Cutter Driver will not install

Cutter Driver will not install

Postby ChrisR40 » July 18th, 2014, 10:50 am

I received my silver bullet yesterday and after three to four hours of trying to get the driver to install on windows 7 I was able to. I was able to do a few cuts last night from SCAL. I started this morning in SCAL and when I tried to cut, it said the cutter was not connected and the computer does not recognize the usb device. I'm not sure what I did to get the driver to install but I have tried to repeat the things I did to get it to work with no success.

Any help would be great. I need to get this up and going and talking with SCAL.
ChrisR40

Cutter: SB-24

Re: Cutter Driver will not install

Postby Gigi » July 18th, 2014, 7:39 pm

Be sure you have the correct com port selected so the computer can communicate with the cutter.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby MeFlick » July 18th, 2014, 7:48 pm

Congratulations on your new cutter. As Gigi noted, make sure you have the correct com port selected. Sometimes it can change on the computer for some unbeknown reason! If your driver was finally installed, it should still be there. Windows 7 has issues with blocking drivers and not telling you that it didn't install. BUT if you got it working last night, the driver should be there still.
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Cutter: 18"Silver Bullet & More

Postby Gigi » July 18th, 2014, 10:13 pm

Thanks Melanie for confirming what I was thinking.

I just reread the post and figured I would throw out the obvious that I am sure you have tried - but have you double checked all of your connections? If you go into device manager do you see the com port listed. Please review all of the steps in the learning center just to be sure some little thing wasn't missed.

But.... if you were cutting last night, it makes me wonder if something slipped and is no longer firmly connected . Not sure what else it could be at the moment.....Please feel free to share any more info that might help us problem solve.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby ChrisR40 » July 18th, 2014, 10:33 pm

I can not select a com port because the devise is not being recognized by the computer. I have uninstalled the driver for the unknown device and reinstalled the driver from the link just below the video with the cutter disconnected from the computer. When I plug the usb cable into the port I still get the "USB Device not recognized" from windows. I have done a factory reset on the cutter and have done a clean restart with no success. I have also tried a different laptop using Windows 8.1 with no success.

I'm at the point to where I think there might be something wrong with the cutter hardware not allowing it to talk with the computer.

One other thing is that with the power turned off to the cutter and the usb plugged in I still get the "USB Device not recognized". Last night the driver was able to load up when I had the cutter on and after I turned it off and still the usb cable connected is when it loaded the drive to communicate to each other. I have to tried to repeat this with no success. Just tried again for the last time tonight and I'm still getting the "USB Device not recognized".
ChrisR40

Postby Gigi » July 18th, 2014, 11:24 pm

Ok - let's start over. if you have the wrong com port selected, your computer will not be able to recognize the cutter. But will come back to that in a minute.

I was trying to read how you did it. You need to install the driver with the machine DISCONNECTED - it sounds like the machine was connected via usb when you downloaded the driver which could mean you didnt get a good download of the driver. Be sure you follow the steps as listed.

When you go to device manager as the directions advise, so you see the serial port # under ports (see my photo below). I am running windows 8 but the device manager should look the same. Do you see that?

Will stop there until I see where you are with that...... just going to take it a few steps at a time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby LisaH » July 19th, 2014, 6:54 am

Also, and I'm assuming you are using SCAL here...open SCAL and on the help tab, select download and install driver from there. Sometimes this will correct the issue, and then continue with Gigi's instructions.
LisaH

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby ChrisR40 » July 19th, 2014, 7:20 am

I have installed the driver with the cutter disconnected and I have also installed the driver from SCAL with no luck. Will try one more time this morning.
ChrisR40

Postby LisaH » July 19th, 2014, 8:06 am

If you have another USB cable that you can try, see if that may be the issue. Trying to think of different things...
LisaH

Postby ChrisR40 » July 19th, 2014, 11:10 pm

Had no luck this morning, tried again tonight with a different usb cable and downloaded the driver from the usb drive that was sent with the machine. I am still having the same problem. I even tried to do a driver repair from SCAL and install the driver again; still the same problem.

