Happy Good Day, Everyone!

Happy Good Day, Everyone!

Postby Elizabeth » February 5th, 2014, 9:09 am

Just wanting to wish everyone a terrific day!

It's beautiful here in New England, with the snow coming down fast and heavy. I think I may have to call a snow day and head home to craft! I came in early, and can pretty much leave whenever I want.

Is anyone else excited about the up-coming Olympics? I can't wait to listen and watch while in my craft room. My favorite events are Luge, Bobsled, and Curling, but I watch them all as often as I can!
I will probably set up a spare laptop so that I can watch on one and design/cut with the other.

Happy Crafting!

Elizabeth
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
http://shrinkingmimsy.blogspot.com/[/url]

Totally addicted to cutting with my new 24 inch Silver Bullet!
Elizabeth

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Re: Happy Good Day, Everyone!

Postby Retta » February 5th, 2014, 10:27 am

I love those events too! I also really enjoy figure skating. It is great to be able to do two things at once! Have great day!!
Retta

Cutter: 13" Cat CS4/Inkscape signcut

Postby kim » February 5th, 2014, 3:54 pm

I love the figure skating....I always imagine myself being that graceful. :ROFLMBO: :ROFLMBO: :ROFLMBO:
Mommy to a Silver Bullet 24" , a Black Cat Cougar 24" AND a Foil Master!
kim

Cutter: SB 24" and BC 24"

Postby Elizabeth » February 5th, 2014, 7:28 pm

I'm sure I'll be watching lots of figure skating, too. DD loves it! I do too, when I was little, it was my favorite thing to watch. I love to ice skate, although I haven't done it for several years. Need to dig out my skates and find a rink with some free skate hours.
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Elizabeth

Postby Angel135612 » February 5th, 2014, 7:31 pm

I should have called in on a snow day, the temps here were in the single digits all day, and with the wind chill it was below ZERO most of the day... but only one more work day then I'm off for 11 days!!!! Going some place warm to get out of this snow and cold.
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Postby Retta » February 5th, 2014, 7:57 pm

I was really wishing I was that graceful and looked like that in beautiful costumes! L0L
Retta

Cutter: 13" Cat CS4/Inkscape signcut

Postby kim » February 5th, 2014, 8:09 pm

Diane, I don't know where you will go to be warm. It's even cold down here. At least the rain is gone now. I am so sick of this weather....it's the coldest in years and the rain doesn't help.

Retta, that is what I imagine when I watch the figure skating...it's me up there. LOL.
kim

Postby Elizabeth » February 6th, 2014, 6:49 am

Your vacation sounds wonderful, Diane. Enjoy!!!

Nancy Kerrigan's Vera Wang costumes were the best! She was one elegant girl!

Elizabeth

Postby MeFlick » February 6th, 2014, 8:04 am

Happy Good Day back to everyone. We have been unusually cold for periods this winter and have had one small bout of snow and ice (the same one that shut down Atlanta couple of weeks ago - it wasn't suppose to come this far "North" but it did and we got a couple - 3 inches locally) - have had more in the Mountains. Ober Gatlinburg is having their best winter in a long time for skiing there I gather! Just enough "winter" that I told DH I may have to find a warmer climate for winters in a few years! Another cold bout coming in now. Thankfully the latest storms stayed north of us and the one projected a week or so ago for this weekend is not going to materialize for us. Glad Diane is going to get to go take a vacation in a warmer climate for a few days. Please let us know WHERE we can find it and we may want to join you there!
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Cutter: 18"Silver Bullet & More

Postby Angel135612 » February 6th, 2014, 8:52 am

Kim and MeFlick....I don't announce where I'm going on vacations before I go... just being careful... but going some place warm is relative... ANYTHING that is warmer than single digits is someplace warmer. :-) Even if your area of the country is cold compared to what you normally get, it may be warm compared to what I'm used to here in Colorado.
Right now (6:47AM) it is MINUS 14 degrees out, and the high is expected to be around 19. It's colder right now than it was all day yesterday. Hopefully once the sun comes out, it will warm up quickly. But anything above freezing will be warmer for me. :-)
Angel135612

Postby LisaH » February 6th, 2014, 8:59 am

Graceful I am NOT! But I've always enjoyed the winter olympics more than the summer. I love to watch the bobsledding, curling, figure skating & luge...never have liked the cross country skiing, I get bored really easily with that one! LOL

I agree about Nancy Kerrigan - completely elegant! The other two I really liked were Kristy Yamaguchi & Katarina Witt for the women. Scott Hamilton, Kurt Browning & Viktor Petrenko for the men. And couples Ekaterina Gordeeva and Sergei Grinkov were amazing! I have been out of the loop for so long on this that I don't have a clue who the new kids are! LOL

Enjoy your time off, Diane!
LisaH

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby kim » February 6th, 2014, 10:19 am

LOL....It may be "warmer" down here than what you have but the humidity and winds really make it miserable around here. The cold gets to the bones no matter how many layers you put on. I have had winters where I was actually sweating from all the layers but still bone cold. YUCK!

Enjoy your time off. I plan on going to a crop this Saturday, if all things work out. Still trying to figure out what to take because, so far, it seems as if I am carrying a ton, but still don't have all the things I "think" I need. LOL. Now I know why I don't do crops.

