Loading the Cutting Mat

Loading the Cutting Mat

Postby DBY » June 22nd, 2013, 7:03 pm

ALright. I am a bit frustrated and I am sure the answer is simple, but it isn't coming to me. On the 24" Silver Bullet, does the mat not get inserted with the longest side first? If is didn't what is the point of the 24" cutter??

I noticed in the videos they are using the smaller machine so it doesn't really help.
DBY

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet...YEAH!!

Re: Loading the Cutting Mat

Postby kim » June 22nd, 2013, 7:15 pm

I sometimes load my mat with the long side parallel with the cutter and sometimes I load my mat with the small side inserted into the cutter. Most of my cuts are of a smaller nature so I just insert the small side in and the rollers will fit on the outside edges of the mat.....helps with not making the ridges in the cutting area of the mat and to keep the rollers off my paper.

The biggest plus on the 24" is being able to load 24" wide vinyl. But there are other advantages like not having to be so careful where you load your mat and cutting wide designs in both the length and width (like cutting a 19" x 19" design.
Mommy to a Silver Bullet 24" , a Black Cat Cougar 24" AND a Foil Master!
kim

Cutter: SB 24" and BC 24"

Postby DBY » June 22nd, 2013, 7:27 pm

I had one semi-successful cut. I had two designs on the mat in my software. Only one cut. Now I can't get the mat to stay in the machine. The machine is offline, load the mat, move the blade to where I'd like it, touch the origins button and back online. Then I go into the software to cut and it spits the mat back out at me.

What I am doing wrong this time?
DBY

Postby DBY » June 22nd, 2013, 7:38 pm

Also, the machine not only spits the mat out, it continues to cut on the cutting strip. I realized there was a learning curve, but I think I may have to send this machine back. I don't really have time for it. Ugh and I need a faster machine.
DBY

Postby kim » June 22nd, 2013, 7:52 pm

did you set the origin? You must go offline and set the laser to either the edge of the media (if using WYSIWYG) or the edge of the design (Knift Point). Otherwise it will spit your mat out. You have to tell the machine where the edge is.

As for speed, did you up your speed (velocity)? As far as I know, you are not going to find a faster machine out there.
kim

Postby Angel135612 » June 22nd, 2013, 8:45 pm

I always insert my mat with the longest side going into the machine, but it can be inserted in either direction.

How are you trying to cut? WYSIWYG or Origin Point? That makes a difference on how you load the mat and where the machine is going to cut. If you are setting the origin with the machine, and it is spitting out, it sounds like you are trying to cut WYSIWYG, try changing that to origin, and it should not spit the mat out at you, as long as you have enough room for the design to fit on your media

This machine cuts fast, so you should be able to up your speed. Most of the time my design is cut out before I'm ready for it to be finished... as I usually try to do other things while it is cutting.
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby Gigi » June 22nd, 2013, 8:55 pm

As others have said, there is a learning curve and once you are comfortable with all of the steps I have no doubt you will be thrilled. Be sure you are setting your speed on the machine and not in the software as it is more reliable that way. Also be sure you are setting your origin at the lower right front of the mat as you are facing the machine so you have the maximum cutting area. Keep us posted on how you are progressing.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby DBY » June 22nd, 2013, 9:42 pm

Thank you for the replies gals. I have stepped away from the machine and will try again tomorrow.

I had my software set to WYSIWYG, so I don't have to use the Origins button when it is on this setting?

If I am using WYSIWYG, I can go offline to load the mat, and go back online and click cut in the software??

Sorry about the hissy fit in my previous post.
DBY

Postby Gigi » June 22nd, 2013, 10:08 pm

Yes you still have to use the origin button as the machine has to know where to begin to cut. So if you are using WYSIWYG, you need to be sure that your file is placed appropriately on the mat in the software so it will duplicate properly on the cutting mat. I only use WYSIWYG if I am doing writing or double cutting (scoring and then cutting an image.

This is one of the reasons we highly recommend using the testing pen so you can become comfortable knowing where your machine will cut no matter which option you are using. I think with most things you will have an easier time with origin cutting.

You can go offline with either option of cutting, but you still need to hit the origin button to give the machine a place to start. And you can stay online and load your mat by lifting the pinch wheels, putting your mat in place, and then lowering the pinch wheels. That is much easier on your mat as well.

Try the testing pen and see if that helps you understand where things will cut.

And no apology necessary - we have all had our frustrations!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby DBY » June 22nd, 2013, 10:18 pm

I saw in the video or the Library or somewhere about using the test pen, but I can't find a tutorial or step by step on how to use it.

I am confident that tomorrow will be a better day.

I have a Silhouette cameo and I am familier with where your image is on the mat is where it will cut, that is why I chose the WYSIWYG option.

Do you have a suggestion where I can find a place to show me how to use the pen tool?
DBY

Postby Gigi » June 22nd, 2013, 11:04 pm

It's right here in the Learning Center:
http://learn.silverbulletcutters.com/ac ... /pen-tool/
You basically use it as you would a blade, but change the SCAL software from blade to pen as it shows in the instructions

Then you can play with both settings and see which makes more sense to you. And I had forgotten you had a Silhouette and are familiar with the basic concept of cutting machines. I apologize.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby kim » June 23rd, 2013, 10:09 am

you will need to wrap the test pen with tape to make it thick enough for the blade holder to hold it securely. A couple of layers should be sufficient.
kim

Postby DBY » June 23rd, 2013, 12:09 pm

Please, no apology Gigi!! I appreciate all the help. I am off to try again. Wish me luck!!
DBY

Postby DBY » June 23rd, 2013, 12:15 pm

One quick question. When I set the software to origin, it changes where my media will cut on the cutting mat, should I place my media where the software tells me too?
DBY

Postby DBY » June 23rd, 2013, 12:24 pm

I feel better. I was able to successfully cut two items (fast, :):) ) but my designs are cutting slightly off of the top of the mat. Any suggestion for that??
DBY

Postby PennyDuncan » June 23rd, 2013, 12:57 pm

NO....when you see it change it's just letting you know it's going to cut exactly where you have your blade set.......
Have a Blessed Day...Penny Duncan
http://pennyscreativearthaven.blogspot.com
PennyDuncan

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby Angel135612 » June 23rd, 2013, 1:14 pm

If you are cutting off the top of your mat, it sounds like you aren't setting the origin properly. If using Origin cutting, place the tip of your blade to where it is in the lower right corner of your media. Make sure that it is located within the paper, not right at the edge of the paper, and hit the Origin button on the machine, and that should solve the problem of cutting off the top of your mat.
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby DBY » June 23rd, 2013, 1:24 pm

OK. I was setting the blade at the bottom right corner of the mat. I need to set it to the bottom right corner of the media? Hmm. OK. Thanks.
DBY

Postby Gigi » June 23rd, 2013, 1:29 pm

Yes - the bottom right hand corner of whatever you are cutting so it knows where to cut. And be sure your design on the virtual mat is within the boundaries of that mat or it will miss cutting the area off the mat. Been there done that!!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby DBY » June 23rd, 2013, 1:44 pm

Great. Thank you. I appreciate all of the help and feedback. With what you mentioned overnight, I was able to cut three things already today, two off the mat, one successful. Thank you, I feel a ton better about my machine.

Enjoy your Sunday!! I am sure I will be back with more questions.
DBY

Next

Return to Silver Bullet Professional Series