Cut is consistently 1/2" off

Cut is consistently 1/2" off

Postby emsobel » February 10th, 2018, 5:41 pm

New cutter here....I'm finding my cuts to be consistently about 1/2" off. I've calibrated the laser, done a print/cut, origin and WYSIWYG cuts...everything. Checked my settings and STILL off. My speed/force settings are fine, just the location is off. I'm currently aligning my blade up with the lower, right corner of my page. setting my origin point, going online, and selecting 'origin' cut.

See attached pic. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
emsobel

Cutter: Silver Bullet Professional 18"

Re: Cut is consistently 1/2" off

Postby Gigi » February 10th, 2018, 7:21 pm

I think you need to go back through the Learning Center Classroom and pay special attention to the print and cut section. We repeatedly advise new users to avoid trying print and cut until you thoroughly understand the machine and how it cuts to avoid issues like this - we just dont like to see anyone get frustrated or confused because they are pushing through the lessons a bit too fast.

I am pretty sure your problem is that you are setting it to cut origin, so it will take your cut files, no matter where you have them on the mat, and move them to align with where you are setting your origin. You also should be doing a print and cut from within the
print and cut window in the software - and there is automatically sets your cutting to WYSIWYG and then uses how you have set your registration marks to perfectly cut out the files.

You don't mention printing it out with the registration marks, and you need those to align the print and cut design(s). The software will take you through the three registration marks that you printed on your design, and then you select cut from the third registration mark after you have aligned it and will get a perfect result.

Go through the video a few more times and try a simple design using the print and cut option in the software until you have a good understanding of it.

If you have other questions, let us know.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby MeFlick » February 11th, 2018, 7:16 am

First, just to make sure - I want to confirm you are using SCAL software? Second, as Gigi noted, what you are attempting to do requires you to cut using the "print and cut" method with registration marks printed on the media. You then use the laser light to manually align on the registration marks during the "process" in order for it to cut accurately. It is a little more complicated process and requires you to do a "print and cut" alignment calibration with the cutter before attempting. That its self takes a little time and effort to do. You want to get that perfect if you want perfect print and cuts.

If you can verify that you are using print and cut and have properly done the print and cut alignment calibration, are using with registration marks, are aligning to those marks,then we can investigate further. If you have not, then you will need to do all that to get this to work correctly. Like Gigi, I don't see any registration marks but you don't show the full image so we may just not be able to see them.
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Cutter: 18"Silver Bullet & More

Postby emsobel » February 11th, 2018, 9:10 am

Thanks all! Great advice!! :) To confirm, yes I am using the print/cut method and aligning with registration marks. I've also watched the videos numerous times (I've actually had my cutter for a few years, but it's been a while since I've used it). I've also calibrated the laser and followed the prompts to align the 3 reg marks and still 1/2" off. SCAL4 is what I'm using.
emsobel

Cutter: Silver Bullet Professional 18"

Postby Gigi » February 11th, 2018, 12:06 pm

Thank you for clarifying but I am still perplexed. You say you are going online and selecting origin cut. You don't select origin cut when doing print and cut. So to clarify - you are using the print and cut method in the software, setting the three registration marks with the laser in the center of each mark (not the blade) and then clicking on the scissors in the software -right?

When you calibrate, you get a perfect cut? And you put those numbers in the print and cut setting if you made adjustments - right?
What happens if you print out a square from the software - just a simple square - with the registration marks and do a print and cut on that. Trying to determine if it is your file.

When you have it set up in the software and do a preview from the software, you should be able to see all of the cut and print lines with the registration marks (set what you want to see). Does it look correct there? (see my example below)

Can you send me the file so I can look at it?
Gigi@silverbulletcutters.com
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Return to Silver Bullet Professional Series