Setting Time Delay on Silver Bullet

Setting Time Delay on Silver Bullet

Postby nikaylaking » June 22nd, 2013, 1:36 pm

I just received my new Silver Bullet yesterday......haven't actually cut anything just yet. I wanted to go through all the settings etc. I wanted to adjust the time delay to zero seconds as they recommend in the tutorial. I have gone to this in the menu but the seconds only want to increase, not decrease from the default setting of 5 seconds. If anyone know how I can adjust down that would be great!
nikaylaking

Cutter: SB1800

Re: Setting Time Delay on Silver Bullet

Postby Gigi » June 22nd, 2013, 2:54 pm

I have no clue - I just tried. Mine has always been set to 5 and I have no problems whatsoever. Would be curious to hear from others!
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby Thyme » June 22nd, 2013, 4:22 pm

The default is 0secs, but it is written as 0S and looks like 05
Thyme

Postby nikaylaking » June 22nd, 2013, 5:23 pm

I looked at it after I posted the question and thought " I wonder if it says 0S not 05.....thanks so much for confirming...much appreciated. Now onto the setting the Velocity:)
nikaylaking

Postby nikaylaking » June 22nd, 2013, 5:45 pm

Okay I am almost ready to cut something but am really not clear on the velocity & force settings. I read all the info on the learning center and watched all the tutorials. Is there a guide line somewher for ranges for these settings. Right now I am only cutting paper....medium and maybe a thicker card stock 100lb(no chip board).
nikaylaking

Postby Gigi » June 22nd, 2013, 6:12 pm

Here is one of the many postings of the cutting guide. Remember it is just a guide.
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4217&p=79817&hilit=Silver+Bullet+Professional+Cutter+Cutting+Guide#p79817
Use the test cut as you learn - it will become your BEST friend. I keep a notebook of different media as I cut them so it's easy to set the machine again, and most of the time I can get pretty close just by feeling it. It just comes with practice. And it depends on the humidity, texture of paper etc but this should help. I cut just about everything at 700 unless it is thick material.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby LisaH » June 22nd, 2013, 6:24 pm

The guide is a really good starting point, but just like Gigi said - keep notes and your settings will vary slightly. I too, have learned to "feel" the paper and can usually set it pretty close to the right force for cutting - it just comes with practice. ;) I, on the other hand, am a speed demon! Mine is rarely (mostly never) set below 800 on the velocity! LOL just take your time and make sure you use the setting tool to set your blade above the media...this make a huge difference in getting good cuts.
LisaH

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby nikaylaking » June 22nd, 2013, 9:17 pm

Well probably not the best start tonight as I think I may have ruined my 60 degree blade. It seemed to be cutting well but I was having some trouble figuring out the cutting mat alignment in the machine settings. The cutting blade went off the paper onto the sticky part of the mat a couple of times. I then hit the wrong button and the mat came out of place while the blade was cutting on the hard white strip that you align you cutting mat with. After that no matter what force setting I chose or increased blade depth it wouldn't cut through my medium weight paper card stock. I though full disclosure was best here on the forum, however embarrassing! I put the 45 degree blade in and it appeared to be cutting all the way through. I think I may just hang it up for tonight as I am feeling like a total klutz....any advice would be so appreciated.
nikaylaking

Postby Gigi » June 22nd, 2013, 10:11 pm

I just put this in another post, but to save your blades AND your mat, please use the testing pen until you are used to where things will cut. It saves wear and tear on the blades, the mat, and your sanity!! Trust me, I learned the hard way on my first machine MANY years ago......!!!

You can check your 60 degree blade and see if there is a nick in it by holding it up to a magnifying glass. I use my 45 degree blade for almost everything - love it!

This all takes time to learn - go easy on yourself and start with drawing simple shapes. You will get it!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby nikaylaking » June 22nd, 2013, 11:17 pm

Thank you so much for your help....I am not sure what the testing pen is though?
nikaylaking

Postby Angel135612 » June 22nd, 2013, 11:45 pm

There should have been a black holder, and pen that came with the machine. You will need to wrap some tape around the holder to get it to fit, but that is the testing pen. I agree with Gigi, it is best to start out using the pen until you get more comfortable with the machine.

I know we all are anxious to get to cutting when we get a new machine, but it is so worth the time and effort to put into playing and testing and getting to know the machine before you try cutting.
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby nikaylaking » June 23rd, 2013, 12:16 am

I found the black holder and pen looking refill but it doesn't fit in the black holder. There is a spring with it as well. Unless I am missing something really obvious, I can't figure it out. There is a notch on the pen refill and it won't go completely into the black plastic holder. I have a feeling you will all get to know me very well over the next little while!
nikaylaking

Postby nikaylaking » June 23rd, 2013, 12:23 am

Another question before I call it a night..what is the proper way to apply your 12 x 12 paper to the cutting mat....far right, left or does it matter? The main problem I had with my new machine tonight was getting the alignment correct with the what I saw on the scal program. I tried a few different was with the WYSIWYG and also the origin. I set the spot X & Y values on the silver bullet too. Any tips on the cutting mat placement would be so welcome. I just want to get to the fun stuff....like cutting great designs. Not having any fun yet!
nikaylaking

Postby Angel135612 » June 23rd, 2013, 7:36 am

It has been awhile since I used the test pen, and I went to look for mine, and couldn't find it. So hopefully someone will be along soon to tell you how it works. I know I remember having to wrap tape around the holder to get it to fit in the machine, but I don't remember how to get the pen to fit in the holder.

