Update on me...

Update on me...

Postby Angel135612 » August 31st, 2014, 6:54 pm

Well, I haven't had much time to craft lately, as we started packing up the house to get it ready to put on the market so we could move after I retire. While doing some of the work, we decided that it would be less expensive to just take the money we would have used for moving and a new house, and put it towards fixing up this one and staying put.
We are doing much more work to the house than we originally were going to, since we are going to be staying and are about half finished with it. We bought all new appliances for the kitchen, the oldest was my refrigerator at 30 years old, purchased when I first bought the house. The dishwasher was replaced a couple of months ago, when we first started talking about moving, and the range was replaced this past weekend. We also purchased an over the range microwave. We are going to be putting in a wood floor in the kitchen to replace the vinyl that Dan put in when he moved in with me over 10 years ago. (Got the flooring on clearance at Home Depot for 50% off, and it is exactly what we would have picked out if we had planned on doing it with out seeing the clearance).
We are also rearranging our living space, so that I'm going to have more room for my crafting, and Dan will have his own room for his office, and the dining room can become a dining room again instead of an extension of my crafting area. My new crafting area will be large enough to put up all my sewing machines and my Silver Bullet, and have room for my computer, and even a Long Arm quilting machine, when I'm ready to purchase one of those.
We went looking for new furniture and bought a sofa and love seat for the living room, a China cabinet for the dining room and a dresser for the bedroom. We still need to find some nightstands that will fit in our new space for the bedroom, but I think that is the last of the furniture we need. Dan is going to be painting all the walls upstairs, before the new carpet gets installed.
Once we finish the upstairs we will work on the basement, which is where our bedroom and my craft area is. So I get to design my sewing/crafting area, and set it up exactly how I want it.. just need to figure out how I want it... LOL But it will be a few more weeks before it will be ready for me to start moving all my crafting stuff in there. We will be putting new carpet in the basement as well, and it will be the same through out the house.
I'm still planning on retiring Dec1, or I may move it up to Nov 30, not sure one day will make a huge difference either way, other than knowing I won't have to work at all in Dec. :-) I'm so ready to retire... and spend my days quilting and crafting and doing what ever I want to do. I was looking forward to the adventure of moving, but I think I will be happier staying where we are, and it is an adventure doing all the renovations to the house. :-)
I try to get on here and see what every one is working on as often as I can, but with needing to do things around the house to get every thing finished and back to normal, I don't have as much time as I would like. But since I can't do any crafting until my new craft area is set up... at least I can see what every one else is working on.
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Re: Update on me...

Postby Gigi » August 31st, 2014, 7:39 pm

Sounds exciting Diane. Good luck with all of it - especially designing your craft room.

I hope you can manage to do all that you want when you retire. I am busier now than when I worked full time, but that's because I don't say "no" well!! I am sure that just knowing you only have a few more months before you retire sounds pretty wonderful to you. Wish you the best and look forward to seeing you crafting more! And have fun with all of the remodeling. What fun!
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby Angel135612 » August 31st, 2014, 8:42 pm

Thanks Gigi, I am not sure how long I will last not doing something other than what I want to do. Although I'm looking forward to it, I am not sure I have enough stuff to keep me busy. I have considered getting a part time job doing something, but I want to spend at least the first 3 to 6 months not doing anything but what I want. Of course it will probably take me at least that long to set up my crafting area and get everything put where I can find it when I need it. LOL
Angel135612

Postby Elizabeth » August 31st, 2014, 9:45 pm

Good for you, Angel135612! Your "new" house sounds wonderful, and easier and more relaxing than all the changes that would come with a big move, in the long run. Keep us posted!
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
http://shrinkingmimsy.blogspot.com/[/url]

