 am