My DS is thinking he might get his first duty station in Colorado Springs! I am hoping!!!! Actually, I will be fine with anything other than Fort Hood, which seems to be the launching point for sending to Afghanistan. He wants Texas so he can be near his girlfriend (Fort Hood is in Texas). I am even okay with overseas, as long as it is NOT Afghanistan. But I put the choice in God's Hands. Otherwise, I would be a basket case. I cannot live with the constant worry of "ifs" but have to take it one day at a time.
kim

Postby Elizabeth » February 6th, 2014, 12:28 pm

Keeping my fingers crossed that you DS gets a good posting, Kim. Have fun at your crop!

Elizabeth

Postby kim » February 6th, 2014, 4:25 pm

Does anyone have an RV I can borrow to carry all my craft stuff to the crop? :ROFLMBO: :ROFLMBO: :ROFLMBO: :ROFLMBO:
kim

Postby Angel135612 » February 6th, 2014, 8:37 pm

Kim, if your DS does get stationed here, you will have to come visit him at least once... and we can meet up. Hopefully where ever he is stationed, he will enjoy it and not have to go to Afghanistan.

Have fun at your crop.. and I hope you get lots of things done. Just go and enjoy the weekend and relax... if you didn't take something you needed, just put that aside until you get home and can get to your supplies.

I will have 4 days to relax and do what ever I want when we get back from our trip, before I have to go back to work.. I'm hoping to spend most of that time getting back to my quilting. I want to practice Free Motion Quilting this year, and get all my quilt tops quilted. I have more tops than I care to admit to, that I need to get quilted, and decided that this is the year I focus on learning to do the actual quilting. I also have been thinking about learning how to do applique, and using my SB to cut out the pieces for that, once I figure out a design I want to do. I just need more time off so I can do all the things I have been wanting to do for years and never took the time to do.
Angel135612

Postby Elizabeth » February 7th, 2014, 8:33 am

LOL, Kim! If you want to come dig it out of the snow, you can borrow my camper!

Diane, that sound so nice, a trip plus time to work in your craft room! ( I love free motion quilting, it is how I did most of my quilts. I could do "stipple" designs all day long. The only thing I didn't like was trying to stuff full sized quilts in my sewing machine to do it. If I had continued quilting, I'm sure I'd have a long arm quilting set-up by now. Have fun!!!!!

Elizabeth

Postby MeFlick » February 7th, 2014, 9:25 am

Diane - Yep, I understand about not "announcing" where or when you are traveling - wouldn't want to come home to someone having broken in and stealing all your stuff! We do the something and tell our kiddos not to tell either - especially on social media! Glad you will get both time away and time at home to craft! Enjoy your trip and your crafting time!

Free motion quilting and a long arm quilter has always intrigued me, but I have not gone further then that - be intrigued! LOL Too many other things I want do - toys err tools I have wanted that got in the way of that. My mother and grandmother quilted. My mom did some by hand and some by machine like Elizabeth and that was what I thought - what a pain trying to get all that through the sewing machine (which is why I think the long arm intrigued me! LOL) Was going to get her one as a 'gift" but never did get around to it (see if she had it - I could then learn later how to do it! LOL) She is in her mid 70's now and recently in declining health so I don't think she could learn to use it now though.

I better get to work on all those ideas I have because I have so many things I want to try and learn to do! I think I already have more "projects" I want to do then I will have time to get to them all even if I live to be a 100! LOL
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Cutter: 18"Silver Bullet & More

Postby Elizabeth » February 7th, 2014, 11:25 am

I better get to work on all those ideas I have because I have so many things I want to try and learn to do! I think I already have more "projects" I want to do then I will have time to get to them all even if I live to be a 100! LOL

Isn't that the truth! Even if I never look at Pinterest, or craft forums or blogs ever again, it would take me the rest of my life to get it all done. (And use all my supplies!) I'm working (well, playing) really hard to get through a large portion of my accumulated stash rather than purchasing more this year. So far, so good, as long as I stay out of the craft stores I do all right. On line, I am finding I can add things to my cart and then remove them, which kind of gives me the thrill of shopping.

(We won't mention my seldom used quilting fabric stash or my collection of spinning wheels and wool! They are not in the plans for this year!)

Elizabeth

Postby Angel135612 » February 7th, 2014, 11:30 am

I have always wanted a long arm quilting machine, but I don't have any place to put one in my current house, too many other crafting tools (like my 24" SB, and two sewing/embroidery machines). I figured if I can quilt my quilts on either of my sewing machines, and get good at it, it will be easier to convince my BF that I NEED a long arm quilting machine, when I retire and we move into a larger house. (LOL I think we are the only people that are looking to go larger when we retire instead of smaller). I'm sure I can get good at it, if I just take the time to practice and work on it consistently. I try to sit at my machine for a few minutes each evening after work and before dinner, and spend some of that time practicing free motion. I have a king size 4 Patch Posie Supreme quilt that needs quilting for our bed, and have been dreading working on that, but can't afford to send it out to be quilted, so I need to do something with it. The hardest part is deciding what design I want to use to do the quilting. I have signed up for some quilting classes on Craftsy, and those help a lot, since I can't take local classes.

I will have to get some pictures of my quilts posted on my (neglected) blog, even if they aren't finished yet. But need to take pictures first... LOL Actually I need to take pictures of my quilts so I can keep them in mind while I'm thinking of quilting designs to use. When they are folded up and put away, I don't think about them, so I may spend some time working on that when we get back from vacation.
Angel135612

Postby Angel135612 » February 7th, 2014, 11:31 am

Elizabeth, if you need to make room, you can send your quilting fabric out here... I'm sure I can find a place to put it... :ROFLMBO: :ROFLMBO: :ROFLMBO: :ROFLMBO: I don't know if I will use it either, but at least you won't have to look at it any more. :D
Angel135612

Next

Return to Off Topic