Got a Question? Ask it HERE please!!!!!!!!

Re: Got a Question? Ask it HERE please!!!!!!!!

Postby CaseysAngel » July 9th, 2011, 11:21 am

no problem sweety.
CaseysAngel

Postby Gigi » July 9th, 2011, 6:32 pm

It's me again - needing help.

I am trying to cut the shaker box. I can see the two layers in mtc - exported it as an svg and that is fine except it becomes one image. If I ungroup I lose the lines where they are supposed to go etc. I tried to copy and paste from one program to another and that didnt' work. Even tried to cut in MTC (have NEVER used the program) and it always shoots to the back and wants to cut where the mat leaves the pinch wheels.

I havent tried any of the other files I have exported, but I want to do this one because I have an idea!! :o

So how do I get the two layers in MTC to show in Inkscape - or if I can't, how to I make the adjustments so I have two separate pieced that are right??!!??

Have I confused all of you now? I hope the other files I have saved are easier than this one. I have done this before but they were separate pieces and stayed that way. Any advice appreciated AND needed!!
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby JeannetteC » July 9th, 2011, 7:07 pm

Gigi, when in MTC, pull the two layers apart so they are side by side. Now if you copy and paste into Inkscape they will be as you need them to be.
JeannetteC

Postby Gigi » July 9th, 2011, 7:27 pm

OK - I did that. Then in Inkscape I ungrouped, selected each of the pieces and grouped each of them - so far so good.

Now I went to copy one of the pieces and paste it into a new file. If I copy the piece that is supposed to wrap around (the cover) it shows up in Signcut when I export to cut and all is fine. But I cannot get that to work with the small frame of the box. I send just that to signcut and nothing shows and signcut says all tiles are deactivated. I have rebooted, tried and tried about 5 times (ok way more than that.) the one piece goes to Sign cut but the other piece seems like it doesn't. And I am doing nothing different with either of them. So what do I do next??

Sorry guys - I have never had this happen before ... Ready to scream. I want this to work before I lose my idea - or just don't care anymore!! :banghead: Feeling VERY stupid.....

Gigi
Gigi

Postby JeannetteC » July 9th, 2011, 7:30 pm

I just created the SVG files and posted them, but I did similar steps to yours, so it could cause the same to happen. Unfortunately, I haven't tackled signcut yet, so I have no idea! The piece causing you grief is easy to recreate if you need to. It's simply a 3" and 4" square that has been nested.
I'll try my files and see if they show up in Signcut. brb
JeannetteC

Postby JeannetteC » July 9th, 2011, 7:34 pm

LOL, how do you just send one thing to Signcut? I opened the SVG file that contains both parts but when I select one piece and do the export to Signcut, the entire file goes! Told you I had no clue!
JeannetteC

Postby Gigi » July 9th, 2011, 7:40 pm

LOL - first of all - I sent as is and both showed. So for the umpteemth time I selected just the frame and copied it and pasted it into a new file. It worked on about the 20th try. So I now have it ready to cut.

But that is why I copy and paste or all of the pieces will go and they are usually different colors. So I select the pieces one color at a time and copy and paste into a new file, then just keep doing it that way with the original file open and the second one that is just my copy and paste color at a time page. I am SURE there is an easier way, but that is how I figured it out.

I still have NO earthly idea why I had so much trouble getting it to be recognized in Signcut - but at least it is seeing it now. Better cut it before it disappears!! Thanks Jeannette!!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby JeannetteC » July 9th, 2011, 7:46 pm

Good luck with the project!
I want to learn Signcut. I just got my Cougar last weekend though, so for now I'm sticking with MTC because I know it well.
JeannetteC

Postby CaseysAngel » July 9th, 2011, 8:01 pm

Thanks Jeannette
CaseysAngel

Postby StephP » July 9th, 2011, 11:28 pm

Mine's not a technical question--maybe it should go in the chat thread? Does anyone think I should change up my challenge? We're still really early in to it, and as far as I know no one has completed it--it's just that there are a lot of box projects already, do we need something else? Since I wasn't using a file I created myself, I wouldn't be bothered at all by switching it out. But maybe that's just too confusing. Anyway, what does anyone think?? :)
StephP

Postby CaseysAngel » July 9th, 2011, 11:49 pm

I wouldn't swap it out but if you want to add an additional challenge that's perfectly fine. I just don't want to confuse anyone.

I'm totally surprised there isn't anymore card challenges honestly!!!!! I know several can be used as to do cards but I just thought there would be more of them I guess. I'm thinking seriously of adding a few challenges myself simple because I'm afraid some may not have enough challenges because they only make cards. What do you guys think:?
CaseysAngel

Postby Gigi » July 10th, 2011, 1:44 am

Well as a card maker, I did a few of those first, but I plan on making some of the bags and gift tags and other things that are fun. Some of the really detailed projects I probably won't do until later just because there is only so much time and next week is really busy. But I plan to try as much as I can.

Not sure you need to add anything Christy - at the moment it feels pretty overwhelming to me!! LOL But I am the one who takes forever to decide what to do and how to do it!!

There are a lot of boxes and I probably won't do all of them, but I don't think that means anyone should change what they have or add. Maybe see how everyone is doing halfway through and reassess it them??

