Prospective Buyer with Questions

Prospective Buyer with Questions

Postby Terrbear44 » April 10th, 2013, 6:06 pm

Hi Everyone.

I currently have a Silhouette Cameo and am very unhappy with it. I am seriously considering buying a Silver Bullet Cutter to replace it but before I do I have a few questions though. Is there a video that shows how to use print and cut with it? I have not been able to find one that goes through it step by step using this cutter. I have SCAl 3 but have never done print and cut with it. How hard is it to do? I need to be able to do design and do print and cut with shapes.

Thanks
Terri
http://www.terrbear38.blogspot.com/
Terrbear44

Cutter: prospective buyer

Re: Prospective Buyer with Questions

Postby kim » April 10th, 2013, 9:38 pm

I just calibrated my Silver Bullet today. I finally found the video on the BC Learning Center and it does a great job on explaining how to calibrate the machine and do a print and cut. I think the SB Learning Center has the video using SCAL (I was using MTC). My print and cut is spot on. LOVE IT!!!

I have a Cameo, which I still have so many problems trying to do a print and cut with because it is so picky as to the paper placement. I seem to spend forever trying to get the Cameo (again using MTC) to find the registration marks. I love the Cameo but it is very limited in the media it will cut and what it can do.

The Silver Bullet is my main machine (the Cameo is my travel machine as my SB is a 24"). I LOVE my SB!!! But be forewarned....the SB has a learning curve as do all higher end machines. The Learning Center is a FANTASTIC resource in learning how to use your SB and the forum is a great place to get help with any other issues you may be having (usually computer issues or user issues) and a great place to visit and share things. The SB is not a "plug and play" kind of machine like the Cameo but the rewards are so great if you take the time to learn the machine.
Mommy to a Silver Bullet 24" , a Black Cat Cougar 24" AND a Foil Master!
kim

Cutter: SB 24" and BC 24"

Postby Suzan » April 10th, 2013, 9:42 pm

I am sure Sherri will cut a sample for you to see if it will cut. I would contact her and ask.
Suzan
Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart!

http://www.simplycustomforyou.com
Suzan

Cutter: 13" Cougar 15" Silver Bullet

Postby PennyDuncan » April 11th, 2013, 5:10 am

VERY well said Kim........The Silver Bullet is TRULY an amazing machine....and the tutorials in the Learning Center and FANTASTIC for learning the machine especially the Print and Cut......
Have a Blessed Day...Penny Duncan
http://pennyscreativearthaven.blogspot.com
PennyDuncan

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby pigtailpat » April 11th, 2013, 5:45 am

Terri -

My personal suggestion to you is - I think you outta give the cameo a chance. The cameo is probably one of the easiest cutters to work with, it is very easy - and if you are having difficulty with the cameo - I honestly do not think trading up to the SB will magically solve your problems with plotters. I love my cougar, these machines are tremendous. It is much more common to have people trade up from the cameo because they find the cutting pressure limiting (i.e. can't cut thicker materials) - - rather than having problems with basic functions of the cutter. Because you are having basic functionality problems, I believe you need more experience before trading up. You should first be working with the basic software that comes with the cameo for print & cut. You need to master print and cut with the native software to the cameo first. Once you do that, then and only then you could migrate to outside the native software to do print & cut with the cameo. My experience with silhouette's cutter is that it really functions the best [insofar as print and cut is concerned] wholly inside its native software. I have the predecessor silhouette SD - and when I want to print & cut with it, I do not use .mtc or SCAL, I use the native software [I upgraded to the designer version to allow .svg functionality when it was on sale last year]. For regular non-pnc cutting, the silhouette performs well inside either .mtc or scal. It is only when you try to pnc - - that it really needs it own native software.

My next suggestion is to look at your printer's driver - are you printing in draft (economy) mode? If so, you need to change that setting to the best quality mode. The laser eye of the cameo functions best when the ink from the printer is delivered in best quality. Next, this cutter really needs precision when it comes to initial paper placement into the cutter [especially for pnc cutting]. On the SD (not sure about cameo), on the left hand side there are two lines in the paper path base. You sort of align the mat with that base guide [I know I am not explaining well]. On the cameo, look for those special guidelines on the base - possibly towards the left hand side. I am not sure whether or not this has changed on the cameo, if those guidelines are there, that is a tip as to how the mat and paper is to be inserted.

I know this may not be what you want to hear. But, believe me, I believe it is in your best interests to try more with the cameo. I am not sure I could have made my own transition to the cougar without the full year and half prior experience with 2 different cutters [first cricut, then gazelle]. In addition, silhouette support is pretty good, get them on the phone and have them go through everything with you. Until you have exhausted all means of support, and if it appears your printer just isn't compatible with the laser eye of the cameo (which could happen), and if you are still that unhappy with the cameo, then of course trade up. Vector cutting isn't 1.2.3... easy peasy, it doesn't come automatically and often takes experience to really get it under one's belt. Some people (like Rachellann) are just naturally talented at it, but for most of us normal ones, it takes time, patience and experience to learn.

Pat

UPDATE: I took a quickie look at the silhouette cameo video to see if I could view any tips for paper placement for pnc cutting.

If you look closely at their product video - at around 2:11 spot, you will see that the paper is aligned with the second bar [from the left] on the base of the cutter. That is a tip and give-away as to where the paper should be placed for a pnc job.

