want to buy: small silver bullett

Re: want to buy: small silver bullett

Postby Gigi » May 2nd, 2014, 5:59 pm

That is great about all of your trial cuts. Doing a test cut first is so helpful.

Are you set to cut at WYSIWYG and not origin? That is my first thought....... Could there be a part of that file that you can't see so it is cutting it higher than you realize to make up for the difference. Also be sure you didnt leave any stray pieces behind from the other cuts as that could throw your cut off too.

Sometimes it's hard to know how to answer as i may be reading your question one way when you mean it another!! if you want to send me the file i would be happy to cut it and see what happens. You can also select all of the objects on the mat (control A) and see if there is something that shows.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby caroleg51 » May 2nd, 2014, 9:18 pm

Ok, maybe I am confused.. each time I go to cut something, I need to set the origin correct? I have been choosing the lower right corner. I then imported my page of cut files. They were all grouped together . I made sure none were too close to the edge of the matt. I did have it set to cut WYSIWYG.. so it would cut it exactly as it was on the matt..
the previous pages I cut which were shapes from the scal 3 library, all cut exactly where I out them on the mat.
carole
caroleg51

Cutter: sillhoutte cameo

Postby Gigi » May 2nd, 2014, 10:53 pm

OK - cutting WYSIWYG and origin are two different things. Yes you set the origin no matter what, but cutting with origin means that your design will cut from that corner, so if you sent the origin in the lower right corner, that will be your bottom point of your design and the right side of your design.

If you are cutting WYSIWYG, you need to be sure that your mat is the same size as the paper you are using as that will throw the design off. Personally, I only use WYSIWYG if I am doing fold lines or writing and then cutting so they stay together in the design. I love origin cutting because I can easily put a lot of scraps on my mat for small pieces and set the origin on each piece and know it will cut within the paper size - did that make sense? So if I have a one inch square that I want to cut out of blue card stock, I can take a scrap of blue paper and as long as it is at least a little over an inch high and wide, it will cut on that scrap. For me it saves a lot of waste.

I still wonder if the design has something on it that you are not seeing that is bumping it up on the mat, assuming your virtual mat is the same size as your paper. i would be happy to look at the design if you want - it is sometimes hard to tell what is off without "seeing" it...... I have a feeling I am missing something really simple! But it's not coming to me other than what I have shared!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Elizabeth » May 3rd, 2014, 3:52 pm

Hi Carole. Glad to hear you are having so much success already!

The SVG Cuts files often have a hidden node to help with sizing. If you select the individual shapes you may notice that the bounding box is larger than the shape itself. This will throw off the placement of the cuts. Ungrouping the shapes and selecting just the shape to be cut should alleviate this problem. Those hidden nodes really throw things off sometimes. (But SVG Cuts files are my favorites, aside from Penny's! The quality and attention to detail makes me a happy camper.)
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
http://shrinkingmimsy.blogspot.com/[/url]

Totally addicted to cutting with my new 24 inch Silver Bullet!
Elizabeth

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby caroleg51 » May 3rd, 2014, 5:58 pm

Gigi. I am sure I had my mat at 12x12, and the design appeared to be inside the mat lines. but maybe what elizabeth is saying about the nodes has something to do with it. I am attachng the file that I cut and you can check it..
ok, so we always have to set the origin, but if we choose wysiwyg. then it cuts where the design is on the paper and if we choose origin, it cuts where ever we set that origin.. slowly learning!
lighthouse1.svg

thanks carole
file is attached
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
caroleg51

Postby Gigi » May 3rd, 2014, 8:32 pm

Just downloaded it. It looks fine but will cut it a little smaller just because I have letter cardstock handy..it seems to resize evenly.

Am curious though - it has cut lines and dashes and numbers. Did you cut it using layers? i saw the dropdown menu with the layers - just wondering if you used those.

UPDATE: I just cut the lighthouses both origin and WYSIWYG. I didn't do the fold lines (but left everything in place in case that is the problem) - just cut out all of the shapes and they cut within the parameters both ways - origin and WYSIWYG.

So..... going back to what i asked earlier, since you were cutting shapes before, are you sure they were all removed before you added this file and nothing is hidden anywhere.

Also, have you rebooted your computer recently? Sometimes when the computer is "tired", it will cut off course and a reboot will set things right again.

Grasping at straws, but i see no problem with the file at all. i resized it several times and it was within the bounding box each time with the correct measurements.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby caroleg51 » May 4th, 2014, 7:41 am

gigi
i had cut it exactly as it first opened in my softare, it opened centered on my 12x12 matt. i cut all layers as they were, score lines numbers etc. it was the first cut after turning on the machine. I will try again and see if I get the same result. OK, so if I am to recut this again and ther eare multiple pieces, if I cut it wysisyg, it will cut them as they apprear on the mat, If I choose origin, do I set the origin for each piece?
thanks carole
caroleg51

Postby Gigi » May 4th, 2014, 10:34 am

Strange.......i had no issues with it as i said. yes you are right about WYSIWYG. It will cut exactly where it is on your mat, based on where you set the origin - so you want to be sure your virtual mat and media agree. It is most useful when you are cutting files like the one you sent - those with fold/score lines and cut lines or when you are combining writing and cutting, for instance. You always want to use WYSIWYG for that. Trust me i learned that the hard way!!!

Origin is great if you are just cutting, especially when you are using up scrap pieces. But I love it for almost everything because i can control where it cuts and minimize paper waste. Yes you set the origin for each layer rather than piece. Let me try to explain. Let's say you have three squares, three triangles and three circles. When you first put those on your mat, you will have 9 layers show up - a layer for each. (i just tried this again to be sure I say it right!) And maybe you want to cut, for ease of explaining, all of the triangles black, circles red and squares blue - really original right? LOL So put your triangles together and group them (Object>Group). The three triangle layers will become one layer. Do the same with the circles and the squares. Then the original 9 layers become three layers. So then, when you have your black cardstock down to cut, you only leave the eye on the triangles open and close the other two. When you hit cut the first time, you will see on the preview screen that the triangles have moved down to the point on your mat together, so you know they are going to cut wherever you have set your origin. Then you would do the same with the red and blue, setting your origin for each layer.

When you are bringing in a design, some are already on layers and some you need to ungroup and regroup for whatever colors you are using. once you start doing it, you will see how easy it is and it is the way most of us cut, unless we have designs mentioned above where the placement of other parts needs to stay in the same position.

Hope that makes some sense. I can add some screen shots if it would help....

Gigi
Gigi

Postby caroleg51 » May 4th, 2014, 11:21 am

gigi
I briefly used scal 2 with my cricuit, so although I am not profecient with it, i know the basics with scal.. I just am brand new ton SB and how it cuts. I think I remember about the layers in scal so what your saying souns a bit familair ..LOL.. enough to ge tme in trouble anyway..
I will retry cutitng the file again and see what happens. I will keep you posted. I sure appreciate your help
carole
caroleg51

Postby Gigi » May 4th, 2014, 12:28 pm

You are welcome. Hopefully you will get a clean cut this time. Be sure you have rebooted your computer recently and you might want to try a machine reset if it doesn't work again. Don't want to throw too much at you so we can figure out what helped if the problem still exists - try one at a time!!

Good luck.....

Gigi
Gigi

Previous

Return to Items For sale