Wish me luck! - computer change

Wish me luck! - computer change

Postby pigtailpat » March 15th, 2014, 8:06 pm

Tomorrow I am changing computers. My current computer is 10 years old, purchased in 2004. I lost a secondary drive and my boot drive has configuration errors. It's time.

So today I spent a few hours assembling all of my software boxes. Incredible what can be amassed in 10 years time. I also keep all my licenses etc. in folders (you know real ones that you store in a cabinet). I specifically saved my signcut folder etc for the cat. I was getting frustrated as the last box, my illustrator, didn't want to be found. But I found it (yay!). Actually, you know, I don't use illustrator all that much - but when I need it - it can be really crucial to have in a pinch.

Thus, in addition to my normal obsession with sewing, I really may be MIA due to this big change. I'm a little sacred especially about all my adobe licenses transfer to go OK (in light of what is going on at adobe with the new subscription method - whew!). I really feel a clean install is best. Plus there really isn't a good way to go from XP to win 7 anyhow. I decided on win 7 as I have read here and elsewhere about how people feel about win 8 (even with the 8.1 fix).

Hope the computer gods favor me.

Pat
New owner of an 18" cougar and the gazelle...still a newbie at the cougar and will soon explore it............
pigtailpat

Re: Wish me luck! - computer change

Postby PennyDuncan » March 15th, 2014, 8:18 pm

I wish you the best Pat....and for what it's worth...Windows 8 AND 8.1 is WONDERFUL...and not at all as "daunting" as people try to make it!!!!
Have a Blessed Day...Penny Duncan
http://pennyscreativearthaven.blogspot.com
PennyDuncan

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby Gigi » March 15th, 2014, 8:32 pm

Good luck , Pat. And I totally agree with Penny. I have been using Windows 8 since it came out and am now using 8.1. My phone , tablet and computer all sync seamlessly - I don't have to do a thing and I could not be happier.

I am sure you will be fine. Change can be difficult (I don't think I have ever gone that long with one computer system so GOOD for you!!), but it does sounds like it's time. Hoping for the best!
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby Elizabeth » March 16th, 2014, 7:53 am

Good luck, Pat! I am impressed with how long you got by with that 'puter! 10 years, wow!!!!
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
http://shrinkingmimsy.blogspot.com/[/url]

Totally addicted to cutting with my new 24 inch Silver Bullet!
Elizabeth

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby Suzan » March 16th, 2014, 11:47 am

Mine is only a few years old, and I don't even want to change it out. Hubs has worked with windows 8 and says it is great in some ways, horrific in others. I just wanna stay with what I have and not learn anything more. LOL
Suzan
Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart!

http://www.simplycustomforyou.com
Suzan

Cutter: 13" Cougar 15" Silver Bullet

Postby pigtailpat » March 16th, 2014, 5:02 pm

Thanks everyone for your good wishes. Elizabeth - a few years back the original hard disks failed in my XP system, so I replaced those myself and using disk imaging to do it. Now those drives are the ones failing, so it isn't like I had the original system configuration last for 10 years.....((LLOL

Today, I successfully transferred my photoshop, illustrator and corel licenses (corel draw). I also replicated my email and bookmarks via mozbackup. I had a big disappointment though with corel draw, it seems it is a 32 bit program and I have win 7 pro 64 bit (sigh). So there are problems opening it in win 7. Just when signcut becomes compatible with corel, my corel goes south.......

I have not transferred signcut, mtc, scal or any other vector programs yet. I also gotta transfer funtime (which may be pretty difficult - but those programs have dongles so maybe not so bad). I also still have one more major program which is a slideshow program called producer by photodex - and that's a heavy deal as I have shows I prepared in it that have to be considered.

this is really sllllllllloooooooooow going, and on top I still have other deadlines. I haven't sewn or quilted in over a month - and my poor sewing machine sits and stares at me. But at least all my bookmarks and email is ok and I have access to the internet on this box. A dell tech has to make a visit though, as it seems like I have a defective video card, the display port aspect of the card is not working........sigh.........

((::

Pat
New owner of an 18" cougar and the gazelle...still a newbie at the cougar and will soon explore it............
pigtailpat

Postby Suzan » March 16th, 2014, 8:38 pm

Pat I have a Win 7 machine 64 bit, and run Corel 32 bit. No problems.
Suzan

Suzan

Postby pigtailpat » March 16th, 2014, 9:38 pm

then I must be doing something wrong then. I'll ask the dell guy when he comes to fix my card if he knows..........

Pat
pigtailpat

Postby terri » March 16th, 2014, 10:00 pm

Pat, getting funtime up & cutting will be fairly simple... for both cutters. just run the install, run the update, install the driver and setup the plotter codes...
BUT, if you are using gaz3 OR 2010 OR earlier, there are a few steps to make it play nice with win7's security. gaz4 and v2014 resolve those issues. if you need help, catch me on skype...
also, do NOT use the gazzy driver from the disk... use the driver that is posted in the forum, as that driver is digitally signed and plays nicer with win7.
terri

Cutter: ****

Postby pigtailpat » March 17th, 2014, 11:02 am

Hey terri - thanks for that advice. What I'll do is wait for the dell guy to show up, and get the graphics card working so I know I have a display port connection - then I can place the new box in its final resting place. Then I will proceed to do the hardware stuff (like printers, scanners etc.). Then by this weekend coming up, that's aimed at getting all my vector stuff in place (plotters and software).

I feel much better already, knowing my most prized adobe licenses are still protected. I sweated out acquiring them, along with the camera equipment, for quite some time.

XXOOOXXOO to everyone

Pat
pigtailpat

Postby pigtailpat » March 23rd, 2014, 5:30 pm

I'm still in the process of moving the computers. Ughhhhhhhhh. I had to update my quicken from 2001 to new quicken 2014, wasn't easy! There was nothing wrong with the graphic card, it just cannot support 2 inputs at a time, which is something dell support neglected to tell me (double aghhhhhh).

I'm almost ready for the big switch finally, just waiting on one more non-vector program, and then I'm gonna finally do this!

Pat

(PS I just figured out how to get rid of the pen rings in win 7 for my wacom pen...does anyone else wanna know??????????)
pigtailpat

Postby Suzan » March 23rd, 2014, 6:55 pm

I just had to upgrade mine pat. I have been so petrified of windows 8, but found it to be a breeze. Everything loaded right in, include Adobe, and Corel. Amazing.
Suzan

Suzan

Return to Off Topic