You can see the vid at: http://www.silhouetteamerica.com/?page=shop&cat=1

I hope this helps and if I totally have your situation wrong, just tell me ))::
New owner of an 18" cougar and the gazelle...still a newbie at the cougar and will soon explore it............
pigtailpat

Postby Elizabeth » April 11th, 2013, 7:20 am

Hi Terri,

Welcome to the forum! I print and cut regularly with my Cougar. The process is the same as for the Silver Bullet, which is the new and improved cutter designed by Sherri and Dawn. The process is simple once you have calibrated your machine. Calibration itself is fairly easy with SCAL, and you only have to do it once. The process is not automatic, as you have to "point" the laser at the printed registration marks using the arrow keys on your computer, but it is quick once you have done it a few times.

I ordered my first Cougar after owning a Cricut for about a month. I realized quickly that the Cricut was not right for me, and researched other cutters extensively. The reason I purchased the Cougar was all of the good buzz about Sherri at That's Scrap, and Dawn at Thyme Graphics. Their customer service is amazing, and the Cougar owners on the forums were incredibly helpful in answering any questions. I loved my first Cougar so much that I upgraded to a 24 inch Cougar last year. I will definitely be making my next cutter purchase from Sherri as well.

I was cutting within 2 hours of receiving my Cougar, and this was before the terrific "Learning Center" existed! I read everything I could get my hands on before my cutter was delivered, including the owner's manual (several times). Knowing that there was plenty of help available here on the forum gave me the confidence to jump right in and get cutting. I haven't stopped since. (It will be two years in May!) Yes, there is a learning curve, but there are lots of folks willing to help you. Rachellann is the official start up expert, and she is an incredible resource.

The reason for the learning curve that you hear about is the reason I love these machines. They are adjustable in many ways to allow us to cut a wide variety of materials. We can adjust the force and speed, as well as the blade depth in the holder, and the position of the holder in the machine. There is a variety of blade holders and blades available to accomodate different needs, as well as attachments to accomplish different effects. Even the placement of the mats is adjustable, due to the multiple pinch rollers. (depending on the size of your cutter). There are also several software options for designing and cutting.

So it does take some time to learn all of the ins and outs of the machine and its accessories, but this is what makes it fun for me. I still haven't cut everything I can cut, and I haven't had time to master all of the tools yet, but knowing that I have the capability to do it makes time in my craftroom with my cutter a fun and exciting adventure. (If I wrote shorter or fewer posts, I'd have more time to spend there! :hide: :ROFLMBO: )

I wish you luck in making your decision!
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
http://shrinkingmimsy.blogspot.com/[/url]

Totally addicted to cutting with my new 24 inch Silver Bullet!
Elizabeth

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby LisaH » April 11th, 2013, 8:01 am

My story is a lot like Elizabeth's....I had a Cricut Expression for about 3 or 4 months...never was completely satisfied with its performance. I found Sherri (through the MTC forum) at a time when they (MTC) were being sued by Cricut for the software comparability issues. Sherri and Dawn resurrected the Black Cat Lynx (for a limited time) as a way for those that didn't want to be limited in their creativity to get a non-proprietary machine at a reasonable "starter user/starter price" machine for the hobbiest. I purchased a Lynx...and while waiting for its arrival I read and listened to what others were saying about their BC Cougars and what they were setting them at, how they did different things, etc. when my Lynx arrived I jumped in and started using it. Yes, I made some mistakes, messed up a few blades, etc. but it wasn't but a little bit of time and I "understood" my machine and how it worked. I have never looked back! I sold the cricut...still have my Lynx...and have a 15" Silver Bullet that I wouldn't trade for anything!! (Unless Sherri came out with a newer / better machine LOL) yes, there is definitely a learning curve to any of the higher end machines - because they are not a plug and play, they are more of a plug, play & learn (because you have to choose your settings for everything) expand your creativity in endless ways, types of machines. Once you learn the most basic functions of your machine and the settings it likes for different media/functions, you will have limitations only by your imigination. I, for one, had no problems adjusting to this type of machine from my short use of the cricut...I know others have had many issues...each person has their own learning curve and comfort level and that's okay...should you choose to purchase a Silver Bullet from Sherri, the support through her and this forum is absolutely amazing! But you do need to understand, it takes time and effort and a willingness to try to be able to use these machines, but once you "get it" they are incredible machines!
LisaH

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby Angel135612 » April 11th, 2013, 9:12 am

Hi Terri and welcome to the forum.

I have never owned a Cameo, I went from a Cricut Expression which I didn't use all that much because I didn't like having to search for designs on cartridges, to a 24 inch Cougar. (I decided if I was going to go with a good quality machine, I may as well get the largest so I wouldn't have to upgrade later because I wanted to be able to cut bigger). It took me a good 6 months to get comfortable with it, but a lot of that was because I didn't have the time to spend with the machine due to work hours. If I had had time to play with the machine more often, it probably wouldn't have taken me more than a couple of weeks to get comfortable with it. I still have some issues when I want to cut something new, I need to remind myself that getting extra pieces of media when I'm trying something new so I have something to practice on helps save money and my sanity in the long run.
As others have said, once you learn the machine, you can do anything you can imagine, and with the other tools, you aren't limited to just cutting paper or vinyl or chipboard. It took me awhile to try PnC but once I got the machine calibrated (and that took me a few attempts to get it spot on like I wanted, but it was an easy process, just a bit time consuming) I love doing PnC and that opened up a whole other area of crafting. There is a great video in the Learning Center on how to do PnC with the machines.

I took a look at your blog and see you are in Denver... I'm down in Colorado Springs :-) I love your creations and look forward to seeing more (I subscribed to your blog).

Just wanted to add, if you decide you want a Cougar there is someone in Denver that is selling one they purchased and don't have time to use in this thread.
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=4169
If they still have it, it would be an awesome deal, and you could probably arrange to pick it up and save on shipping costs.
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Return to Silver Bullet Professional Series