As far as where to put the paper on your mat, you can put it any where you like. If you are going to use WYSIWYG, I suggest you create a virtual mat in SCAL the same size as the mat you are using, so that what you see on your computer will be what you get when you cut. With WYSIWYG, you place the blade tip at the lower right corner of the mat, and it should cut things out the way you see them on your computer screen.
With Origin Point you place the blade tip at the lower right corner of your media, and it will cut the design from that point to the left and above.
I have to say that I had the hardest time getting WYSIWYG to cut where I thought it should be cutting, and when I learned how Origin Point works, I stopped trying to figure out WYSIWYG and use Origin Point almost exclusively. Like Gigi said in another post, the only time I use WYSIWYG is if I need to use the pen tool to write something or want to score something then cut and things need to be lined up exactly. I have the 24 inch SB and I just put my paper anywhere on the mat, and set my origin at the lower right corner of the paper and cut away.

I promise if you take the time to get comfortable with how the machine and software work together, you will be having all kinds of fun with it. It took me months ( only because I didn't have a lot of time to spend with it when I first got it) before I was having fun. But now I know I can get my design in the software, turn on my machine and have something cut almost perfectly the first time. What used to take me hours to get just right now happens more quickly. It took awhile for my AH HA moment when things started to click and I knew what I needed to do to get the results I wanted. We have all had to go through what you are going through. Some of us got to our Ah Ha moment faster than others, but we all got there.
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby PennyDuncan » June 23rd, 2013, 9:25 am

For the pen tool.....the spring will slide on the bottom part of the notch....it will seem to long but then when you place the pen barrel with that spring into the holder....(you have to unscrew the cap from the holder)....however I'm sure you already figured that out...LOL then insert the end of the pen barrel through the hole in the cap and screw the cap on you'll feel a bit of resistance on the cap against the holder base....that allows the pen to function properly.....does that make sense???? LOL

In regards to WYSIWYG in SCAL.....the BEST and EASIEST way to get used to is....is rather then making your virtual mat in SCAL the same size as your actual mat you're using....make the virtual mat in SCAL the same size as your PAPER......ie...if you're using an 8 1/2x11 piece of paper....make your virtual mat an 8 1/2x11 even if you're use a large large mat......then set you orientation of the blade tip in the very bottom right corner of the piece of paper......Is that as clear as mud??????
Have a Blessed Day...Penny Duncan
http://pennyscreativearthaven.blogspot.com
PennyDuncan

Postby kim » June 23rd, 2013, 10:14 am

Okay, I'm confused. Are we talking pen TOOL or TEST pen? FOr the TEST PEN, you need to wrap tape around it to fit securly into the blade holder. I haven't used my pen tool in a while, so no clue there.
Mommy to a Silver Bullet 24" , a Black Cat Cougar 24" AND a Foil Master!
kim

Cutter: SB 24" and BC 24"

Postby nikaylaking » June 23rd, 2013, 10:53 am

Thank you Angel & Penny!

....and thank you to everyone who has so kindly taken their time to help me out with soooo many early issues. I don't think I could be getting through all these learning curves without this amazing support. I will implement all the info from these last posts today and hopefully I will be at a better starting point after that. Honestly I felt a little deflated last night but now I am ready to tackle it again today. As someone mentioned...small steps to get to the end goal. I can certainly see the machine's worth and quality. I just need to get the user(me)in sinc with all the operational stuff.
Still can't figure out how to insert the pen refill & spring into the black plastic holder that came with machine. I thought I would wait to hear from someone so I can practice on the machine today for cutting mat placement etc without using the blade. I didn't want to order a pen tool as I don't have a use for it at this point of my tender foray into die cutter. I was hoping to just use this test pen to get familiar. Cutting paper is my thing for now!
nikaylaking

Postby PennyDuncan » June 23rd, 2013, 11:11 am

nikaylaking wrote:Thank you Angel & Penny!

....and thank you to everyone who has so kindly taken their time to help me out with soooo many early issues. I don't think I could be getting through all these learning curves without this amazing support. I will implement all the info from these last posts today and hopefully I will be at a better starting point after that. Honestly I felt a little deflated last night but now I am ready to tackle it again today. As someone mentioned...small steps to get to the end goal. I can certainly see the machine's worth and quality. I just need to get the user(me)in sinc with all the operational stuff.
Still can't figure out how to insert the pen refill & spring into the black plastic holder that came with machine. I thought I would wait to hear from someone so I can practice on the machine today for cutting mat placement etc without using the blade. I didn't want to order a pen tool as I don't have a use for it at this point of my tender foray into die cutter. I was hoping to just use this test pen to get familiar. Cutting paper is my thing for now!

Not sure if you missed that part of my previous post....but thought I would post again here for you.....

For the pen tool.....the spring will slide on the bottom part of the notch....it will seem to long but then when you place the pen barrel with that spring into the holder....(you have to unscrew the cap from the holder)....however I'm sure you already figured that out...LOL then insert the end of the pen barrel through the hole in the cap and screw the cap on you'll feel a bit of resistance on the cap against the holder base....that allows the pen to function properly.....does that make sense???? LOL
PennyDuncan

Postby nikaylaking » June 23rd, 2013, 11:58 am

Thank you Penny. I think my brain cells are over loaded....got it now! I am off to practice on my new machine with a pen...much safer than the cutting blade for now. I am sure you have not heard the last of me today!
nikaylaking

Postby PennyDuncan » June 23rd, 2013, 12:58 pm

LOL....We've ALL been there.......have fun!!!!
PennyDuncan

Next

Return to Silver Bullet Professional Series