Mixed Media Artists....do you make anything using molds?

Mixed Media Artists....do you make anything using molds?

Postby kim » June 5th, 2014, 11:18 am

Problem.....some items that I want to use are either discontinued or too expensive. Solution....make my own using molds.

Question....what do you use? Metal clay is too expensive (need kiln or something similar and looks like it is a process that you have to learn by trial and error). Polymer clay seems to be too stiff to mold. Resin?....which is best? I need the items to look like metal. I have metallic pearl ex and rubnbuff.
Mommy to a Silver Bullet 24" , a Black Cat Cougar 24" AND a Foil Master!
kim

Cutter: SB 24" and BC 24"

Re: Mixed Media Artists....do you make anything using molds?

Postby LisaH » June 5th, 2014, 11:45 am

Kim, if you are talking about what to make the actual molded pieces that you want to use, have you thought about paper clay/ air dry clay?
LisaH

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby Gigi » June 5th, 2014, 1:07 pm

What is it you want to make, Kim? There are some new products out that use inexpensive silicone molds....... but like Lisa said, depending on what it is that you want you could use paper or chipboard and stack it up to look "molded". Curious now!
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby kim » June 5th, 2014, 1:13 pm

I found some silicone molds and want to make some gears, etc. I do use chipboard for most projects, but some things I want to do need more detail. Found a mold for a TH label holder and since I am using those a lot for some faux leather notebooks, thought I would make them. The label holder just has more detail that chipboard cannot replicate. I am thinking resin but maybe the paper clay. Just wondering if anyone has used any of the stuff and let me know. Actually was sort of surprised at how many molds are out there.
kim

Postby LisaH » June 5th, 2014, 1:17 pm

You can actually pipe hot melt glue into the silicon and make them that way. I think it's Mod Podge that made the couple I have and they have the glue sticks you can use. I think the paper clay would work better though. To me, the glue is kinda hard to "color" after it cools and sets.
LisaH

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby kim » June 5th, 2014, 1:21 pm

Actually it was the Mod Podge molds that got me thinking on this. Just wasn't sure about those "glue sticks" tho. Next time I get to the store, I will get some of the paper clay and give it a try. Will let you know how it turns out.
kim

Postby newbiecat » June 5th, 2014, 4:21 pm

Hi
If you are looking at moulds don't forget to check out the cake ones - they work great with modge podge too !

Pandora
newbiecat

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet

Postby Gigi » June 5th, 2014, 4:49 pm

So true - I got some great silicone cake molds and they are usually less expensive too!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby kim » June 5th, 2014, 5:29 pm

I got a couple o fthe cake ones...one is an army seal. Thought I would use it on DS's cards. LOL....boy will he be surprised. There is a very large variety in the cake molds. I got a key, lock, the army seal, some gears and the label holder. The gears were from Mod Podge.....Michaels had a sale and clearance of some of the Mod Podge items. Since I have company this weekend, I won't get to play or go shopping. But maybe next week sometime. I have been making the faux leather notebooks for Xmas presents to family. My niece loved them and thought the rest of the girls in the family would love them and talked me into making them for everyone. So I am making a dozen! WHEW. Just love how the SB cut out the chipboard. I used to be scared of cutting chipboard, but it is just so easy. I cut out a replica of the TH clock and a inticut key and a fleur de lis (doesn't everything I do have to include that?). The label holder is the only thing that isn't paper.

Will be glad to get these done so I can move on to my other "to do" projects. Crafting time has been scarce of late, but hoping that will change.
kim

Postby Angel135612 » June 8th, 2014, 11:07 pm

There is a product from Ranger called Mold N Pour that is a two part mold compound. You mix equal parts of each part and then you can press something into it to create your mold. Example, take a button with a lot of detail, and you can create a mold with that detail. It only takes a few minutes to dry and you can use that mold over and over. You can use resin, or the glue sticks or paper or polymer clays.