And when this is over, maybe there is a way to preplan so you know how many types of challenges there are. I don't know - just talking! LOL

I wouldn't worry this early in - no stressing ladies - that's what you tell me!! :ROFLMBO:

Gigi
Gigi

Postby colleen » July 10th, 2011, 9:17 am

Hello:

I am loving this challenge. It finally got me back to crafting again. I think we need this once a month(lol). I do have a question though. Can one project be entered in two different challenges. For instance I made Sherri's box but I used Dana's color challenge. Can I upload the the picture and enter it in both categories. The other question I seen asked but I dint see the answer is can you enter more the one project in the same category? Thanks so much everyone for the challenges . I appreciate it.
colleen

Cutter: 13 in. Cougar MTC/SCAL

Postby LisaH » July 10th, 2011, 9:28 am

Colleen - I don't know about the crossing of projects/categories...Christy will have to answer that one.

But, I don't see any reason you can't do a challenge multiple times....IMHO
LisaH

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby JeannetteC » July 10th, 2011, 9:32 am

Usually we have guidelines posted. Typically,
- no cross posting (we tried it once and it took away from the main challenge)
- can do a challenge twice (can do it more, but it will only count twice for the draw)
- the project must be made during the crop (can't post something you made last week/month/year that happens to fit)

I'm sure Christy will be by to confirm/correct these.
JeannetteC

Postby CaseysAngel » July 10th, 2011, 10:15 am

HI ladies!!!!!!!

Colleen, Jeannette is right. Usually I don't allow mixing but since this one has so many challenges I will allow you to use a single project for up to TWO challenges but no more. So your box is fine just make sure when you post it in each thread you tell me it's being used for both. That way I don't have to try and remember I can just make a note as I go through the entries.LOL

She is correct on all the rest of course.

Gigi,

I'm not stressing I promise.LOL I just want to make sure we have stuff to accomodate everyone.LOL And I usually do on the large ones make sure everyone tells me their project name (no details but this way I know how many of each) but with everything going on to be honest I wasn't as on top of this crop as I usualy am and for that I am very sorry guys. The planning of this was started at MTC, had to be moved to here, I had to make sure who was still with us, and then I got pregnant so it just was a bit wild with this one. I promise I will do better next time!!!!!!!!! ;)

Collen, My goal is to have SOMETHING once a month but it won't always be a huge crop. It takes me longer than a month to get one of this size planned and ready.LOL The next one this big will be in November and the planning for htat one has already began. There will be challenges every month though and a few mini crops in between them (with 20 challenges or less). I don't want to spill the beans but August event is already in the works!!! We'll keep ya busy and crafting though, or I'll try my best to.LOL

Thank you all so much for your feedback!!!!!
CaseysAngel

Postby PennyDuncan » July 10th, 2011, 10:26 am

CAGigi wrote:LOL - first of all - I sent as is and both showed. So for the umpteemth time I selected just the frame and copied it and pasted it into a new file. It worked on about the 20th try. So I now have it ready to cut.

But that is why I copy and paste or all of the pieces will go and they are usually different colors. So I select the pieces one color at a time and copy and paste into a new file, then just keep doing it that way with the original file open and the second one that is just my copy and paste color at a time page. I am SURE there is an easier way, but that is how I figured it out.

I still have NO earthly idea why I had so much trouble getting it to be recognized in Signcut - but at least it is seeing it now. Better cut it before it disappears!! Thanks Jeannette!!

Hey Gigi...Not sure if you have it resolved yet....BUT.....why don't you just add a layer to the file in Inkscape......cut and paste one of the items to a new layer....now close the eye on the layer you do NOT want to cut....leaving the one you DO want to cut visible...now sent to sign cut...IF when sign cut opens.....AND it's showing anything other then what you have open on your mat in Inkscape...just keep click on the the IMPORT button until it refreshes.....I do this all the time and it works perfectly.....I can't explain why it doesn't always refresh but I do have it happen often....does any of that make sense????
Have a Blessed Day...Penny Duncan
http://pennyscreativearthaven.blogspot.com
PennyDuncan

Postby Gigi » July 10th, 2011, 1:14 pm

Christy - you have NOTHING to apologize for - the crop is great.

And thanks for clarifying - I thought you could combine challenges as I am new to this - so guess my one is good but no more - got it! LOL

Penny - I finally got it. Even when Jeannette redesigned the file it wouldn't work for a while - and then it did. But it was honestly at least 20 attempts!! Drove me nuts!! (short drive, I know .... I know......!!)

Thanks all of you for your help and patience!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby JeannetteC » July 10th, 2011, 3:14 pm

Penny, thank you! That makes total sense. Next question, can you move pieces in Signcut, or do you have to have your mat layed out in Inkscape? I try to conserve waste as much as possible.
JeannetteC

Postby PennyDuncan » July 10th, 2011, 3:18 pm

JeannetteC wrote:Penny, thank you! That makes total sense. Next question, can you move pieces in Signcut, or do you have to have your mat layed out in Inkscape? I try to conserve waste as much as possible.

As far as I'm aware you lay them out the way you want them to cut in Inkscape and then when you send to sign cut that's the way it cuts........like for instance If you're wanting to use different colors of paper.......I would suggest laying your papers out at given places on your page......then matching that up with the measures for your document in Inkscape...meaning if you're using say a 12x12 mat/area....then make your document/page in Inkscape the same size......by going into your document settings.....then when you send to sign cut place your blade exactly where you want it to print does that make sense???? And did I even answer your question?????
Have a Blessed Day...Penny Duncan
http://pennyscreativearthaven.blogspot.com
PennyDuncan

PreviousNext

Return to Christmas in July