Totally addicted to cutting with my new 24 inch Silver Bullet!
Elizabeth

Postby MeFlick » September 1st, 2014, 10:01 am

Congratulations on your impending retirement and your new "move"! ;) I am sure you are more than excited about all the pending changes. In the end, any improvements that you make to your house now, should only reap you some benefits later should you change your minds and want to sell and move to a warmer climate!
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Cutter: 18"Silver Bullet & More

Postby LisaH » September 2nd, 2014, 8:06 pm

YAY Diane!! I'm so happy for you - sounds like you have things going exactly the way you need them to and a new crafting area, to boot!
LisaH

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby Angel135612 » September 3rd, 2014, 7:51 am

Thanks ladies!!! I'm not enjoying the house being in total chaos right now, but I know when it is all done, it will be fantastic. At least we are working on it while I'm still working, so I'm not home during the day while all the work is being done.
I keep thinking about how I want to arrange my new space, and don't have a clue... I think it is going to be one of those.. lets try that here...nope, don't like it move it there...no, not sure I like it there either.. types of things.. LOL I can't picture what the room is going to look like until I get my furniture in there, and move things around a few times. But I will be able to take my time and get it just the way I want it, so I'm sure how ever it turns out, it will be just right.
I still have a hard time believing that I'm going to stop working for the PO in less than 3 months... that reality hasn't set in just yet. But I am looking forward to NOT having to work another Christmas.
Angel135612

Postby Elizabeth » September 3rd, 2014, 2:34 pm

You will figure out the best arrangement in time, Diane. When I took over my craft room from the girls, I started with my worktables, as they are the most important element, and worked everything else around them.
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Elizabeth

Postby Angel135612 » September 4th, 2014, 5:01 pm

That is what I was figuring Elizabeth... get my sewing cabinets in the room first, and figure out where I want them. Then a desk for my SB, and everything else can be placed according to how close to where I will need it that I can get it. :-)
Everything in the house is coming along.. the new floor is about done in the kitchen, and we can start putting that back together. Then the rest of the rooms upstairs will get prepped for painting, and painted, then install the carpet as soon as they can get it done. Once the carpet is installed, we will arrange to get the new furniture delivered. Then we move to the basement. We only have 2 rooms in the basement, what will be our bedroom, and my craft area. They will both get new paint and carpet... then we can start moving everything back to where it belongs. Should be about another week to 10 days... and I can have my house back to some semblance of normal.
Angel135612

Postby Elizabeth » September 8th, 2014, 1:02 pm

A week to 10 days won't be long! We should do a "studio tour" event later in the Fall. It would give us a chance to get ideas from one another's spaces, and give us a push to get organized before the rush of Holiday crafting.

Elizabeth

Postby Angel135612 » September 9th, 2014, 8:14 pm

I may have to take pictures of my new craft area before I move everything in there... as it may be the ONLY time it will look clean... LOL. As long as I don't need any thing "built" into the room, Dan can put a coat of paint on it, then I can start moving in after the carpet is installed.
Angel135612

Postby kim » September 9th, 2014, 8:45 pm

WOW...how awesome for you. You will be so happy after it is all done! It's getting there that is the problem. I know about trying to find time to craft. Mine just comes in spurts, but then, I'm not renovating the house I'm living in. Keep us posted!!!!
Mommy to a Silver Bullet 24" , a Black Cat Cougar 24" AND a Foil Master!
kim

Cutter: SB 24" and BC 24"

Postby rachellann » September 11th, 2014, 7:17 pm

Congrats on remodeling and that new craft room will be awesome space to spend your time.
Helping where I can when I can.
Using a 24" Silver Bullet Pro and also have a 18" Cougar
rachellann

