Print & Cut w/ Multi Use Over Sized Mat

Print & Cut w/ Multi Use Over Sized Mat

Postby RedPunchDesign » June 29th, 2013, 12:06 am

Hi there,

Will the Multi Use Over Sized cutting mat, which is 27.75 x 30", be able to work with multiple registration marks?

Essentially I want to print two sheets of paper, each with the same design and registration marks, put them both on the cutting mat and only have to "find" the registration marks once. It would be sweet if I could have the three registration marks span over both pages.

Is there a way to cut multiple copies of a print without finding the registration marks over and over again? Would I have to position the paper in the exact same spot? Is there a way to tell SCAL to repeat a cut that it just did?

Why isn't there an embossing mat in the same size?

Thanks you guys!
RedPunchDesign

Cutter: Silver Bullet 24"

Re: Print & Cut w/ Multi Use Over Sized Mat

Postby Ann Harper » June 29th, 2013, 6:50 am

You could cut a hole the size of your paper from a larger sheet, e.g. A5 hole in A4 paper. Put your printed paper in this space, then after cutting replace the first sheet with the second. You must not remove the mat, just take the cutter offline and use the arrow buttons to get it into a good position for the swap, then back online to position it as it was before. Next, go offline again and press repeat.

Ann
Ann Harper

Cutter: 15" Cougar

Postby Tyler » June 29th, 2013, 9:08 am

It sounds like what you are trying to do is what Ann is saying, however you would not be using print and cut (and hence no reason for registration marks). It is the method that was used before print and cut was available. It works okay, but you will not have the spot on accuracy that can be achieved using the registration marks each time.

If you are using true print and cut, you can have as many images cut out as you want as long as they are on one sheet, but not multiple sheets if that makes sense. Human error in lining everything up would likely not give consistent results.
Tyler

Cutter: Silver Bullet 13"

Postby Ann Harper » June 29th, 2013, 7:02 pm

I meant to use this method along with print and cut. The printed paper should have the registration marks on it and be placed in the hole of the larger sheet. The first time, you have to go through the sequence of finding the registration marks and cutting.
With SCAL, when the repeat button is pressed the machine will replay the sequence of finding the registration marks then do the cut. Provided things are in exactly the same position the cut should be just as good the second time round.

Sorry I wasn't clear in the first post.

Ann
Ann Harper

Cutter: 15" Cougar

Postby RedPunchDesign » June 29th, 2013, 8:03 pm

Doh! I just wrote a response that took awhile to write, and I guess I was logged out after so long and it got erased! :(
BUT Ann answered some questions I had in the time it took me to respond, so I don't have retype that part :)

I guess I'm wondering if it would be worth buying this mat. If it's "Multi-Use", do you know if it can be used for embossing?
The majority of what I do with the silver bullet is print and cut on 13x19 paper.
If I have two sheets on the mat and each must read their own registration marks, I'll just be going back and forth resetting the origin point anyway.

Do either of you know if I can do print, emboss and cut? I have an inkjet printer, so I'm wondering if the ink would get rubbed off with embossing? I'd like to do stuff that looks like letterpress.

Thanks for all the insight you guys!
RedPunchDesign

Cutter: Silver Bullet 24"

Return to Silver Bullet Professional Series