I have heard the ice resin is good, but haven't used it. There is also envirotex that is a two par resin that comes in different size bottles. You can mix as much or as little as you need, and can add color or glitters. Search youtube for some videos on using resins.

You could also try using the UTEE in molds, if you have a melting pot just melt that and pour into your molds. It comes in different colors, and you could color the clear or white UTEE or use the perplex or rub n buff on it.
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby Elizabeth » June 9th, 2014, 2:17 pm

I use my regular hot melt glue sticks in the silicone molds and color them with Distress Paints. It usually takes a few layers of paint, but that is part of the fun for me.
IMG_2145.jpg

The small frame towards the bottom of this shot is hot glue in a Mod Podge mold. I used various colors of metallic Distress Paints plus black to get this look. (Just a tip, don't use your heat gun to dry the paint. It will re-melt the glue. Why this didn't occur to me before trying it, I don't know! :ROFLMBO: )
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
http://shrinkingmimsy.blogspot.com/[/url]

Totally addicted to cutting with my new 24 inch Silver Bullet!
Elizabeth

Postby Thyme » June 9th, 2014, 2:24 pm

Looks great!
Thyme

Postby kim » June 9th, 2014, 2:27 pm

Dawn and I must have hit "submit" at the same time and she bumped me off. :ROFLMBO: :ROFLMBO: :ROFLMBO:
Is that hot glue or the Mod Podge stuff that you put in a glue gun? That looks great and is exactly what I am wanting to accomplish.....just don't want it heating up and getting tacky in our Louisiana summer heat.
kim

Postby Gigi » June 9th, 2014, 4:19 pm

That looks terrific Elizabeth - oh my mind is spinning with ideas!!!

LOL on the heat gun! Sounds like something I would do!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Thyme » June 9th, 2014, 4:51 pm

Sorry Kim!
Thyme

Postby Elizabeth » June 9th, 2014, 7:32 pm

Just standard hot melt glue sticks. I haven't tried the Mod Podge stuff, as I figured that what I had would work. I wouldn't think it would melt in hot weather.

It's really fun to play with.
Here's a photo of the entire project.
IMG_2144.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Elizabeth

Postby kim » June 9th, 2014, 7:41 pm

OMG, That is gorgeous. I would have never guessed that you made that with hot glue sticks. I ordered the paperclay since it may be awhile before I get to the store. Can't wait to try it. I really think that the paper clay will be what I am wanting as the resin has a very smooth surface and while it would work on many things, the old, rustic effect I am searching for will probably be better with the paper clay. I got several of those Mod Podge molds and really looking forward to using them to embellish some of my paper projects.

(I am so sick of those notebooks I have been working on.....I have done two dozen now and ready for a change. LOL
kim

Postby Elizabeth » June 9th, 2014, 7:50 pm

Thanks, Kim! I haven't used paper clay for a long time, but you are right about the glue having a slick surface. I saw a video some time ago where a woman took the corrugated part of a piece of cardboard, after removing the flat outer sections, soaked it in water and turned it into a moldable clay like material. She didn't use any binder, just the paper. To separate the layers, she just placed the corrugated cardboard in water for a short time. (Less than a minute, I think, but I can't find the video.) I keep meaning to try this, but after I take off the top layer of the corrugated, I always want to use the result as is, like I did in the project above.

Elizabeth

Postby jobab » June 9th, 2014, 7:57 pm

Love this idea, I had no idea you could do this with hot glue... I have lots of glue sticks lying around doing nothing!!! will have to have a play.
jobab

Cutter: Silver Bullet,Silhouette Cameo,cougar

Postby kim » June 9th, 2014, 8:02 pm

I saw several instructions on how to make paper clay out of toilet paper, one with paper towels, and all kinds of different paper products. Will have to give that a try one day. LOL....like all my "one day" projects.

The resin is great for those things you want great detail and slick surface. I did one of an Army seal and once I color it, I know it will look great as the detail in it is awesome.

I did see somewhere where coloring the resin helps in keeping the illusion of metal.
kim

Return to Off Topic