Challenge 9- Dana's Cookie Box

Re: Challenge 9- Dana's Cookie Box

Postby Gigi » July 23rd, 2011, 8:25 pm

Jeannette -

Boy am I dense! I had to read it a couple of times to get it - but I see - you are basically saying to set the boundaries with the little boxes so the scoring lines would be in the right place. Good idea - thank you.

It's funny - I have used inkscape for years, but minimally and finally I am wanting to learn and try more and I am quickly realizing just how much I DON'T know! LOL
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby JeannetteC » July 23rd, 2011, 8:56 pm

yes. It's the same concept I used for doing the tumbler wrap to define the size of the working template.
JeannetteC

Postby LisaH » July 23rd, 2011, 9:31 pm

Ooohhhhh, ooohhhh, Gigi...I love those colors!! You have done a fantastic job my friend!!
LisaH

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby whizzy » July 24th, 2011, 2:33 am

gi_CIJ_challenge9.jpg

Haven't completed this challenge (only have 3 more boxes cut out so far!) but wanted to show one completed.
I turned the template into 1 piece (to suit A4) & did the scoring on the machine, something I'd not tried before.
I've done individual tags ready for each of the dogs in the family & going to make one box for Desi the cat with a fish shaped opening & tag.

Thankyou for a great challenge!

cheers! :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
www.scrapsofstuff.com
Mac OS X 10.9, Windows 7
Inkscape, Signcut Pro (with dongle) & Scal3  tiny bites! )
whizzy

Cutter: 18" Cougar

Postby PennyDuncan » July 24th, 2011, 2:38 am

SUPER cute Whizzy!!!
Have a Blessed Day...Penny Duncan
http://pennyscreativearthaven.blogspot.com
PennyDuncan

Postby Thyme » July 24th, 2011, 2:40 am

CAGigi wrote:Wow Trisha - thank you. As usual, I did it the hard way!! That seems to be the only way I know how! LOL

I DO have a question (well I have many but will start with one. I am sure I am doing something wrong when I send to Signcut, but I don't know what it is.

When I first started with the file, I ungrouped and changed the color of the folded lines so they would be separate and I could "cut" them at a lower force, marking the lines rather than cutting. So I sent to SignCut and all looks fine with both colors showing. But when I chose just the color of the scored lines, it drops them down to the origin rather than leaving them as they would be if I was cutting the box out. I don't know if I am saying it clear. I understand why it does that as usually you are cutting something out that you want to start at a certain point, but how do I score the lines separately without altering their position? Does that make sense?

I could have done the whole thing lower, removed the score lines and then just cut the outline again - but that is why I went to the little tiny dots to mark the scoring so I could do it all at one time.

Hope you can decipher what I am trying to ask!!

And Jeannette - I love that you got them on one 12x12. Should have done that but .. next time.

I learn from all of you daily and I love it! Thank you!

The top icon on the right hand side tool bar switches between "whole area" and "optimised"
You are presently using optimised, click on it and change to the whole area option and the different colours will then stay in place
Thyme

Postby Trisha » July 24th, 2011, 7:28 am

Gigi,

I'm no expert, but I'll give it a shot...If I am understanding you, you have one file with two colors for the outline cut lines and the fold cut lines -- yes? Then, you send to Signcut -- so far, so good? You should be able to send the whole file to Signcut, select by color, and cut the outline and then the fold lines without a problem. When it is finished cutting the outlines, the blade should return to origin before you select cut for the fold lines. When you select the outlines, and then next stage select the fold lines, it may look like it will cut in a different place, but it shouldn't if you don't change anything in the way you view/cut ("optimise"). Did you actually try it, or did you look at it and not cut?

If you have actually tried cutting even though it looked "different," I will pm you with some suggestions that may (or may not) help. I won't be home until mid afternoon, but I will check this thread when I get home.

Trisha
In God We STILL Trust
Trisha

Postby rachellann » July 24th, 2011, 8:15 am

love the gift boxes, great work everyone
Helping where I can when I can.
Using a 24" Silver Bullet Pro and also have a 18" Cougar
rachellann

Cutter: 18 Cougar, 24"Silver Bullet

Postby Angel135612 » July 24th, 2011, 9:01 am

Gigi, I love the colors of your boxes!!! I made some of these last year on the MTC crop, and made them smaller and just put some store bought candy in them for my family. (I don't bake cookies or make candy, no time around Christmas as every one seems to think they have to mail packages to other people... lol).