Cutter: 18 Cougar, 24"Silver Bullet

Postby Suzan » September 12th, 2014, 12:41 pm

We have been in our house for a year now. I am still settling my craft room, in fact this is so bad, the room is 16 x 20 and since I do paper maybe 1 time a year, I have moved all the drawers (after a major destash of a 4 foot pile), and all paper related stuff to shelves in our spare bedroom. OI. If I had gotten the cardstock on clearance I would probably just get rid of it all, and buy only when I need it. Now I have filled the room with vinyl, HTV, rhinestones supplies, 2 cutters, 2 heat presses a sewing machine and 2 embroidery machines. Think I need a 27 step program. Nice thing is, hubby is a very willing helper, his only demand was he refused to actually help with the stoning part of the rhinestones. But we had a huge order and he relented and loves that he can do it better and faster than me. Now we have decided to permanently live up here, we are trying to figure out where to add on to the house for more space. I am in trouble.
Suzan
Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart!

http://www.simplycustomforyou.com
Suzan

Cutter: 13" Cougar 15" Silver Bullet

Postby Angel135612 » September 13th, 2014, 7:21 am

The last of the painting upstairs will be done today, and the new carpet installed on Tuesday. The new furniture will be delivered on Wednesday. The downstairs, which is where my craft room will be, will be painted next week, and the carpet down there installed on Friday. Then I get the (not so) fun task of unpacking everything and finding a home for it. My craft stuff will probably be the last stuff I work on, as I want to take my time and get everything organized as much as possible, and try to keep it that way.

@Suzan, your space is larger than what I'm going to have, my room is 11' by 22', but I don't have nearly as many machines as you do. LOL I have one cutter, two sewing/embroidery machines and a serger. But then I don't do anything for a "business", at least not yet. IF I ever do get a long arm machine for my quilts, then that will take up a good deal of real estate, but that won't be for a couple of years at least.

I will be so glad when this is all done... I know it is going to be great when it's all finished, but it is the getting there that sucks. LOL At least it is being worked on while I'm still working so I don't have to be home for all the noise and mess... LOL
Angel135612

Postby Elizabeth » September 13th, 2014, 9:58 am

Ha! I think one of the top reasons I love you ladies is that you make me feel like my craft obsession is normal! No one else understands why I NEED multiple machines and endless piles of materials.

Elizabeth

Postby Gigi » September 13th, 2014, 10:51 am

LOL Elizabeth. I think it's all relative. I don't understand why my son needs 10 different kinds of golf balls when he plays (ok - so those are smaller but still.... it's a BALL! LOL)

I think we are all perfectly obsessively normal and I refuse to see anything wrong with any of our "collections". In fact I think they are all pretty fabulous! :D
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby Suzan » September 16th, 2014, 11:42 am

You know what is really really awesome about it? Is being able to embroider and cut out at the same time. just scoot my chair across the hardwood floor (zooom), And do what I need. Well thru part of it anyways. LOL. And to finally have 90% of it organized, that in it's self is the most amazing thing.
Suzan
Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart!

http://www.simplycustomforyou.com
Suzan

Cutter: 13" Cougar 15" Silver Bullet

Postby Angel135612 » September 16th, 2014, 8:56 pm

Yep, being able to have all your machines set up, and not have to move them around to use them is wonderful. I also have my laptop that can live with my cutter, and my desktop will be handy for all my embroidery designs to get them to my machines. I won't be able to zoom across the floor, since I will have carpet, but I already have different chairs that I can use for different stations in my area.and figure getting up and moving from one place to another will be my "excerise"... LOL

The upstairs carpet was installed today... it is soooooooo nice and cushy. I am loving how everything is coming out. I will be happy when everything is done and we can start putting everything back. My craft room is going to be the last thing I work on, want the rest of the house back together before I worry about getting all my craft supplies unpacked. But with all the extra room I'm going to have, I can hopefully get things better organized and know where everything is.
Angel135612

Postby Elizabeth » September 17th, 2014, 7:40 am

Now I need "rollies" on my bar stools that are my craft table seating! :ROFLMBO: Many days, I get all of my exercise by running up and down the stairs between my Silver Bullet and my printer. I intentionally placed them at opposite ends of the house.

Your "new" house sounds delightful, Diane! Enjoy those new carpets!

Elizabeth

Next

Return to Off Topic