I watched the video on my tablet and followed step by step and did everything on the video and still "USB devise not recognized". As of now I have an expensive paper weight on my desk.
ChrisR40

Postby Gigi » July 19th, 2014, 11:37 pm

We will get it figured out. Did you download the driver from the learning center too in case the one on the usb drive was corrupted? Just grasping at straws right now.

When you open up device manager, do you see a serial port listed under Ports? Is anything installed? Just trying to narrow it down.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby LisaH » July 20th, 2014, 6:43 am

You said you are using Windows 7, correct? If so, I know there is a thread on the forum somewhere that deals with an issue concerning downloads and windows 7 - something about it preventing it but it says it's downloaded correctly. This isn't just with the bullet / driver / SCAL - it's across the board. It blocks parts of download because it "thinks" it's a virus. Mine did the same thing. Let me do some searching and see what I can find.
LisaH

Postby LisaH » July 20th, 2014, 6:52 am

Found it! The last part of this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5175&start=20&hilit=Windows+7+download#p89848

Hopefully this will help.
LisaH

Postby ChrisR40 » July 20th, 2014, 9:38 am

I did download the driver from the learning center and from the usb flash drive manual. I also installed the driver from SCAL as well. Still getting the "USB devise not recognized".

I opened up the devise manager and under ports I only have virtual ports and not the cutter, the cutter is under USB and is listed as unknown usb devise. I did a driver update from the devise manager and it states that the correct driver is installed on the computer.

I also followed the link that Lisa H listed and did the steps with no success.

I have also installed the driver, SCAL, and tried the things listed above on a different computer that is running Windows 8.1 and I'm still getting "USB devise not recognized".
ChrisR40

Postby LisaH » July 20th, 2014, 9:52 am

I have 2 questions - please bear with me, trying to get you going, promise!

1 - is the USB a direct connection or through a hub?

2 - Just for giggles, have you tried the other cable that came with the cutter? The one that uses the serial port or can it connect to your PC? I know one of my old ones had that connection and another didn't. Sometimes this works better than the USB. I kept getting the "device not found" on one of mine and was able to use the serial cable and it worked fantastically, but never could use the USB on that particular computer.

You can email me directly if you would like. Just make sure you put in the subject line - forum help so I won't think it's junk mail. ;)
LisaH

Postby ChrisR40 » July 20th, 2014, 10:59 am

The USB is direct and not through a hub. I don't have a serial port on my laptop but was going to get a usb to serial today and try that.

Thanks for the help.
ChrisR40

Postby LisaH » July 20th, 2014, 11:48 am

Let us know if that works. I hope it does!
LisaH

Postby Gigi » July 20th, 2014, 12:00 pm

I do too - thanks Lisa. It does make me wonder if it wouldnt install to Windows 8.1 either as most of us, as far as I know, have had no problem with that. eager to see if the serial port to usb works....

Gigi
Gigi

Postby ChrisR40 » July 21st, 2014, 5:28 pm

ok, some good news in a way.

I bought a USB to serial cable and I was able to select the port and adjust the settings as well as install the driver on both OS systems. The only thing I'm running into now is that I think I need a faster data transfer USB to Serial cable. I'm able to set everything up and when I go to do a "test" cut, SCAL sends it to the cutter but nothing happens. By test I mean a simple circle, not the test done on the cutter when offline.

Getting closer to having this figured out.
ChrisR40

Postby LisaH » July 21st, 2014, 6:19 pm

Make sure the cutter menu / display reads "online" and also check your Us & BR on the PC & the SB.

Here it is in the Learning Center, about center page, on how to check and what #'s you should have:
http://learn.silverbulletcutters.com/sc ... nstall-pc/
LisaH

Next

Return to Silver Bullet Professional Series