I'm glad you are learning new things with Inkscape and Signcut...I read what others are asking, and can learn myself, so when I go to do something, I can go back and look it up again, to see what was talked about.

Dawn, thanks for explaining about that other icon in Signcut, I had no idea what that was for.

Has any one tried to use an embossing tool to do the score lines, instead of cutting? Instead of trying to make small lines or circles, just put the embossing tool in the machine for the score lines. I would think it wouldn't need to be a deep emboss just for score lines, so you wouldn't have to put it on an embossing mat. But I haven't tried it.. so not sure it would work. (I was also thinking IF there was a way to get the registration marks on the paper, you could put the paper on an embossing mat, line it up, do the scoring, then put it on a regular mat, and do the cutting... but that may be more trouble, than just scoring the lines after you cut).
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby Thyme » July 24th, 2011, 9:54 am

Yes you could use the embossing tool. Use the smallest tip and a lot of pressure if you are staying on the regular mat
Thyme

Postby JeannetteC » July 24th, 2011, 10:22 am

Great Dawn! I knew there had to be a correct way to do that.
JeannetteC

Postby Gigi » July 24th, 2011, 11:00 am

Thanks Dawn and Trisha.

I knew there was an easier way to do it - always is!

And I did think about doing that Trisha, but was afraid that if I cut first it might move when I did the score lines, so wanted to do the score lines first.
So I just have to remember to do optimized view!

Thank you both!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Thyme » July 24th, 2011, 1:22 pm

Not optimised - whole area.
Optimised will only pay attention to the colour you have selected to cut - so your score lines will move to the bottom and the right of the paper. Use whole area and that will take into account the rest of the template so the score lines will remain in the correct place.
Easy way to see what it does - choose one of the colours that does not fill the while template and then click on that top icon. Whole area will not change the positioning of the one colour. Optimised will.
Thyme

Postby Trisha » July 24th, 2011, 2:07 pm

Thyme wrote:Not optimised - whole area.
Optimised will only pay attention to the colour you have selected to cut - so your score lines will move to the bottom and the right of the paper. Use whole area and that will take into account the rest of the template so the score lines will remain in the correct place.
Easy way to see what it does - choose one of the colours that does not fill the while template and then click on that top icon. Whole area will not change the positioning of the one colour. Optimised will.

Yes, Dawn is exactly right. I'm sorry, Gigi, I did not intend to indicate that optimised is the way to go, only that if it is present, and if the way you are viewing a file with all it's lines doesn't change, then neither should the cutting placement.

Thanks for clarifying that, Dawn. (See? I told ya I'm not expert! Lol!)

Trisha
In God We STILL Trust
Trisha

Postby Thyme » July 24th, 2011, 2:49 pm

No probs trisha, you put Gigi on the right track
Thyme

Postby LisaH » July 24th, 2011, 5:20 pm

Whizzy, love the box and can't wait to see the kitty version!! Super job!
LisaH

Postby Retta » July 24th, 2011, 5:53 pm

Whizzy - great job. My doggy would love it.
Retta

Cutter: 13" Cat CS4/Inkscape signcut

Postby Retta » July 24th, 2011, 5:53 pm

Gigi - love it. I need that size
Retta

Cutter: 13" Cat CS4/Inkscape signcut

Postby Gigi » July 24th, 2011, 6:37 pm

Ok - got it now. I just opened a file to see if I could get it and that was it - I was missing clicking on that top box while in signcut - thanks again Dawn and Trisha!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby whizzy » July 24th, 2011, 7:35 pm

gi_CIJ_challenge9_2.jpg

The cat version — LOL

Kept all the boxes the same — don't want any fighting going on when the time comes!

Apart from the contents (to be added later) Desi (the cat) Tia (the dalmation) Mugsly (not quite a pug) & Noodle (not quite a poodle) are all taken care of . . .

cheers!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
www.scrapsofstuff.com
Mac OS X 10.9, Windows 7
Inkscape, Signcut Pro (with dongle) & Scal3  tiny bites! )
whizzy

Cutter: 18" Cougar

PreviousNext

Return to Christmas in July